• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Critique my reloading procedure

BC 6.8

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 31, 2013
SC
I've been reloading for about 6 months and I need some help from you guys that know much more than me. I only reload for 223/5.56 and 6.8 SPC right now, but will eventually reload for some bolt actions. I have a few loads that seem to work pretty well, but I need some help with my reloading procedure. I will concentrate on 223 for now, but I use the same steps for 6.8.

Reloading steps:
- Deprime brass with Lee decapping die
- Clean using STM
- Resize with FL dies to bump the shoulder back .003"
- Uniform and ream primer pockets, uniform flash holes, trim, chamfer case mouth inside and out
- Clean off sizing lube using STM
- Dispense charge using Hornady Auto Charge and check on RCBS 502 beam scale (I reject loads on the beam scale that appear to be off by more than 0.05 gr. I know the scale is not accurate to 0.05 gr, but measurements are all relative.)
- Load charge and seat bullet
- Check ogive length (+/-0.001)

I'm reloading with 1x fired Hornady brass right now, but I have some LC brass that I want to test. I separate my brass into 1 gr lots. I run a load of 24.3 gr Re15/ 75 gr HPBT through my AR15 with a SS 1:8" twist, 18" BHW barrel. I did an OCW test to find this load. Accuracy is pretty good with 3 shot groups around 1/2 MOA at times and 5 shot groups 1 MOA +/- 1/4". I have chronographed the load several times and it runs 2650-2700 fps in my barrel.

Here is my problem. My SD can go from 15-25 and ES from 50 - 85 fps for 10 shots, and 5 shot groups can go from 5/8" to 1 1/4" at 100 yds. How do I improve my reloads?

Thank you for your responses.

Welcome to the club. I figure for an AR, I can get by with a little less consitent velocity, as I am not going to be shooting it way way out there.

You didnt mention primers, although I assume you use them. You might try a different primer and see what happens.

How did you arrive at your load you are using? If you did not use OCW load development, give that a try. I have found that a properly developed ocw load helps make up for any issues with ES and SD.

Sean

I have tried CCI 41 and CCI 450 primers so far. They both produce about the same ES. I would like to try some Rem 7 1/2s but can't find any locally. I did use the OCW test for load development and had good groups in the 0.6" range at 24.3 and 24.5 gr.

Right now I load everything to mag length +/-2.26" since I measure off the ogive. I've thought about trying to load a little shorter 2.25" and a little longer 2.275" to see if it helps. What are your thoughts? I know I will have to watch for pressure signs with the shorter load.

Last edited:
One thing that may help your ES is a light crimp after seating, sometimes it can really bring a round in. Myself, I've all but given up crimping because I'm not competing with my .223 ammo, and it is accurate enough.

One thing that may help your ES is a light crimp after seating, sometimes it can really bring a round in. Myself, I've all but given up crimping because I'm not competing with my .223 ammo, and it is accurate enough.

I've thought about picking up a Lee FCD, but I don't want to crimp if I don't have to.

I've thought about picking up a Lee FCD, but I don't want to crimp if I don't have to.

When I was shooting 223 at camp perry, I did not put that much effort into it and the gun / ammo could hold the X ring out to 600 yards. I did all of my loading on a dillon 650 for short range ammo (200, 300) and on a separate dillon 550 for 600 yard ammo.
Do you have a reference on the gun as to what it will do with other ammo, i.e. factory ammo. (polite way of saying are you sure the gun can do any better).

My local DICKS sporting goods store has Winchester Match loaded with 69 SMKs. I would get a couple of boxes of that and see if it does any better so you have a reference.