• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Critique my build

UndFrm

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2022
CA
I am looking to build a long range rifle, to be used in competition (PRS) and target shooting. On a fairly tight budget and to be noted: these are based on the availability in Canada

• Zermatt action SA - 308 bolt face for 6mm BR. Another bolt face for 6.5PRC
  • IBI heavy barrel, undecided on the length for either of the 2 calibers. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • MDT LSS gen 2 chassis
  • Trigger tech trigger - Looking at diamond or special.
Decided the Zermatt action based on the price, in stock as well as in stock bolt faces.

IBI due to the budget, can get others including Proof but the budget goes beyond.

Chassis, looks ideal for comp.
Glass I am putting on hold ATM.

Advice welcome! Are there any cheaper options that I should be looking at? Know that there are definitely the expensive ones 😄.

Thank you

The fore end on the LSS chassis is fairly twisty.
Installing an ARCA rail would help the rigidity.

I’m a huge MDT guy but I think that the best chassis on a budget is the KRG Bravo.

Last edited:
Reactions: wind gypsy
Yea wouldn’t really recommend the LSS I’d say KRG bravo or if not MDT XRS. Depends what your budget is and I’m not super familiar with CA prices. What companies typically have good prices for y’all?

ETA: for barrel length there’s no reason not to go long with 26-28” for the BR. On the PRC I’d also do the same unless you need shorter for hunting or something.

Good choice on the Origin, I've got several and they just work.

No experience with IBI, but I use Southern Precision Rifles for Bug Nut prefits using Bartlein blanks. Lots of other good choices, like Patriot Valley Arms, KI Precision, ICE Rifles, 5x5 Precision, etc. No idea what you're limits are as far as getting those shipped to Canada.

When it comes to cartridge selection, the biggest question you need to ask yourself is, will you reload or buy factory ammo? If you reload, 6BR, 6GT, 6dasher, 6Creedmoor and 6.5Creedmoor are all popular choices. If you are buying factory ammo, consider 6.5Creedmoor, 6Creedmoor.

For PRS you will likely want a longer front rail than what the LSS Gen 2 provides. The LSS Gen 2 is not ideal for PRS. The KRG Bravo is a good choice for a budget option. Check the PX here for used chassis that are better suited to PRS than the LSS and Bravo, for instance MDT ACC Elite, MPA BA Comp, MPA Matrix Pro, MPA ESR. Those might be a little higher than your budget, but you will eventually be changing out the LSS anyway once you start competing and find out the hard way. Buy once, cry once. I'm a big fan of the MPA Matrix Pro, I've got 5. Whatever you end up going with, make sure it has ARCA rail or it can be added with a rail from mfgs like Area419.

Oh, and Diamond all the way.

For those recommending barrels from the USA.
OP is in Canada as am I.
It will end up costing him an additional $250- $400 and add 2 months or more to privately import a barrel due to ITAR regulations.

I have 3 IBI’s and no complaints
Other Canadian options are KS Arms which supplies the national F-Class team.
Jury Barrels out of Alberta and JC-Customs out of New Brunswick.

I haven’t personally dealt with the others but I know others that have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickentoast
For those recommending barrels from the USA.
OP is in Canada as am I.
It will end up costing him an additional $250- $400 and add 2 months or more to privately import a barrel.

I have 3 IBI’s and no complaints

Serious question. What other options do you have in Canada for barrels?

Sometimes, you gotta pay to play...

I would echo the statements on the LSS chassis.

I built my daughter’s rifle using the MDT LSS XL for more fore end.
I needed an AR buttstock to shorten her LOP (she was 10) and didnt want to wait the months of an Element.
I like the MDT paddle mag release more too.
Worked great. Quite accurate.
Installed a full length M Lock Arca rail for bipod and tripod attachment after some time. Added little weight and lots of versatility.

Sorry you have to deal with sucky gun laws.
We do too, just not as sucky as yours.

Repeat statement on LSS. Although this is the gen1, they are short and narrow. The Bravo is a good alternative, adding an arca rail might work.
A2603A84-A1A2-4E01-A7F0-520FBFEBC930.jpeg

Reactions: powdahound76
This is my Gen 2 LSS-XL I ordered the longest MDT ARCA rail on information given to me.
It did not fit on the rifle and I had to file off the front most indexing bump on the rail I touched it up with Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.
It’s hidden under the chassis and can’t be seen.
upload pictures online

Another one here to vote against the LSS. I had mine fully kitted up similar to the last photo...

Area 419 arca rail was required to remove the fore-end flex.

You may just want to look at picking up a used other model chassis instead?

Got it, no LSS for the purpose. Thank you for the valuable input.

Other thing I should mention, the idea with the selected configuration is to switch barrels (and therefore the calibers) myself at home without the need of a gunsmith.

For the barrel availability, I have access to IBI (economical), PROOF, JC, KS Arms, Jury.
If it's absolutely worth to shell the extra money, I'll consider that too. Buy once, cry once. But cannot apply that to everything because then I won't have enough to complete the build.

Thank you

Got it, no LSS for the purpose. Thank you for the valuable input.

Other thing I should mention, the idea with the selected configuration is to switch barrels (and therefore the calibers) myself at home without the need of a gunsmith.

For the barrel availability, I have access to IBI (economical), PROOF, JC, KS Arms, Jury.
If it's absolutely worth to shell the extra money, I'll consider that too. Buy once, cry once. But cannot apply that to everything because then I won't have enough to complete the build.

Thank you

After 3 proof barrels, Im not personally recommending (or buying) a proof barrel again.

The fool me once thing took a while to set in. I no longer see it as a high quality option, I now see it is a "higher priced off the shelf offering".

I would spend the money on a shop spinning up a barrel. You have different places to shop in canada, I'd call/email a few and see who offers prefits for the action you chose, and then get some based on reviews/recommendations of others locally who also compete.