• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cross Country Drive Coming Up - Recommendations for stops/sites?

chrome

Private
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2005
    SoCal
    Gents,

PCS'ing in two months, from Virginia to San Diego. Lets get it out of the way, yes, California, I know. Into the belly of the beast. 3 year orders and we are the fuck out.

We have a total of 9 days to drive, and the only mandatory stop we MUST make is to my friends house in Phoenix to drop off my AR-15s/NFA items for long term storage.:mad: We are eyeballing the northern route as the weather should still be great in late SEPT, and go as far north as South Dakota, MT, ID, and then dog left south to come through Utah and hit Phoenix. I can handle long drives, so I can foresee myself driving seven to eight hours a day without issue.

Let the ideas roll.

Have you looked at CA gun laws and Ammo buying requirements?

if you are bringing anything with you, bring an 3 year supply of ammo with you.
    (Cal guns forum is excellent for CA laws and such)

What do you like to do and see?

yellowstone is pretty amazing
    The little towns of Colorado are fun to tourist through
    Colorado Springs, aspen
    Into caves? https://caveofthewinds.com/
    Jackson Hole is pretty and stuffed with tourists

National parks of Utah and AZ?
    zion and Bryce

As you are stationed in San Diego- it’s easy enough to hit the AZ/UT parks from your new home

Last edited:
    Reactions: chrome
    Have you looked at CA gun laws and Ammo buying requirements?

if you are bringing anything with you, bring an 3 year supply of ammo with you.

Yessir, swallowed that red pill a few months ago once the orders came in. Most of the stuff I am towing during the move is actually ammo and firearms.

What do you like to do and see?

yellowstone is pretty amazing
    The little towns of Colorado are fun to tourist through
    Colorado Springs, aspen
    Into caves? https://caveofthewinds.com/
    Jackson Hole is pretty and stuffed with tourists

National parks of Utah and AZ?
    zion and Brice

Love landscape views, love hikes, with minimal people as possible. The route we have now has us coming through Badlands in SD, Yellowstone in WY:
    Screenshot 2020-07-25 12.12.50.png

Take the 338 into California and there is no state checkpoint, gnomesayin’?

Reactions: black max
    Make sure to stop and see Chicago!!:cool: We'll be waiting
    Oh yeah, Rapid City, Mt Rushmore, Big Horns, two lane from there to Cody, WY., then either to MT or ID.!!!

Not much else to go on about. Pull a map and trace the NV- 338. Also look at Hoye Canyon for really nice sight seeing that straddles the Cal/NV border with dirt roads that can fit a large camper...once again, gnomesayin’?

Tracking, thx BFC.

Ummm. Lessee. Spearfish SD is cool. Devils Tower. If you can swing it the Flathead Valley and GNP are in their prime right now. If you’re on the Yellowstone path Paradise Valley, Gardiner etc.

Tracking, thx BFC.

No worries. Just wanted to provide some alternatives. There are checkpoints at the border to keep the nefarious imported fruits and veggies out. Lots of pretty country up in Northern California as well. It’s about 8 hours from the California border on the NV-338 to Pendleton. Stop at mammoth and Yosemite on the way. If unmarried, stop at the bunny ranch too!

Reactions: camocorvette
    Don’t shortcut through the Rez from Rapid to Billings, take I-90 through Gillette and Sheridan. Stop at Devil’s Tower and Little Bighorn on the way. Also, take Beartooth Pass into Yellowstone. Look it up, a must see and must drive unless you’re in a 26’ U-Haul.

Don’t shortcut through the Rez from Rapid to Billings, take I-90 through Gillette and Sheridan. Stop at Devil’s Tower and Little Bighorn on the way. Also, take Beartooth Pass into Yellowstone. Look it up, a must see and must drive unless you’re in a 26’ U-Haul.

Thx for that, i was wondering if I should avoid that Rez and duck under it. No big u-hauls this time, just an SUV with a small trailer attached to a class 3 hitch.

Reactions: Redmanss
    Thx for that, i was wondering if I should avoid that Rez and duck under it. No big u-hauls this time, just an SUV with a small trailer attached to a class 3 hitch.
    Unless they’re new, get new tires on that trailer before pulling it out this way. Our roads and 80mph speed limits are absolutely brutal on trailer tires. Watch late September weather in the mountains, we call that time of year winter above 8k ft. Shit, we hit -17F in the second week of October at 4K ft last fall.

Unless they’re new, get new tires on that trailer before pulling it out this way. Our roads and 80mph speed limits are absolutely brutal on trailer tires. Watch late September weather in the mountains, we call that time of year winter above 8k ft. Shit, we hit -17F in the second week of October at 4K ft last fall.

Fuuuuccck. Great intel on that, thank you.

Check out the Mil Bases, they may be good places to stop over. BX's, Commissaries, Visitor Quarters for a good sleep and shower. too. Fort Bliss, San Antonio TX. Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson, AZ.

Forget the Northern Route, the South is fine in Sept.

Maybe, just maybe, the lockdowns will be over. We just got extended another 30 days past July 27.

Slow boiling..., and I ain't no frog...

Find Atlanta, then head to Dallas/Ft Worth, take 20 until it becomes 10, onto 8 right below Phoenix, and on in to So. Cal. Detour before 8 stay on 10 to PHX is simple. 10 through the Can Of Worms in PHX is FUN!

Albuquerque

Wave when you pass Rt 191 South on 10 just West of Willcox AZ. We live in Pearce/Sunsites, old folks central.

We came through in January and May (2106) O/O FL all the way on 10 in January, home the above way and back in May. Hurricanes; don't be doing the hurricanes.

Greg

Last edited:
    your trip almost looks like the old rout 66 almost a few detours and you could swing by and see what is left of it .

and which ever way you go safe journey and don't let the snowflakes get you . lol

Reactions: Barneybdb
    I avoid driving anywhere near Chicago like the plague. Once the traffic in that place gets backed up you are officially screwed for hours.

Reactions: CWB4
    If you take the northern route, I'll second a visit to Zion NP and also suggest (strongly) that you take a detour to see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You simply cannot beat those two parks for majestic natural beauty in the American West.

Wind Cave in SD made an impression, especially if you consider the native creation myth.

Right near by is a Bear Safari Park, neat if kids are along.

Visit Mt Rushmore in the evening for their Patriotic flag ceremony unless BLM has blown it up before you arrive.

Really thought Custer Battlefield was poignant but felt "Fuck you bitch" to the Crow working the register as I bought a book when I remarked "It's a sad place" and she replied "To some people".

Dumb bitch doesn't realize Little Big Horn meant the end of her free culture which is as sad as the loss of the 7th Cavalry. A Pyrrhic victory if there ever was one.

Head north from Spearfish up 85 to I-94 and Theodore Roosevelt National Park. And of course, check out the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD (not really).

If going thru SD, definitely stop at the Badlands and have a stop/lunch at Wall Drug. Wall Drug is about the most Americana thing you can ever imagine.

Rushmore and Crazy Horse arent too far West from the Badlands.

Are you into Bourbon? You could stop off in Kentucky at any of the distilleries.

No roadblocks going in to California if you go through death valley. Gas up.

Craters of the moon in Idaho.

What Red said about trailer tires. Buy the largest size that will fit your wheel wells. And if you can, buy actual radial tires that are speed rated above 81mph. Get them balanced.
    Pack your wheel bearings and give that trailer a little workout before loading and hitting the highway.
    Freshly packed/greased bearings run hotter and they need a run in before a long haul.
    Bring an extra hub and pre packed bearings (and tools) in case of failure out in the middle of nowhere.
    Spare tire too.

I run actual car radials on my boat trailer and can run safely above 85mph while towing.
    Can't do that with cheap assed trailer tires.
    A tire or hub failure could mean an 8 hour time loss if it happens in the middle of nowhere.

What Red said about trailer tires. Buy the largest size that will fit your wheel wells. And if you can, buy actual radial tires that are speed rated above 81mph. Get them balanced.
    Pack your wheel bearings and give that trailer a little workout before loading and hitting the highway.
    Freshly packed/greased bearings run hotter and they need a run in before a long haul.
    Bring an extra hub and pre packed bearings (and tools) in case of failure out in the middle of nowhere.
    Spare tire too.

I run actual car radials on my boat trailer and can run safely above 85mph while towing.
    A tire or hub failure could mean an 8 hour time loss if it happens in the middle of nowhere.

Good gouge. We are planning on going with a basic 8x5 from uhaul. need to get smart on that.

Well, that changes things a bit.
    Make sure to use the storage type lock that can't be cut and also lock the trailer to the vehicle, etc while staying in hotels.

Spare tire too.

great insight

If it’s your trailer- store it on jack stands under the axel. All the weight on the tires in the same place in storage damages the tires over time.

303 spray - it’s at the car stores and amazon is a sunblock for car trim and tires. Same deal - cover tires exposed to the sun or at least coat in 303

some call it Boeing 303

it was an aerospace product.

regular tires beat trailer tires except for sidewall load rating. My car has a 94 TLI. Get a solid rating for the sidewall. Many trailer tires have stronger sidewalls for a heavy load.. rated above 110
    Tire Load Index

Last edited:
    Chicago traffic has been a little better this summer. Unless you really want to see it, I would turn west out of Indy and take I-39 north to Madison.

The I15 drive through Utah is boring. If you want to see the scenic parts of Utah you will miss them all if you travel the I15 corridor just an fyi

I would check each Natl park website or app and see if reservations are reqd before planning a trip around park visits. For example, Zion shuttle passes were sold out 2 weeks ago. North route you can see some of these: Lassen, Sequoia, Rushmore, Devils Tower, Jackson Hole, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Glacier Natl Park just to name a few spots.
    Southern Route you can see Smokey Mtn TN, skip Pigeon Forge unless you have kids. The Alamo, Big Bend, Missions and other sites in TX, and the old historic churches, monuments, parks in NM and AZ, a totally different experience. Getting a picture at 4 corners of hands and feet in 4 different states, and seeing monument valley are also bucket list items. 4 corners is on the res FYI.

Last edited:
    Check out the Mil Bases, they may be good places to stop over. BX's, Commissaries, Visitor Quarters for a good sleep and shower. too. Fort Bliss, San Antonio TX. Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson, AZ.

Forget the Northern Route, the South is fine in Sept.

Maybe, just maybe, the lockdowns will be over. We just got extended another 30 days past July 27.

Slow boiling..., and I ain't no frog...

Find Atlanta, then head to Dallas/Ft Worth, take 20 until it becomes 10, onto 8 right below Phoenix, and on in to So. Cal. Detour before 8 stay on 10 to PHX is simple. 10 through the Can Of Worms in PHX is FUN!

Albuquerque

Wave when you pass Rt 191 South on 10 just West of Willcox AZ. We live in Pearce/Sunsites, old folks central.

We came through in January and May (2106) O/O FL all the way on 10 in January, home the above way and back in May. Hurricanes; don't be doing the hurricanes.

Greg
    Are you really thinking about going through Chicago with a load of guns? Think again long and hard about that one.

I have to agree with Greg, take the southern route. Go through Albuquerque, west to Flagstaff then head south on 89A through Sedona. Then pick up I 17 to your friends in Phoenix. Then west to Quartizite and south on 96 to Yuma, then west to San Diego. One of the most amazing scenic routes anywhere. On the other hand you could leave all the guns with me here in Virginia...just sayin. 😎

Goes without saying, the map i posted above is early phase, but I have every intention of giving chicago (for its bullshit politics and its traffic) a wide berth.

We were originally going to go the southern route, but the timing heading out there may not be afforded to us when we come back to the east coast, so it is one of those carpe diem moments.

ETA: And this is probably the last move our pups will have with us (13.5 year old border collies), and we have this nostalgia of hitting the northern parks and getting some great memories and pics with them.

Last edited:
    The I15 drive through Utah is boring. If you want to see the scenic parts of Utah you will miss them all if you travel the I15 corridor just an fyi

Good intel, thx. Moab just made our list of places to visit which pulls us to the eastern side of Utah. But it forces us to go through the HOPI Reservation as we head to PHX. Any issues with that?

If you take the northern route, I'll second a visit to Zion NP and also suggest (strongly) that you take a detour to see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You simply cannot beat those two parks for majestic natural beauty in the American West.

Zion vs Moab? which one would you pick?

Zion over Moab any day... unless you want to do some serious off-roading. ;)

Zion over Moab any day... unless you want to do some serious off-roading. ;)

Just heard from a fellow friend who made this drive recently, looks like the HOPI reservation (Monument Valley and Mexican Hat) are a no-go as of now given the reservation is currently shut down.

Looks like we'll pull to the west in UT and try Zion (but heard as well the bus that takes you into the valley is shut down as well, at least for now).

Just heard from a fellow friend who made this drive recently, looks like the HOPI reservation (Monument Valley and Mexican Hat) are a no-go as of now given the reservation is currently shut down.

Looks like we'll pull to the west in UT and try Zion (but heard as well the bus that takes you into the valley is shut down as well, at least for now).

You can drive through capital reef area hit arches if it's open def some fun hikes at both of those.

Been to all 50 states. Yellowstone and/or Glacier are incredible. The San Jauns and hwy 550 in SW Colorado is pretty epic (Durango, CO to Ouray).

On that route from MI going up through Chicago and into WI you will get bent over for toll fees on some of those bridges, especially if you are pulling a trailer. I would suggest a different route. I think one of the bridges I went over dragging a dual axle trailer cost $23 to go maybe 200'. Oh and it's all cash only, so make sure you have enough for the bridge tolls. The traffic also sucks.

If you go through TX use the 20 to cut over to the 10. There are some long gaps between gas stations on the 10 between San Antonio and whatever smaller city you come across. I went 230 miles and almost ran out of fuel (23.9 gallons in a 24 gallon tank). Plenty of closed gas stations on that route. The 20 has lots of places to stop for gas and food.

On that route from MI going up through Chicago and into WI you will get bent over for toll fees on some of those bridges, especially if you are pulling a trailer. I would suggest a different route. I think one of the bridges I went over dragging a dual axle trailer cost $23 to go maybe 200'. Oh and it's all cash only, so make sure you have enough for the bridge tolls. The traffic also sucks.

If you go through TX use the 20 to cut over to the 10. There are some long gaps between gas stations on the 10 between San Antonio and whatever smaller city you come across. I went 230 miles and almost ran out of fuel (23.9 gallons in a 24 gallon tank). Plenty of closed gas stations on that route. The 20 has lots of places to stop for gas and food.

Good intel, thanks. I think if we go north, we'll pull west out of indiana and take I-74 to I-39 north and give Chicago a huge berth.

If you never been.

Take small state highways through the heart of the midwest and stay OFF the interstate. Much more relaxing and authentic small towns to take in.

Just IMO.

After a lot of research we are all but locked into the northern route. Booked hotel rooms for a 2 night stay over in Yellowstone. The route south of yellowstone is probably heading to Zion more than likely. Thanks for all the advice.

Reactions: Duc
    ^^^Have a blast, America is a beautiful place if you avoid the liberal shitholes. Even then California is stunning...the Pacific Coast Highway is worth the headache.