• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Criterion CORE Barrel Accuracy Evaluation

Molon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
Criterion 16” CORE Barrel Accuracy Evaluation

criterion_core_barrel_002d_resized_copy-2140774.jpg

Well over a decade ago, the late John Noveske was the impetus for bringing modern AR-15 barrel profiles to the civilian market. His 16" CHF N4 barrel profile has the same weight as a government profile barrel of the same length, but it has a more intelligently designed contour that places more of the weight of the barrel from the chamber to the gas block journal and does away with the M203 cut-outs.

noveske_16_inch_n4_barrel_004b__resized-1889078.jpg

Over the last several years we’ve seen the emergence of barrels produced by multiple manufacturers with the specific objectives of balancing weight distribution, heat absorption and handling characteristics while at the same time endeavoring to improve upon the accuracy/precision of old school barrel profiles of similar weight. Criterion Barrels CORE series of barrels is a prime example of this modern approach to profiles for AR-15 barrels.

The Criterion 16” CORE barrel reviewed for this article has a stripped weight of exactly 1 pound, 12.0 ounces. This is the same weight as a Colt 16” government profile barrel. As with the Noveske CHF N4 barrel, the CORE barrel profile has done away with the useless M203 cutouts. More of the barrel material has been shifted to the aft of the barrel for a “continuous taper” profile. The gas block journal for the CORE barrel is 0.625”.

The 16” CORE barrel . . .

criterion_core_barrel_001c-2141226.jpg

The barrel stamp reads: CRITERION 223 WYLDE 1-8

criterion_core_barrel_stamp_001-2141020.jpg

The date code on this barrel reads: 08/21.

criterion_core_barrel_date_code_001-2141006.jpg

The CORE barrel is button-rifled and the bore is hand-lapped. The bore and chamber are chrome-lined. As pictured above, the barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber, a 1:8” twist and utilizes a mid-length gas system. The gas port diameter gauged at 0.078”.

CORE_BARREL_LANDS_002-2260197.jpg

criterion_core_barrel_gas_port_gauge_001-2140823.jpg

The gas block journal has a single dimple contralateral to the gas port.

criterion_core_barrel_gas_block_journal_-2141012.jpg

The barrel extension has M4 feed-ramps, although it is not marked as such like a Colt barrel extension.

criterion_core_barrel_m4_feedramps_001-2140999.jpg

The crown . . .

criterion_core_bore_scope_muzzle_view_00-2214407.jpg

I installed the Criterion 16” CORE barrel in a new Colt cage-code M4 upper receiver and free-floated the barrel with a Geissele MK16 rail. A new JP Enterprises EnhancedBolt closed on a 1.4646” headspace gauge and did not close on a 1.4666” headspace gauge.

criterion-core-carbine-002d.jpg

criterion-core-carbine-004b.jpg

cage_code_upper_receiver_001_resized-2141196.jpg

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Criterion 16” CORE barrel from my bench-rest set-up following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The free-float hand-guard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was used. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

colt_a4_barrel_benchrest_setup_003_resiz-2095577.jpg

The Wind Probe . . .

wind_probe_2016_01_framed-1439099-2096792.jpg

The accuracy evaluation of this barrel began with factory loaded Federal 77 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition. One of the first groups fired from this barrel had an extreme spread of 0.18”. That group is pictured below.

criterion_core_barrel_3_shot_group_77_fg-2140658.jpg

The very next group fired from this barrel had an extreme spread of 1.5”. That 10-shot group is pictured below.

criterion_core_barrel_10_shot_group_77_f-2140660.jpg

A 10-shot group with an extreme spread of 1.5” is perfectly acceptable for a 16” chrome-lined AR-15 barrel with a weight of 1 pound, 12 ounces. However, this barrel isn’t broken-in yet. The bore-scope image shown below was taken prior to any shots being fired. It shows the tooling marks on the lands in the leade, which run perpendicular to the direction of bullet travel.

criterion_core_barrel_tool_marks_in_lead-2140663.jpg

For the barrel to shoot to it’s potential, the sharp edges of these tool marks need to be “burnished” out. So, I continued shooting 10-shot groups using a variety of factory loads and hand-loads.

For comparison, the bore scope view shown below is from the leade of a Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel that's been fully broken-in.

colt_m4a1_socom_barrel_leade_broken_in00-2148264.jpg

As the fired round-count for the CORE barrel approached 150, the size of the groups shrank and became more consistent. At this point, I fired the three 10-shot groups “of record” using one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

0002_55_blitzkings_from_223_krieger_51_t-2140670.jpg

55_blitzking_vs_55_fnj_003-2095539.jpg

The three, 10-shot groups fired in a row from the Criterion 16” CORE barrel from a distance of 100 yards had the following extreme spreads:

1.15”

1.09”

1.13”

for an average 10-shot group extreme spread of 1.12”. The three, 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.39”.

The smallest 10-shot group . . .

criterion_core_barrel_10_shot_group_55_b-2140659.jpg

The 30-shot composite group . . .

criterion_core_barrel_30_shot_composite_-2140757.jpg

criterion_core_barrel_leade_before_and_a-2148265.jpg

molon_signature_005-1357735.jpg

Last edited:
... I always enjoy your posts, very informative & comprehensive without all the BS, kudos! I've been curious about the CORE series and you have answered some of the questions I have, thank you.

...FWIW, have you ever considered doing any reviews of the new Ballistic Advantage "Black" series offerings?

Well over a decade ago, the late John Noveske was the impetus for bringing modern AR-15 barrel profiles to the civilian market. His 16" CHF N4 barrel profile has the same weight as a government profile barrel of the same length, but it has a more intelligently designed contour that places more of the weight of the barrel from the chamber to the gas block journal and does away with the M203 cut-outs.

Over the last several years we’ve seen the emergence of barrels produced by multiple manufacturers with the specific objectives of balancing weight distribution, heat absorption and handling characteristics while at the same time endeavoring to improve upon the accuracy/precision of old school barrel profiles of similar weight. Criterion Barrels CORE series of barrels is a prime example of this modern approach to profiles for AR-15 barrels.

The Criterion 16” CORE barrel reviewed for this article has a stripped weight of exactly 1 pound, 12.0 ounces. This is the same weight as a Colt 16” government profile barrel. As with the Noveske CHF N4 barrel, the CORE barrel profile has done away with the useless M203 cutouts. More of the barrel material has been shifted to the aft of the barrel for a “continuous taper” profile. The gas block journal for the CORE barrel is 0.625”.

The CORE barrel is button-rifled and the bore is hand-lapped. The bore and chamber are chrome-lined. As pictured above, the barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber, a 1:8” twist and utilizes a mid-length gas system. The gas port diameter gauged at 0.078”.

The barrel extension has M4 feed-ramps, although it is not marked as such like a Colt barrel extension.

I installed the Criterion 16” CORE barrel in a new Colt cage-code M4 upper receiver and free-floated the barrel with a Geissele MK16 rail. A new JP Enterprises EnhancedBolt closed on a 1.4646” headspace gauge and did not close on a 1.4666” headspace gauge.

criterion-core-carbine-003.jpg

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Criterion 16” CORE barrel from my bench-rest set-up following my usual protocol. This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any group reduction techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The free-float hand-guard of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was used. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

The Wind Probe . . .

The accuracy evaluation of this barrel began with factory loaded Federal 77 grain Gold Medal Match ammunition. One of the first groups fired from this barrel had an extreme spread of 0.18”. That group is pictured below.

The very next group fired from this barrel had an extreme spread of 1.5”. That 10-shot group is pictured below.

A 10-shot group with an extreme spread of 1.5” is perfectly acceptable for a 16” chrome-lined AR-15 barrel with a weight of 1 pound, 12 ounces. However, this barrel isn’t broken-in yet. The bore-scope image shown below was taken prior to any shots being fired. It shows the tooling marks on the lands in the leade, which run perpendicular to the direction of bullet travel.

For the barrel to shoot to it’s potential, the sharp edges of these tool marks need to be “burnished” out. So, I continued shooting 10-shot groups using a variety of factory loads and hand-loads.

As the fired round-count approached 150, the size of the groups shrank and became more consistent. At this point, I fired the three 10-shot groups “of record” using one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

The three, 10-shot groups fired in a row from the Criterion 16” CORE barrel from a distance of 100 yards had the following extreme spreads:

1.15”

1.09”

1.13”

for an average 10-shot group extreme spread of 1.12”. The three, 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.39”.

Much appreciated Molon. My 14.5 Core just arrived. I’m excited to put it through its paces.

Another great write up all based in facts. I have learned a lot reading these posts through the years.

criterion-core-carbine-004b.jpg

The Wind Probe . . .

As the fired round-count approached 150, the size of the groups shrank and became more consistent. At this point, I fired the three 10-shot groups “of record” using one of my standard match-grade hand-loads topped with Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings. When fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15s, this load has produced ½ MOA 10-shot groups at 100 yards.

1.15”

1.09”

1.13”

Another top notch Molon post, thank you!

Ordered June 5, received October 10.
That's not that bad. They're currently showing a 7-9 month backorder delay for the Core series. Do you recall what they were saying it was when you ordered? (Should have included that in my first question, sorry).

That's not that bad. They're currently showing a 7-9 month backorder delay for the Core series. Do you recall what they were saying it was when you ordered? (Should have included that in my first question, sorry).
3 months I believe it was. I remember thinking I’d likely have it September, so pretty close.

Great info.... as always, Thank You Molon.

I also would have preferred a slightly smaller gas port size. But, that isn't to difficult to fix.

It would be interesting to see if precision improves as the round count goes up.... my other Criterion's have , but none were CL. ( FWIW )

All that said... I still like the barrels profile far more than a typical USGI contour. And would be comfortable with the groups shown from the CORE barrel.

Reactions: Baron85
Great info.... as always, Thank You Molon.

I also would have preferred a slightly smaller gas port size. But, that isn't to difficult to fix.

It would be interesting to see if precision improves as the round count goes up.... my other Criterion's have , but none were CL. ( FWIW )

All that said... I still like the barrels profile far more than a typical USGI contour. And would be comfortable with the groups shown from the CORE barrel.

I wish they offered a midlength 11.5 or 12.5 option in their CORE series. Triarcs an option but they have the pencil profile.

Can anyone measure the journal length? I am considering a CORE 13.9" barrel to replace my 16" barrel but I want to make sure it will work with my Superlative Arms piston kit. I bought a BA Hanson barrel and just found out it won't work. BA said their 1" gas journal is not compatible. I have heard that the gas port openening is closer to the chamber but BA said they would not confirm that.

Can anyone measure the journal length? I am considering a CORE 13.9" barrel to replace my 16" barrel but I want to make sure it will work with my Superlative Arms piston kit. I bought a BA Hanson barrel and just found out it won't work. BA said their 1" gas journal is not compatible. I have heard that the gas port openening is closer to the chamber but BA said they would not confirm that.
Without taking my handguard off I can tell you my 14.5" Core GB journal is at least twice as long as the block, so 2" ish.
But looking at the Superlative website pics it sure appears that the gas block in the piston kit is standard 1". Have you tried it yet?
Your last sentence lost me, I have no idea what you mean there.

Without taking my handguard off I can tell you my 14.5" Core GB journal is at least twice as long as the block, so 2" ish.
But looking at the Superlative website pics it sure appears that the gas block in the piston kit is standard 1". Have you tried it yet?
Your last sentence lost me, I have no idea what you mean there.

It is definitely 1" as I suspected too. I just measured it. I bought a BA Hanson barrel and later found Ballistic Advantage says they are not compatible with piston kits but they sell Superlative Arms adjustable gas blocks (DI versions). I read online the problem is the gas port is closer to the chamber so the gas tube might need to be cut but BA said they won't work because they have 1" gas journals and they would not divulge any information on gas port location. So I have no idea what's true but the journal on my existing barrel is the same as the Criterion barrel.

BA uses standard gas port locations, there should be no trimming of gas tubes. For example if you have a mid gas barrel and a mid piston everything should be kosher. BA's answer sounds like standard lawyer speak for "we haven't tested it so don't do it because we don't want to field phone calls about technical questions we don't have answers for"

....gas port locations are pretty much standard across all manufacturers so I would imagine Superlative Arms follows that same standard, making a gas port location in their gas blocks that is proprietary wouldn't make good for good business. I think what BA might have been trying to convey is they could not guarantee proper functioning with a piston kit as the diameter of the gas port holes they drill in their barrels is "optimized" for DI systems. That isn't to say that BA barrels wouldn't work with piston kits, I've seen many posts in multiple forums over the years of folks using BA barrels with piston kits successfully.

I thought the dame thing. I think everyone would be complaining about proprietary gas tubes but this reddit post is what has me scratching my head more:

I thought the dame thing. I think everyone would be complaining about proprietary gas tubes but this reddit post is what has me scratching my head more:

...if the SA gas block for the piston kit is longer than the BA Hanson's gas journal, then you would have some overhang at the front of the of the block, creating potential for gas leakage and compromised securing if the front set screw is forward or overlapping where the step between journal and barrel profile forward of gas block occurs. Alignment between the op-rod and cloverleaf hole in upper for gas tube/op-rod passage shouldn't be an issue as that is a standard height dimension, although the SA's piston gas block can encounter fitment issues with some lo-pro handguards due the size of the tube the op-rod fits into. You could always do a mock-up of it to determine the actual case.

Also, SA recommends NOT butting the gas block up against the step behind the gas journal, recommend using a feeler gauge (.005, IIRC) to ensure the gas port in the gas block aligns with the gas port hole in the barrel, but you can always measure with calipers the distance from the back of the gas port hole in barrel to the shoulder as well as same with gas blocks gas port to rear edge of gas block to compare.

Last edited:
Approximately 1.95".

core_barrel_gas_block_journal_002c-2151687.jpg

With the SLR gas block . . .

core_gas_block_journal_004b2-2151688.jpg

Thanks for the information! My BA barrel arrived and it is 1" journal and my Sup Arms piston gas block is also 1". The port hole 10-3/16" from the end of the barrel (breach side). I have to wait to take apart my rifle compare with my 16". Any chance you can confirm gas port location on the CORE? I think that will be better for me since it has 625 journal and that matches my SupArms gas block. The Hanson is .750.

...interesting that they appear to use a bit that appears to be a milling bit, not a bit that produces a divot with sloped sides ala "V" shaped...:unsure:(y)

I think they do that so the set screw's taper evenly engages the hole to ensure centering. I like it as I've had issues with v-shaped divots not playing well with the set screw taper.

....I'm kind of curious about their new "Black" series, the nitrided SS barrels as far as longevity in comparison to a chromed bore,, not to mention the smoothness of the bore before the QPQ process is applied ala the "lapped" before chroming...
Are these actually lapped? Their website doesn't indicate it, and the price is inline with typical button rifled barrels.

Are these actually lapped? Their website doesn't indicate it, and the price is inline with typical button rifled barrels.
...unknown, I haven't asked, but my experience with MY BA tubes is they are pretty clean to begin with and after a few rounds down the tube, even more so...

..also, since their partnering with Aero (more funding) and branching into OEM supplying, by virtue of producing larger quantities, they can keep costs lower due to bulk purchasing of materials, IMHO.

...unknown, I haven't asked, but my experience with MY BA tubes is they are pretty clean to begin with and after a few rounds down the tube, even more so...
That's not my experience, they looked like a typical, chattery & unlapped button rifle barrel. BA doesn't seem to claim these are lapped, so internally they're likely the same as every other BA barrel.

Reactions: mgrs and GhostFace
Anybody have any insight in getting a Core series anytime soon? Criterion says 7-9 months if you pay now. They gave me the name of the company that just received the most recent allotment, but they were pre-sold.

That's not my experience, they looked like a typical, chattery & unlapped button rifle barrel. BA doesn't seem to claim these are lapped, so internally they're likely the same as every other BA barrel.

Mine was chattery with a rough throat and significant gas port burr, as well as some other odd machining artifacts. It made significant copper fouling for the first 100 or so rounds but settled in to shoot well enough.

FWIW... Criterion had some of the 16" Mid-Length gas in stock over the weekend.

Recently built the AR upper with this exact same barrel. Read some similar build questions so here I go.

I built it using criterion core 16” using V7 titanium micro muzzle brake. Headspace BCM bolt with SA carrier.

Gas block is Superlative arms piston clamp on system. Had hard time finding a handguard that won’t touch this gas block so I am going with ergo handguard that has ID of 2.1”

Got lmt lower with sd-e trigger and optic is Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44

First time I took it out yesterday was able to get good bulls eye accuracy at 100yds but it was not consistent. I wonder if it’s not broken in yet as the OP stated

Last edited:
Thank you Molon! As for break-in: Would a CL barrel take longer to break in than a nitrided 4150 or 416 stainless barrel? It seems the chrome would be pretty impervious to the wear implied in breaking in.

Thank you Molon! As for break-in: Would a CL barrel take longer to break in than a nitrided 4150 or 416 stainless barrel? It seems the chrome would be pretty impervious to the wear implied in breaking in.

When evaluating the precision of a chrome-lined barrel, I'll typically fire 200 rounds through it before shooting the "groups of record."