• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crimping your gas gun loads for higher velocities?

Haagen_dazs

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
Canada
I've been searching and can't find much debate on this topic.

I'm looking into a 30-06 M1 Garand and understand the most desirable powder is IMR/H 4895. I would like to buy only one powder for my 30-06 Springfield, 303 British, and 8mm Mauser, as well as any other milsurps I pick up along the way. This means loading for both bolt and gas guns with the same powder.

I understand having a fast powder is desirable in a gas gun so as to not damage the op rod and have decided to comprimise with <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">IMR 4064</span></span> and load with heavier bullets (162gn instead of the 155 for 30-06) so that there will be more of a pressure spike at the beginning and less pressure on the recoil system thus compensating for the slower powder.

In order to increase pressure at the beginning and reduce pressure on the recoil system, I'm under the impression that crimping the round would be a wise choice. I'm not sure if that's the main purpose of the crimping die and I'd rather not chew up my brass unless it was beneficial.

Not too interested in a variable gas plug as this powder would be used for more than 1 semi automatic.

Please let me know what your methods are. Maybe I should look for a projectile with cannular too?