• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cronus for PRS?

Furtaker2506

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2020
I’m building a 308 to learn the long range game (hopefully switch to 6mm creedmoor after I’m proficient), maybe shoot some PRS matches - impact action, foundation stock, bartlein barrel - I’m thinking about going w the Cronus BTR gen 2 however this doesn’t seem to be super popular amongst shooters from all the pics and posts I’ve looked at…am I crazy for looking at this optic for this purpose?

Not at all, I think the 308 will hold you back way more than the scope you're using. Unless you're going for the tactical class, the 308 is less than ideal. Mediocre ballistics and relatively heavy recoil.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Not at all, I think the 308 will hold you back way more than the scope you're using. Unless you're going for the tactical class, the 308 is less than ideal. Mediocre ballistics and relatively heavy recoil.
For sure, I totally understand the down side to 308 - a few of the reasons I decided on 308 is that it’ll help me learn a lot with the “subpar” ballistics, factory match ammo is easy to find and it has a long barrel life - I’m not so much worried about competing right off the bat - if after a year I’m frustrated with the 308 I can put a 6 creed barrel on it

I’m building a 308 to learn the long range game (hopefully switch to 6mm creedmoor after I’m proficient), maybe shoot some PRS matches - impact action, foundation stock, bartlein barrel - I’m thinking about going w the Cronus BTR gen 2 however this doesn’t seem to be super popular amongst shooters from all the pics and posts I’ve looked at…am I crazy for looking at this optic for this purpose?
Once you get to the $1,500-2,000ish price range for optics I really don't think almost any of them will actually hold you back. Sure you can spend more and get a nicer more refined image. But most of the usual players in the price range will have no trouble making out targets at 1,000+ yards. I think the Cronus will be a great choice if you like the reticle.

For sure, I totally understand the down side to 308 - a few of the reasons I decided on 308 is that it’ll help me learn a lot with the “subpar” ballistics, factory match ammo is easy to find and it has a long barrel life - I’m not so much worried about competing right off the bat - if after a year I’m frustrated with the 308 I can put a 6 creed barrel on it
You arent going to to learn faster, you will learn slower, be at a huge disadvantage and wont be able to share dope/wind calls with your squad mates. You will save no money in ammo and have significantly more misses all things being equal. There will be alot more recoil which will make it even harder for you to manage recoil and spot trace/splash.

Going .308 for any reason other than trying to win the specialy olympics in Tac class is plain retarded.

The Cronus brings nothing to the table in that price bracket. You are much better off with a XTR3 or even a used MK5 with PR2. Once you get up to the $2K range you are into used ZP5 territory.

Reactions: camocorvette
You arent going to to learn faster, you will learn slower, be at a huge disadvantage and wont be able to share dope/wind calls with your squad mates. You will save no money in ammo and have significantly more misses all things being equal. There will be alot more recoil which will make it even harder for you to manage recoil and spot trace/splash.

Going .308 for any reason other than trying to win the specialy olympics in Tac class is plain retarded.

The Cronus brings nothing to the table in that price bracket. You are much better off with a XTR3 or even a used MK5 with PR2. Once you get up to the $2K range you are into used ZP5 territory.

^This..

There is no reason to learn on a .308. If you need factory ammo buy a 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

Get on everyone else's level and you'll learn much more quickly.

The Cronus BTR is a great scope for the money - especially at the used prices they sell for here. If you want new, then Doug at Cameraland will set you up for a great price.

if you like the optic then great.

but there are better options in that price range unless you get a used one for sub $1k

also...if you wait to switch to 6mm something and shoot PRS matches only after you're proficient with your 308 you'll never do either

go shoot. and switch now. save the 308 for a trainer barrel or shooting TAC class if that's your thing

if you like the optic then great.

but there are better options in that price range unless you get a used one for sub $1k

also...if you wait to switch to 6mm something and shoot PRS matches only after you're proficient with your 308 you'll never do either

go shoot. and switch now. save the 308 for a trainer barrel or shooting TAC class if that's your thing
Would a 6.5 creed be okay compared to the 6mm creed or will I still be far away from the pack - The reason I ask is I have a lot of 6.5 reloading components already.

Cronus will work fine as it has good features and a good reticle. As mentioned there are others also like the Burris, Bushnell etc but if you like the Cronus then go for it.

Also nothng wrong with shooting a .308 in matches. Shoot Tac class and have fun. You will be shooting against others in Tac. Don't worry about what the "pros" are doing or calibers being used if getting into the sport. Shoot the .308 you are building and then you can do an easy barrel change down the road if you wanted a different caliber. The .308 will do what you want in making you learn wind and positions and managing recoil better.

You definitely will be frustrated :)

It’s a great training round but super hard to compete with the 6mm crowd or even the 5.56 folks that’ll also be in the same tactical band.

I train with 308, compete with 6

Would a 6.5 creed be okay compared to the 6mm creed or will I still be far away from the pack - The reason I ask is I have a lot of 6.5 reloading components already.

You will be far away from the pack no matter what you use. You are new to the sport. Don't fall in the hole of thinking if you ran what the "pros" use you will be on the podium. You won't.

A 6.5 Creed will be better ballistically than the .308 and will be less recoil but not as light as the 6mm. In the new barricade benchrest match styles low recoil helps but you still need to hit the target.

6.5 creed is moving in the right direction. Personally, I'd go with a 223 if all things were equal for the TAC class. It will have similar ballistics to the 308 with the 80+ grain class of bullets, but a lot less recoil.

6.5 creed is moving in the right direction. Personally, I'd go with a 223 if all things were equal for the TAC class. It will have similar ballistics to the 308 with the 80+ grain class of bullets, but a lot less recoil.
Tac class is limited to 77gr bullets so you aren't shooting heavies. You can shoot solids, but then you are over $1/rd to shoot a very noncompetitive division.

i'd take a 6.5 over a 308 as a new shooter for factory ammo

if you reload i'd rather a 6BR or Dasher though even as a new shooter

Reactions: Halcyonhal
Lol Guess your going to chase the podium huh? Can tell you will have a 6BR in a 30 pound rifle in a month or two. Lol

If you were smart you would spin that .308 barrel up also so you have it to use for practice.

Lol Guess your going to chase the podium huh? Can tell you will have a 6BR in a 30 pound rifle in a month or two. Lol

If you were smart you would spin that .308 barrel up also so you have it to use for practice.
I will - def. no to chasing the podium

Ive been pretty pleased with my cornus gen 1 scopes. I dont think many here would say its a bad choice.
Everyone prefers different but sub1500 I think its in amongst all the other good candidates. I love the reticle.