• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Critique my budget 7mm PRC build

Saluki2003

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
San Diego
I’m planning to build a 7mm PRC with the goal being to use this rifle for some precision shooting and work my way up to being able to hit steel on the 900 yard range. And possibly for a future Elk hunt. I do lots of hiking with heavy ruck bag and I’m used to carrying my heavy Remington 700 SPS tactical so I’d rather not sacrifice accuracy to save a few ounces on the rifle.

I’d also like to keep this under $2.5k for the rifle. Already have the optic.

7 PRC Build List
Zermatt Arms Origin Action

Preferred Barrel Blanks 22” pre-fit taperless .850 (Flutes?)

Brake (which one?)

MDT Oryx

Timney 2 stage (TriggerTech?)

Any suggestions or different recommendations are welcome.

Last edited:
Would you guys recommend the 22” or going with a 24-26” barrel?

Any suggestions for different parts?

Would you guys recommend the 22” or going with a 24-26” barrel?

Any suggestions for different parts?
Don’t have a 7prc and probably never will but barrel length doesn’t dictate accuracy, so go with whatever length/performance you’re after. If you’re gonna hang a can off the end I personally like 18” barrels. My 18” 300 Norma shoots 225s at 2875 so I’m sacrificing speed but not enough I give a shit. As far as brakes go; salmon river solution or Ryan Pierce (piercision) get my vote both are absolutely excellent especially in shorter barrels in my findings. No experience with any other trigger other than trigger tech. I like the 2 stage special from them. No expert with preferred barrel blanks. Have had great results with carbon proofs, bartleins and carbon6 barrels.

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, I like longer barrels... Hornady developed all their data on 24" tubes so I would tend to go at least that long if not 26". Something around medium palma is a good weight but still manageable for offhand shots if the rest of the package isn't overly heavy. Out west the barrel length isn't a penalty trying to get thru heavy woods or such.

I like where you head is at for barrel profile, only I would go longer but thats personal preference. I've had no issues with Preferred they have been solid shooters for me. The flutes won't do too much for weight but look great.

Area 419 or MDT self timing brakes are great

Trigger Tech for the trigger

Should be a shooter!

Reactions: Saluki2003
I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, I like longer barrels... Hornady developed all their data on 24" tubes so I would tend to go at least that long if not 26". Something around medium palma is a good weight but still manageable for offhand shots if the rest of the package isn't overly heavy. Out west the barrel length isn't a penalty trying to get thru heavy woods or such.

I like where you head is at for barrel profile, only I would go longer but thats personal preference. I've had no issues with Preferred they have been solid shooters for me. The flutes won't do too much for weight but look great.

Should be a shooter!
Barrel length out west definitely dictated and created my opinion lol I live in Oregon and only hunt the west. A long barrel is annoying AF when it’s strapped to your pack going thru the jungles out here ESPECIALLY if you hunt/shoot with a can. If you road hunt then barrel length or weight wouldn’t matter. A lightweight rifle with a good brake is 100% tameable and makes for a great shooting experience and will make heavy hitting cartridges like a 300 Norma etc shoot able all day long. Hornady released that data using a 24” barrel so people would think it’s fast. If they posted numbers with a 18” barrel specs people probably wouldn’t drink the koolaid. I personally just think all the prc’s are kinda whack and are only popular because of how much money they spend on marketing

Barrel length out west definitely dictated and created my opinion lol I live in Oregon and only hunt the west. A long barrel is annoying AF when it’s strapped to your pack going thru the jungles out here ESPECIALLY if you hunt/shoot with a can. If you road hunt then barrel length or weight wouldn’t matter. A lightweight rifle with a good brake is 100% tameable and makes for a great shooting experience and will make heavy hitting cartridges like a 300 Norma etc shoot able all day long. Hornady released that data using a 24” barrel so people would think it’s fast. If they posted numbers with a 18” barrel specs people probably wouldn’t drink the koolaid. I personally just think all the prc’s are kinda whack and are only popular because of how much money they spend on marketing
While you're out west, you're not in the same high desert area many of us are. You guys are actually in rain forest compared to us. Thats the beauty of being able to build a custom system nowadays, you get it just like you want it. You've got to be crazy using an 18" tube on a 300NM... Be interesting to see your muzzle flash after dark, I bet there is a heck of a flame coming out of there. Sounds like you are getting good velocities considering your barrel length. What suppressor are you running?

While you're out west, you're not in the same high desert area many of us are. You guys are actually in rain forest compared to us. Thats the beauty of being able to build a custom system nowadays, you get it just like you want it. You've got to be crazy using an 18" tube on a 300NM... Be interesting to see your muzzle flash after dark, I bet there is a heck of a flame coming out of there. Sounds like you are getting good velocities considering your barrel length. What suppressor are you running?
That is true. Very different areas on the west. We are definitely in the jungle compared to others. I still wouldn’t want a long ass barrel on any gun I own anymore though except for my next build which I think is gonna be a 33xc. Probably do a 30-32” tube on it. My can is in jail still. I got a diligent defense LTI. I absolutely love the dudes at DDC and will buy from them forever especially since they used to run White trash tactical before the atf changed f1 rules. (Wtt was a form 1 company). As far as flash at night idk it’s probably atrocious but I’m not getting shot back at so giving away my position is a worry I’ll never care about. I had a 26” 300 Norma and loved everything about it aside from the length. Damn rifle was a boat paddle lol

Don’t have a 7prc and probably never will but barrel length doesn’t dictate accuracy, so go with whatever length/performance you’re after.
but the extra velocity from longer barrels helps on wind calls and unknown distances. the extra weight also helps stabilize the gun. if you're just shooting paper and steel, and don't need energy on animals, i'd consider going with a lighter-recoiling caliber, easier to spot hits and misses.

How often do you see going to the range and ringing steel?
The reason I ask, the 7 PRC, like any medium bore magnum cartridge, is overbore. Not as bad as some, worse than others.
The 7 prc is a well designed cartridge and will do exactly as you ask, but barrel life will be rather short. Maybe 1500 rounds if you're careful.
Here's my. 02 cents.
If you still have the sps (I'm guessing. 308), I would put it in an oryx chassis and build a trainer version of your custom build.
As far as your build goes, looks pretty good. Barrel length, if you're not running a suppressor, I'd go with 24 or 26 inches. Suppressed, 22 inches. I would also look to a slightly lighter profile for a hunting rifle.

I’m planning to build a 7mm PRC with the goal being to use this rifle for some precision shooting and work my way up to being able to hit steel on the 900 yard range. And possibly for a future Elk hunt. I do lots of hiking with heavy ruck bag and I’m used to carrying my heavy Remington 700 SPS tactical so I’d rather not sacrifice accuracy to save a few ounces on the rifle.

7 PRC Build List

Brake (which one?)

MDT Oryx

TriggerTech is my preferred, but Timney builds a nice trigger, too. I have a Timney in my Ruger American Ranch, and tuned it down to around 1.5 lbs...It's crisp. My 700's are running TriggerTech Primary's tuned down to 1.5 lbs. The best muzzle brake is a Suppressor. 😏

Should be a shooter!
I’ll take a look at the weight differences of 20”, 22”, 24” and 26”.

What cartridge would you recommend for shooting from a shorter barrel if not the 7 PRC?

How often do you see going to the range and ringing steel?
The reason I ask, the 7 PRC, like any medium bore magnum cartridge, is overbore. Not as bad as some, worse than others.
The 7 prc is a well designed cartridge and will do exactly as you ask, but barrel life will be rather short. Maybe 1500 rounds if you're careful.
Here's my. 02 cents.
If you still have the sps (I'm guessing. 308), I would put it in an oryx chassis and build a trainer version of your custom build.
As far as your build goes, looks pretty good. Barrel length, if you're not running a suppressor, I'd go with 24 or 26 inches. Suppressed, 22 inches. I would also look to a slightly lighter profile for a hunting rifle.
Thanks for the info on the barrel life. 1500 rounds would take me quite a while to send down range. I’ve got 2 little kids and the closest long range is about an hour drive.

What cartridge would you recommend for shooting from a shorter barrel if not the 7 PRC?
I personally like the 300wsm as far as SA magnums are concerned. Probably nothing wrong with shooting a 7prc from a shorter barrel aside from loss of performance which is to be expected but there’s give/take with everything.

7 PRC Build List

Brake (which one?)

MDT Oryx

Contact James @ Northland Shooter Supply. He talked me through ordering a shorter, lighter 270 barrel to go with my heavier 280AI barrel. I got exactly what I wanted and I hit my weight target - 7.5lbs.

Little things like:
- using a barrel nut vs a shouldered Prefit to save weight.

A suggestion for putting any barreled action in an Oryx chassis (I have two rifles in Oryx chassis and one in an MDT LSS Gen 2.) Get the Limbsaver Airtech slip-on recoil pad. The butt pad on the Oryx has no forgiveness, it is hard plastic. And no one, not even Falcon Strike, makes a hydraulic recoil pad for these chassis. I have personally talked on the phone with an engineer at Falcon Strike, BTW.

Other stocks, such as Boyd, do offer stocks with 1 inch pads.

Certainly, the factory offerings are 24 inch barrels. Others have said that is a bit long to carry, especially with a suppressor. I, like you, would rather design my weight allowances and carrying kit to fit the rifle I need, even if I have to carry one less bag of skittles. (We all have to make sacrifices.)

I don't use a supressor and I am still a bit wary of that whole government data base thing. However, get one if you can. I use a muzzle brake. And hearing protection.

My brake for my 7 PRC is ASR by Silencerco. It is okay and have it on my other threaded rifles and it does pretty good because it goes to the side instead of back, so I am spared the noise. However, it needs to be timed. For me, that is not a hardship. In fact, whiskey makes the whole process of going between different crush washers not such an "ordeal."

Last edited:
There are several people who have videos with data running 7PRC in barrels 18”-26”, the drop off in speed is minimal as in 100fps or less. Search in YouTube and validate for yourself.

There are several people who have videos with data running 7PRC in barrels 18”-26”, the drop off in speed is minimal as in 100fps or less. Search in YouTube and validate for yourself.
It’s usually pretty minuscule but people like to think they’ll notice having to dial another 2 tenths lol

Reactions: Rumblestrip
A suggestion for putting any barreled action in an Oryx chassis (I have two rifles in Oryx chassis and one in an MDT LSS Gen 2.) Get the Limbsaver Airtech slip-on recoil pad. The butt pad on the Oryx has no forgiveness, it is hard plastic. And no one, not even Falcon Strike, makes a hydraulic recoil pad for these chassis. I have personally talked on the phone with an engineer at Falcon Strike, BTW.

Other stocks, such as Boyd, do offer stocks with 1 inch pads.

Certainly, the factory offerings are 24 inch barrels. Others have said that is a bit long to carry, especially with a suppressor. I, like you, would rather design my weight allowances and carrying kit to fit the rifle I need, even if I have to carry one less bag of skittles. (We all have to make sacrifices.)

I don't use a supressor and I am still a bit wary of that whole government data base thing. However, get one if you can. I use a muzzle brake. And hearing protection.

My brake for my 7 PRC is ASR by Silencerco. It is okay and have it on my other threaded rifles and it does pretty good because it goes to the side instead of back, so I am spared the noise. However, it needs to be timed. For me, that is not a hardship. In fact, whiskey makes the whole process of going between different crush washers not such an "ordeal."
Thanks for the heads up on the oryx!

I’m in California so I won’t be getting a suppressor. Definitely will be using a brake and hearing protection though.

If no suppressor then go 24" unless you need it to be compact.

I really don't like the Oryx chassis, especially on a hunting rifle, too "sharp and pointy", I'd go for a KRG Bravo instead, handles like a stock but has chassis advantages.

Reactions: Ronws
What bottom metal are you going with?

I have had good luck the the APA and Area 419 brakes. I just had a Ti SRS brake installed on my 7 SAUM. Im hoping to get out and shoot it tomorrow.

Lots of good triggers. Do your research and get the one that sounds best to you. I have a TImney HIT and Triggertech right now. I like both.

Thats going to be a stout rife when you're all done. If you're good with it then great. A 14lb rifle is going to where on anyone during a long hunt though.

What bottom metal are you going with?

I have had good luck the the APA and Area 419 brakes. I just had a Ti SRS brake installed on my 7 SAUM. Im hoping to get out and shoot it tomorrow.

Lots of good triggers. Do your research and get the one that sounds best to you. I have a TImney HIT and Triggertech right now. I like both.

Thats going to be a stout rife when you're all done. If you're good with it then great. A 14lb rifle is going to where on anyone during a long hunt though.
Oryx chassis would be a dbm setup

Oryx chassis would be a dbm setup
Oh. . Duh . . Lol. Missed that part. Good call. I was just going to give some feedback on BDL vs DBM in the origin. I’ve done both. DBM is the way to go. Best of luck on the build.

Reactions: simmonzz
Oh. . Duh . . Lol. Missed that part. Good call. I was just going to give some feedback on BDL vs DBM in the origin. I’ve done both. DBM is the way to go. Best of luck on the build.
Totally agree dbm