• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cross dominance

GoatLD259

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2020
United States
Good Morning

I hope you are all doing well. I brought this up some time ago, and wanted to ask about it again. I am a cross dominant shooter, my left eye is dominant but I shoot right handed, butt-stock to my right shoulder. Seeing through the scope is difficult unless I close my left eye. With that said, are there shooters in the PRS and NRL realms that are cross dominant but still shoot very well and even win matches?

Goat

I was born right hand/right eye dominant. I shot guns non-stop as my childhood hobby starting with BB guns and progressing to .22's and shotguns. I lost my vision in my right eye in an accident at the age of 14. I switched shortly after to shooting everything left handed to avoid having to use my right hand/left eye. It didn't take me long to get pretty good at it. I now have more left hand guns than right hand.

I started shooting PRS in 2018. Last season I finished 4th overall in Open. This year I'm ranked in the top 10 going into the finale.

You can overcome your cross dominance with practice. If you want to speed things up just gouge out your left eye.

• Haha
Reactions: 260284 and LuvDog
Mordamer

Thank you for your response. I am in my 30’s so learning to shoot left handed will be tough, as it just feels awkward. But being that, PRS and NRL, shooting from a position where the gun is resting on something, I can imagine, switching may be easier in this sport rather than holding the gun free hand, as you do in Trap shooting or shooting an AR.

Next question, are there any shooters in PRS and NRL who are competitive, who didn’t start until their 30s?

Goat

Cover the left side of your shooting glasses with electrical tape and go shoot. Do this for an hour or two a week and before long you will feel quite natural using your right eye. At some point you will start to naturally use your right eye to look through the scope and you won't have to close your left eye to make it happen. Practice is the only thing that can fix your problem, but the correct path forward is to train your right eye to work in coordination with your right hand.

Right handed left eye dominant here. I was interested in shooting left handed to see what it was all about with a right bolt. I shot .22 matches lefty and the centerfire right handed. Did not take very long to do well with the left hand stuff…. Not mordamer good but well enough.

One day I’ll buy a left handed action and commit.

But to the OP it is not something that should hold you back either way you decide to shoot.

Cover the left side of your shooting glasses with electrical tape and go shoot. Do this for an hour or two a week and before long you will feel quite natural using your right eye. At some point you will start to naturally use your right eye to look through the scope and you won't have to close your left eye to make it happen. Practice is the only thing that can fix your problem, but the correct path forward is to train your right eye to work in coordination with your right hand.
Yes, an occluder or patch. And you don’t need to cover the whole lens. Just a patch to block left eye vision when on the gun and behind the scope. You will prob be able to see around the patch when not on the gun and ease eye strain.

just a thought and no, I don’t compete so take what I say w a grain of salt. But I have decades of experience w a patch when I shot competitive skeet.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Familydude
Good Morning

I hope you are all doing well. I brought this up some time ago, and wanted to ask about it again. I am a cross dominant shooter, my left eye is dominant but I shoot right handed, butt-stock to my right shoulder. Seeing through the scope is difficult unless I close my left eye. With that said, are there shooters in the PRS and NRL realms that are cross dominant but still shoot very well and even win matches?

Goat

I am cross eye dominant the same as you and it doesn't hold you back at all. I have won matches and lots of top 5s and 10s. Not doing as well lately but that is due to lack of practice and not eye dominance. If you need to shut your eye then shut it. I do. No issues. Don't put anything on your glasses or wear a patch. You might need to see if moving between props. Just shut the eye when you get down to shoot. Also it makes shooting weak hand easier being left eye dominant.

Mordamer

Thank you for your response. I am in my 30’s so learning to shoot left handed will be tough, as it just feels awkward. But being that, PRS and NRL, shooting from a position where the gun is resting on something, I can imagine, switching may be easier in this sport rather than holding the gun free hand, as you do in Trap shooting or shooting an AR.

Next question, are there any shooters in PRS and NRL who are competitive, who didn’t start until their 30s?

Goat
I saw you posted looking for training classes.

If you have any desire to shoot left handed in the future, you may want to consider taking the class and shooting a left hand action. Yes it feels awkward, but you have no bad habits.

There is no reason to change shooting hand now. Just shoot right handed as you are and what is comfortable. There is enough of a learning curve learning to shoot matches without throwing in an unneeded step of changing shooting hand. Ask yourself this question, which would be easier learning to shoot a whole different way and change gear and rifle over to that way or shut your left eye? Pretty much answers itself.

No need to patch or shoot left handed. Just do what Rob said and close the left eye at the last moment when you’re ready to shoot.

Im cross dominant and it hasn’t held me back in any way at all.

You’ll find that in a little bit of time, you can just partially close your left eye (just enough that the image in your right eye is better). That way you’ll still have the extra situational awareness from the left eye.

I did the tape thing. It worked for me, but I’m a novice and shoot only for fun, no comps. These days, I can hardly see out of either eye. Age and what not🙄

Your eye dominance can change also. As I age, my right eye is the weak (poor vision) one and I went from RH/RE to RH/LE. Your brain adjusts.

Reactions: Familydude
Take your scope cap and turn so it opens to 9 O Clock. You will still be able to look over your scope turrets to aid in getting on target. But, it will also force your right eye to "take over", having your left view blocked. My wife has to shoot this way and she places competitively on the local level of PRS style marches.

That will work for PRS competitions, but will be cheating at life. What happens when you grab a friend’s gun to shoot a deer or defend yourself? “Oh look at me, I place competitively in competitions but can’t actually operate a firearm for any useful purpose”.

Pick a solution that works every time, all the time, and isn’t gear dependent. A couple have been offered.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
That will work for PRS competitions, but will be cheating at life. What happens when you grab a friend’s gun to shoot a deer or defend yourself? “Oh look at me, I place competitively in competitions but can’t actually operate a firearm for any useful purpose”.

Pick a solution that works every time, all the time, and isn’t gear dependent. A couple have been offered.

I shoot everything with one eye closed. Used a rifle in defense of myself (and this nation) several times and killed the proverbial "ton" of wild game. I do just fine. No gear dependency.

I was merely offering a solution to the actual OP. After all, this was posted in " Competition Shooting Talk" forum, not the "I need to shoot a deer with my wife's gun or defend myself" forum. :rolleyes:

A&8’s, nobody is questioning or doubting your personal abilities, contributions, experiences, etc. not in the slightest.

If multiple solutions will solve the OP’s dilemma, and some of them make the person gear dependent, while others make the person a capable shooter, it’s quite reasonable to say that the latter is a much better solution. It’s also reasonable to point out WHY it’s a better solution.

That’s what I did.

Like you, I have life experience that would let me evaluate and use solutions that wouldn’t be ideal for everyone. I totally get that. But someone asking how to overcome cross dominance isn’t likely in that same position.

Regarding competition shooting with no desire for real life capabilities which is the gist of the comment about this post being in the “Competition shooting talk forum”:

If a person dedicated himself to winning firefighter competitions but didn’t actually apply to be a firefighter (even volunteer), we’d call him a poser, loser, weirdo, etc. the whole point of the firefighter skills are for… …fighting fires.

The same would be true of a guy who constantly went to firearms training schools and became a real bad dude with multiple weapon types… but refused to own a gun. The whole point of those skills is to be ready and able to use those them. What a sad strange little man that would be.

Competition shooting is the same. If it doesn’t bother a person to game the game in ways that aren’t applicable in the real world, all the above adjectives apply.

Last edited:

What happens? You close you eye and shoot. Works on any gun. Not just yours. Lol

Reactions: A&8's
No it doesn’t. Not for someone who needs his scope cap folded out to block his view.

Closing an eye works for people who… …close an eye.

Someone who needs a cap blocking the left eye isn’t comfortable closing one eye. If they can’t do it in competition they certainly can’t do it when it matters.

That’s exactly why I recommend closing an eye for this competition shooter… so that it will be natural, practiced, etc in the real world. A surprising number of people have real difficulties closing one eye to shoot (thus, the other tricks offered by others). For many people, they actually have to work at it in the beginning, which is what I recommend.

Otherwise they will use a scope cap to block their view and never learn to shoot well without that cap. And then NO, They will not be able to simply close one eye when using another gun.

Last edited:
A surprising number of people have real difficulties closing one eye to shoot (thus, the other tricks offered by others).

This is the exact reason my wife shoots with her cap at 9 O clock. She can't close her left eye.

Myself, I "can" shoot with both eyes open. However, I have to "think" more about it. Even then, occasionaly my left eye takes over and I need to blink it to tell my brain, "HEY, stop that! You're not supposed to be lfocusing on the front sight." lol As a result, when I'm on the clock or when bad things are happening to good people, I revert back to 1 eyed shooting. From shooting 1 eyed for the past 45 years, it is natural for me to start closing my left as I'm getting on target or getting behind glass.

This is the exact reason my wife shoots with her cap at 9 O clock. She can't close her left eye.

Myself, I "can" shoot with both eyes open. However, I have to "think" more about it. Even then, occasionaly my left eye takes over and I need to blink it to tell my brain, "HEY, stop that! You're not supposed to be lfocusing on the front sight." lol As a result, when I'm on the clock or when bad things are happening to good people, I revert back to 1 eyed shooting. From shooting 1 eyed for the past 45 years, it is natural for me to start closing my left as I'm getting on target.
That’s my issue. The focus on the reticle drifts slightly in and out with the right eye. It is very doable, but I am much less fatigued using the left eye.

E544E794-9320-4C86-9035-92A053A7D5CA.jpeg

Totally understand. But that’s exactly why, if at all possible, the OP should try to learn to close one eye. If your wife “can’t” close one eye for competition, she would have real trouble doing it under real stress when it matters. It’s also why Rob is incorrect in saying people who use a cap will simply switch to closing one eye when they use an unfamiliar gun.

No it doesn’t. Not for someone who needs his scope cap folded out to block his view.

Closing an eye works for people who… …close an eye.

Someone who needs a cap blocking the left eye isn’t comfortable closing one eye. If they can’t do it in competition they certainly can’t do it when it matters.

That’s exactly why I recommend closing an eye for this competition shooter… so that it will be natural, practiced, etc in the real world. A surprising number of people have real difficulties closing one eye to shoot (thus, the other tricks offered by others). For many people, they actually have to work at it in the beginning, which is what I recommend.

Otherwise they will use a scope cap to block their view and never learn to shoot well without that cap. And then NO, They will not be able to simply close one eye when using another gun.

Did I say mess with the cap? Nope. Just close an eye. Simple.

View attachment 7725410
Totally understand. But that’s exactly why, if at all possible, the OP should try to learn to close one eye. If your wife “can’t” close one eye for competition, she would have real trouble doing it under real stress when it matters. It’s also why Rob is incorrect in saying people who use a cap will simply switch to closing one eye when they use an unfamiliar gun.

Again did I say what you said I said? Nope. I said close an eye. Nothing about caps. Go back and read before calling someone incorrect.

No, Rob, YOU go read what I was responding to (Advice to use a scope cap) before laughing at someone’s obviously correct response.

11C16F44-3DCE-4912-A142-B2D9D3E3B4D5.png

Again where did I say use caps? I didn’t.

Reactions: A&8's
Rob, nobody is claiming that you said anything about caps.

im not going to re-type this whole thread for you.

Go back and read post #17 forward.

You will see that it’s you, not me, missing something here.

Happens to all of us.

I saw the cap remark. Wasn’t speaking of it. But seeing as this is the PRS forum and not the use your buddy’s rifle to emergency hunt or protect your home it’s a decent response. Not what I would do as closing the eye is a better option for all the uses mentioned above. If someone can’t then they are screwed no matter what with any of the examples. Plain and simple.

Rob, you didn’t re-read from post 17 did you?

36FEEEF8-02D5-44CD-BA96-59B1976B04B4.jpeg

The discussion you responded to was very straightforward. He was recommending caps. As you can see (in the screenshot), I asked him what happens when someone who is reliant on caps tries to shoot another rifle).

You laughed and said they would simply close one eye.

NO. They would not. Not someone reliant on caps.

You stepped into a discussion on caps and called someone out for being correct.

Then you were given several opportunities to see that you stepped on yourself. I can’t make it any clearer for you.

0DC0DAE0-7CCF-46CB-965A-40A421BB231C.png

Again, if you still don’t understand, read post 17 forward and it will be more clear.

You were the one that brought in the other situations other than PRS which is what this is about and what I laughed at. Not about storming Kabul or home defense. I don’t think caps are a good idea and closing the eye is the best.

now you can keep screen shot bombing if you like but I know what was said.

False. You specifically responded to my concern that someone reliant on caps would be unable to shoot without them.

Your response was that they would simply close an eye… which is obviously incorrect for a person reliant on caps.

You responded to a discussion about caps.

Your response was incorrect (on its face).

You tried to later say it wasn’t about caps.

Then you realized it was about caps after all.

Now you’re trying to deflect by changing your position and mentioning foreign conflicts 🤦‍♂️

I’ve done it too. It’s much cleaner and better to just admit the mistake or delete the problematic post.

• Haha
1634844323280.jpeg

Now I neither pretend to be a PRS competitor or even a very experience precision rifle shooter....not compared to many on here.

Not exactly related, but I did shoot competitive American skeet for a few decades and used an occluder (small patch, right) on my off eye due to dominance issues. I found a patch...a small patch... put in the right location blocked my vision of the barrel but when out of the gun and not on station I could see around it just fine and that really helped with eye strain.

With scopes, I have been closing my left eye because sometimes I can see clearly thru my right eye and sometimes I just see the left side of the scope (which sucks).

I am considering putting a patch on the glasses (yes, I wear very good quality shooting glasses...Randolph Rangers) I use for rifle and see if that will relieve some of the eye strain I experience with one eye closed for any length of time.

Still working on it....hey, I'm an old retired guy...have to have some minutia to occupy my days! haha

@Evolution 9 , also consider the fact that some people may ONLY shoot competitively. I know of 1 MD and another shooter (off the top of my head), who only competes. They don't carry. They don't have one for home protection. They ONLY shoot to compete.

Again, as I stated above, since this is, in fact, posted in the "Competition Shooting Talk" forum, I was just making a suggestion. It appears you got butt hurt and decided to go on a head hunt for proving your point. Let it be. Already 35 replies in and 2/3's of those are you pissing and arguing.

Thanks for the discussion, A&8’s, Not remotely butt hurt. Too much life experience for that.

I simply explained my recommendation and why I was recommending it. When somebody entered the discussion you and I were having regarding the scope cap option (an appropriate option for a select few people), he didn’t realize he was entering a discussion about caps and as a result, he stepped on himself and then wouldn’t admit it.

There’s lots of room for ideas and opinions and I benefit from quite a few that aren’t originally my cup of tea. I never insist on agreement, but I do insist on accuracy and honesty, especially when the truth about what was and wasn’t said is literally written in black and white as is often the case in online forums.

Ive trained a lot of cross dominant shooters and there’s quite a spectrum of their choices on how to handle it. I advise them on a couple different variants of closing or squinting an eye because of its universal application but in the end they choose and that’s fine.

Not “somebody” and didn’t step on anything so keep writing what you think and I will stick with what I know I wrote.

Rob, what I “think” and what you “know” have nothing to do with it. The truth doesn’t care about your opinion or mine.

Anybody who reads post 17-21 can see what is actually there.