• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crooked throats

7mm

American Patriot
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2023
NV
Looking down my 25 creed barrel with a borescope I can see that the throat was not cut straight. I have around 200 rounds down the tube and have put together some loads that shoot around .6-.7 moa

If the throat was not cut straight by the Smith and the bullet jumping into a crooked throat, I know this could be robbing me of potential accuracy.

Should I just be okay with this? Is there a remedy? I know it's ultimately up to me whether or not my standards are met with a 3/4 inch gun but wanted to get some feedback.
Photo_20240424200713.jpg
Photo_20240424200653.jpg

Does every groove look the same? If it’s ramped looking in one place and flat across in another that would be a problem. If it’s ramped in the same direction and looks the same in every groove then that could be a barrel problem

Does every groove look the same? If it’s ramped looking in one place and flat across in another that would be a problem. If it’s ramped in the same direction and looks the same in every groove then that could be a barrel problem
Sent you a pm, tell me what you think

Looking down my 25 creed barrel with a borescope I can see that the throat was not cut straight. I have around 200 rounds down the tube and have put together some loads that shoot around .6-.7 moa

If the throat was not cut straight by the Smith and the bullet jumping into a crooked throat, I know this could be robbing me of potential accuracy.

Should I just be okay with this? Is there a remedy? I know it's ultimately up to me whether or not my standards are met with a 3/4 inch gun but wanted to get some feedback.View attachment 8405906View attachment 8405907
Looks like my late model Rem 700 .308 barrel where about 35% of the lead is just not there. Looks like what you’re showing.

I asked here with a bunch of pics and the prevailing opinion from those who seemed to actually know something was that it was due to an undersized pilot.

I just couldn’t figure how only part of it was cut out. If the reamer was cocked or offset from bore then as it’s spun it should have taken the same amount all the way around.

Take anything I have to say with a grain of salt. I’m no gunsmith or machinist and, in fact, I’m even dangerous with common hand tools! lol

• Haha
Reactions: ShtrRdy