• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Critique my long term rifle storage packing, please...

Beyschaefer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Behind the Redwood Curtain, CA
Not sure what sub-forum this best belongs in. This one seemed appropriate.

Due to a frustrating set of circumstances, I have had to down-size from a house to a small apartment. So my several dozen rifles had to be packed up and off to storage in a secret, undisclosed, location. :(

I would like a critique of how I have stored many of them.
First, a coat of Boeshield rust inhibitor (a waxy spray... no petroleum, no silicone).
Packed in a mylar bag (air-tight) with a VPI chip inside, air sucked out, and sealed shut.
In several cases, two rifles were "married" together with 5" wide packing cling-film (like saran-wrap, used to wrap pallets and stuff), so two rifles could snuggle in one expensive Mylar bag.
Then into a long rifle box, taped shut.

I am hoping that no harm will come to them in the near future, until I'm financially solvent again, and have a place with space for gun safes!
Honestly, I'm looking for validation that I haven't condemned myself to cleaning rust off my Win 52C, my BSA Martini 12/15, my 1903A3, Garand, etc etc...

No comment has been made about temperature extremes in the storage locale. As such, your process has been interesting in the very least.

Seems like what you've done is overkill...but, to each his own.

Probably just wiping them down with a good gun oil and running an oiled patch down the tube would be probably do the job. Keep each gun stored in a silicon gun sock and you should be golden.

If humidity is a big concern, use silica gel canisters like you would have in a gun safe...if you have electric in the unit, run a dehumidifier rod (I don't know how big the storage area is, so, this may not be effective). Once the silica gel becomes saturated, you can put the canisters in the oven to dry them out and reuse....I use the ones made by Cannon. Cannon Safe SGD57 Silica Gel Dehumidifier - Amazon.com

Check on them every other month and keep wiping them down with an oiled rag...

If the mylar bags are truly air tight, and stay that way, you're good to go.

If not, all bets are off, particularly in areas with high humidity and/or large temperature swings.

You didn't mention any particular bore treatment... were it me, I would have left an oily bore snake in each barrel.

Way too overboard.

Next time, just send them down here. I have room in the safe for 'em. :D

No comment has been made about temperature extremes in the storage locale. As such, your process has been interesting in the very least.

Quite correct.. I was remiss with that detail. My "storage location" is, well, let's say it's a typical garage. Humidity is moderately high (less than a mile from the ocean), and year-round temps vary between about 40 degrees and 74 degrees. Seldom, but very occasionally, outside that range.

Thrusty;
Unfortunately, I won't really be able to check them every other month, and unsealing the mylar bags would defeat the purpose of having them in a sealed, airtight, container.

I am HOPING that the layer of Boeshield on the metal (including the bores), AND excluding atmospheric humidity is going to work for the long term... I don't know if this arrangement is for six months, or years and years.

Well if you're talking long-term storage....like you'll likely never see them for a year or more....then air-tight is the way to go.
I was assuming you had access and were just being a doomsday prepper. lol

If the mylar bags are truly air tight, and stay that way, you're good to go.

If not, all bets are off, particularly in areas with high humidity and/or large temperature swings.

You didn't mention any particular bore treatment... were it me, I would have left an oily bore snake in each barrel.

The bores are treated with Boesheild. I am hoping that even if the bags become unsealed, the Boesheild will protect the metal inside and out. Boeshield is actually rated to use on steel in a "condensing environment" to protect against rust.
Let's hope I don't need to test that... I think the sealed bags should hold.

Well if you're talking long-term storage....like you'll likely never see them for a year or more....then air-tight is the way to go.
I was assuming you had access and were just being a doomsday prepper. lol

Nah... what good are guns you have to pull out of a bag come doomsday? ;)
I HOPE it won't be a year or more... but I am preparing for the eventuality that it might be several years.

Essentially a good plan. I have used the mylar bags and T-9 as you have. I was not impressed with the little yellow plastic rust-inhibitor chips Brownells sells, the VCI paper works better, but with everything coated with T-9, probably not needed.

I do include a dessicant pack in each mylar bag, as you can't really suck all the air out, so hopefully that will soak up the residual amount of humidity. Bores/chamber were coated with T-9 or a good greasy patch with whatever grease you have on hand?