• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crimson Trace Series 5

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
In my search for a decent 1-8x scope for an AR, I found the Crimson Trace scopes on clearance on MidwayUSA. I debated a while between one of the Series 5s and Bushnell DMR's, as they were basically the same price. I ultimately went with the Bushnell, but still kept watching the scopes. Midway ended up dropping them to $700, so I took a chance on one of the 3-18s.

The scope came in last week, and I have been less than impressed.

First (and most concerning) issue? Turrets aren't firm, and have considerable play/backlash in both directions. Clicks are *sort of* positive, but its far too easy to move them....but the issue with turret "play" is what concerns me the most. Even with both turret knobs completely off, you can physically feel the windage/elevation assemblies move...slop seems to be a good word.

Elevation travel is a total of 20 mil top to bottom, with 10 mil turrets. Crazy thing is, I couldn't find this data anywhere before ordering. It isn't on the CT website, not in the Midway ad, and I never found it searching online.

The reticle, while I prefer the floating center dot, is simply too small. At 3x, its almost completely unusable. I know this is somewhat common with FFP optics, but the odd thing is its still kind of small at 18x...it doesn't completely fill the available lens space. Maybe this is just me nitpicking, but make it a little "larger" and it becomes far more usable at lower powers.

Illumination is not daylight bright, and it isn't even close. If its sunny, or even sort of bright out, the illumination isn't visible.

Parallax adjustment is stiff, but I feel it would get better over time. Mag adjustment feels pretty good, no complaints there.

Eye relief seems to be good, but I haven't mounted it...I will likely be returning it for another Bushnell DMR.

I've compared it a bit with the Bushnell DMR. Optically, I can't tell a lot of difference between the two out to around 150 yards. Granted, I haven't mounted either yet, so I really need to get them to the range to give an honest comparison. I am not sure I'll do that with the CT, as I am so much more impressed with the Bushnell that I will almost certainly be returning the Crimson Trace to swap.

Here are a few pics:

64mQcPD.jpg

iEWelIR.jpg

GhOBjz8.jpg

7YRnZQG.jpg

oYQKWZ6.jpg

cuWe27F.jpg

The Crimson Trace includes a decent set of flip up caps, while the Bushnell just includes a set of covers. Both include batteries, but the Bushnell does have a "switchview" style lever for changing magnification and a sun shade.

0cUCuL5.jpg

6qNqaQO.jpg

V60ET1F.jpg

u2G8l2L.jpg

ccyZgSy.jpg

dLC18Kl.jpg

ezGB4IZ.jpg

The Crimson Trace is a fairly compact scope, given the power range and obj size...but the comparison really shows just how compact the Bushnell is.

Here are the turrets:

pv2M9T7.jpg

Dy5WTcc.jpg

ON0u1hs.jpg

QKc7Pp6.jpg

Once again, I greatly prefer the Bushnell turrets. They are a lot more solid, and the markings are far less cluttered. Both are 10 mil rotations, with the Bushnell offering roughly 30 mil of travel (vs 20 on the CT). The big thing is still the "slop" in the CT turrets. Maybe its a fluke on the scope I have, but they are far from confidence inspiring.

It's difficult to take pics if the reticle, but these should give you an idea.

Here are a couple of the Bushnell at 3x...

20210313_092448_0__jpg-1863450.JPG

..and at 21x.

20210313_092537_jpg-1863452.JPG

As you can see, the reticle remains fully usable at both ends of the spectrum.

Here is the CT at 3x...

20210313_092255_jpg-1863455.JPG

20210313_092255_jpg-1863456.JPG

...and 18x

20210313_092206_jpg-1863457.JPG

Regardless, you can see how "small" the Crimson Trace reticle is at 3x. Given that the illumination is not daytime bright, it becomes almost useless. Given how much space is left over in the FOV at 18x, it seems to reason that it could have easily been larger.

The *only* thing I like better about the CT vs the Bushnell is the reticle, I much prefer the floating dot center. Everything else, the Bushnell wins hands down. Its currently only $100 more at MidwayUSA, and in my opinion, a far better option than the Series 5.

Thanks for the review, I’ve been wondering about the CT scopes.
With them being clearanced out, and not seeing any mention of them here, I kinda figured they weren’t up to par.

A bunch of guys jumped on these Crimson Trace deals on airgun forums I'm apart of. Most think there just amazing but haven't had any higher end scopes. Guys who have had experience with better scopes are all saying these aren't really that great even at there clearance prices. Your review seems to agree with that. I thought about one for a second but went for a different scope.

I have a Series 3..... 5-25x. Knobs do spin quite easily, not a fan of that. Floating dot reticle I like. I would almost never be below 15x so the shrunken reticle is a non-issue. It's a nice Japanese built scope for $499. Shot it today as a matter of fact. It's sitting atop a JP .223 20" Precision AR.

Attachments

• 20210313_180121.jpg
    20210313_180121.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 50
Are you sure you’re only getting 20 mils total? I’m pretty sure they’re closer to 40 mils, I have one on a 338 lapua and dialed 19 mils to a mile last week with clicks left on a 20 moa rail.
Check your zero stop.

Are you sure you’re only getting 20 mils total? I’m pretty sure they’re closer to 40 mils, I have one on a 338 lapua and dialed 19 mils to a mile last week with clicks left on a 20 moa rail.
Check your zero stop.

Thanks for the review. I bought the 3105 and 3525 and have similar observations. The 3525 turrets have some play, not really rotational play but they move laterally. I've seen similar complaints about the Brownells' MPO, which made by the same people. It's noticeable, but not enough to bother me on a $500 scope. The 3525 has the same reticle but it looks pretty good above 20x; so it was probably sized for 25x, but needs be a bit thicker for 18x. The 3525 illumination isn't daylight bright, but the 3105 is, so I assume that was a desired part of the design.

Regarding elevation travel the marketing material, which seems to have been scrubbed from the CT site, indicates it should have 40 mil.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210314-104405~2.png
    Screenshot_20210314-104405~2.png
    296.3 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Gohring65
I guess it's possible the zero stop is limiting travel, but the manual is absolutely worthless...ill have to play around with it and see.

I *think* I have it figured out. I removed the turret completely, and there are over 4+ turns of total elevation from top to bottom...but, no matter how you adjust it, you are limited to 19.5 mils of elevation (regardless of whether you are at the top of elevation travel or not). Not sure what its set up that way, but I found the same thing mentioned in another google search.

What's baffling is the complete lack of information regarding this not only in the manual, but on the website as well.

I found this spec sheet on the web. It was the specs I viewed when I bought the scope. I needed that elevation travel for my lapua. I’ll have to check mine out to see if I can see what your saying. I dial mine to 19 mils often I just never really needed to test it any more because it fills the role nicely. My confusion is, I have a 20 moa rail on my lapua and I dial 19 mils on a scope of only 20 mil total. I wouldn’t even get close to dialing that much elevation out a 20 mil total scope on a 20 moa rail. I’d say the way the zero stop is set up is that it’s only allowing that much travel, but if the zero stop is removed the entire adjustment would be available. I can’t remember, but I think I had another scope that the zero stop would have to be removed to get the total travel.

Attachments

• 9B17231B-F625-44AA-8DC4-B34F61A353B7.png
    9B17231B-F625-44AA-8DC4-B34F61A353B7.png
    896.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I bought one of the 5 series LPVOs. At 50% off it’s not bad. The illumination knob leaves a bit to be desired. Sloppy. I almost ordered a higher mag one to go with it but passed. I would t pay what they want at full price. It’s lacking a lot for that much money.

I have the 1-5 lpvo, so I can only speak to that one, but the answer is a resounding no.
The ring is lit pretty brightly, but the center dot is too small/not bright enough to stand out, so your eye is a touch confused as to where it should focus. The problem sorta resolves itself when you zoom in, as the bright ring disappears, leaving only the softly glowing center dot to focus on.

Hope that helps?😀

That's what I assumed.

I'm actually giving Crimson Trace another chance, and having Midway replace my current one. I'm interested in seeing if the turrets are still the same, hoping that the next one is a little more "solid".

Did a little more playing around with my zero stop on my 3-18. It appears that the zero stop does limit your travel to 19.5 mils of travel. But we are talking 19.5 mils of travel from your zero, so 19.5 usable mils of travel.

I ended up sending the scope back for a replacement. The turrets are better, but there is still movement...it's really not what I would expect out of a Japanese optic. My Bushnell certainly doesn't have the "slop", and neither do the Philippines manufactured Vortex Vipers, Nikon M-Tacticals, or Burris XTR II's I own/owned.

I ended up sending the scope back for a replacement. The turrets are better, but there is still movement...it's really not what I would expect out of a Japanese optic. My Bushnell certainly doesn't have the "slop", and neither do the Philippines manufactured Vortex Vipers, Nikon M-Tacticals, or Burris XTR II's I own/owned.
The 2-Series 4-16×50 turrets felt the same way until you snug them down a second time around. One screw always seemed to be loose after tighten the 3 of them down. The turrets aren't super tight, but this seems like a great optic for the $299 asking price