• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cross Slot Question

DirtyRod

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2009
Arizona
What does "Cross Slot" actually mean? All rails I see have slots going across the rail so is that a generic term or is there a specific "cross slot" rail?

Asking because I'm Currently looking to upgrade the rings for my HK91 which has a B-Square Mount. The Burris XTRs I've tried a recoil bar that pushes the ring up so it's up off the rail slightly and the Warne rings look like they have the same size recoil bar. Are these designed for a "cross slot" rail that is deeper than the integrated Weaver rail on the B-Square mount. My Mark 4 rings fit fine but don't have the same recoil bar.

I did search the forum and the net and can't seem to find an answer. I see rings like the PRWs that mention that they will mount in a cross slot base but they also say they will mount in Picatinny rails. Confused and don't want to buy rings that won't fit.

Thanx in advance.

Re: Cross Slot Question

There is much confusion in our industry in regards to Weaver vs. Picatinny. There are set tolerance for each but most companies do not abide by them for the most part. Cross-slot started being used for two reasons.

1. Competing mfgs did not want to print Weaver on their packing, catalog, websites, ect. Sort of like Glock just putting 357 on their slides instead of 357 SIG.

2. Foreign mfgs did not know what Weaver or Picatinny specs were and did not want to limit sales to just one category. Weaver fits Picatinny for instance but if you call something Weaver people are reluctant to put it on a Picatinny.

OK. So it's a generic term. So can I assume that "Cross Slot" equals Weaver? The Warne rings state that they will fit Weaver or Picatinny so I assume they are manufactured to the smaller Weaver spec. Should I assume they will fit the B-square mount which is supposed to be Weaver or should I just call them and ask?

Since B-Square sold and is being made off shore service has not been that good. I would bet that cross-slot equals Weaver and that the Warne rings will fit.