• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

crossbows/archery

myronman3

deez nuts
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2017
Ft. Benning School for Wayward Boys
due to the shortage of shooting components, i decided to itch the shooting scratch via other means. i’ve been into archery my entire life, but my body is showing the wear and tear of the life i’ve lived. so this year i went down the crossbow path.

i picked up an excalibur bow this last fall and i have to tell you it is a hoot. took 2 deer with it, and have been shooting it instead of guns lately. it’s a whole ‘nother rabbit hole of shooting i never went down and now that i have, i’ve enjoyed it a lot. save your powder for a rainy day.

would love to get into this but where to begin? crossbows look pretty cool but then, like firearms, need replacement parts etc etc

would love to get into this but where to begin? crossbows look pretty cool but then, like firearms, need replacement parts etc etc

In my opinion I recommend recurves with replaceable fiberglass or laminated glass/wood limbs. Bows and crossbows. Recurves are literally built for long term use without any component that requires special equipment or facilities to maintain, unlike compounds. Get a couple of sets of spare limbs, strings, and string wax and you are all set to hunt and trek anywhere.

There is a company called Hickory Creek Archery which makes the Vertical Crossbow, a compact hybrid bow and crossbow which is mounted vertically on a Draw-Lock aluminum frame, enabling it to be held like a bow, but fired like a rifle. Both compound and recurve options are available, and the compound model might even be able to be serviced and cables replaced without a press required. The recurve model have spare limbs available and you just need to give the owner a call so he can set aside a few from production for you. Arrow speeds up to 400 feet/sec. Around 300 FPS with the recurve model. Scope and laser mounts built into the Draw Lock chassis. Extremely flat shooting and compact enough to be stored, transported, and used almost anywhere.

260 yard targets with the Hickory Creek Vertical Crossbow:

More reviews:

Black bear taken with one:

How to reset a derailed cable or replace a cable set on the bow. NOTE: This instructional video applies to ONLY the Hickory Creek bow, not other compound bows or crossbows:

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
I love archery but do to neck/shoulder issues I haven’t shot in a few years, I used to shoot daily pretty much. I shoot instinctive/fingers and with sighted/mechanical release.

Not into crossbows myself, that’s the 6.5 of the archery world lol.

Pick up a decent wrist rocket it’s good practice for archery too, you can practice moving targets and not loose arrows. I’d like a recurve and some flu flu arrows to shoot flying targets.

Reactions: myronman3
i felt the same way. i went with excalibur, because you dont need an archery pro shop to change/replace/fix stuff. the other thing is, too many get fixated on the speed. the one i bought is rated for 340 feet per second with a 350 gr bolt. a 450 grain bolt (which absorbs more power therefore taking more of the shock off the limbs and string) gets you about 305 fps.

i killed two deer this year with mine…and the arrow was to the deer before it could react. it blew through and i am sure if a deer had been on the back side (the first one there was….so i had to wait to take the shot until the one in back cleared out) the bolt would have killed that one as well.

^ long way of saying that the “slow” excalibur is anything but. i wouldnt go any higher than 380 fps, but that is just me.

@RUTGERS95 ….. the excal is about as easy as it gets. they have some nice options out there these days, and excal is the sturm and ruger of the crossbow world. they make solid stuff and stand behind it. they released a new model this year….their lowest priced xbow that will more than do the trick without costing your left nut.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Archery is worse than fishing when it comes to ‘tackle.’

I love archery but do to neck/shoulder issues I haven’t shot in a few years, I used to shoot daily pretty much. I shoot instinctive/fingers and with sighted/mechanical release.

Not into crossbows myself, that’s the 6.5 of the archery world lol.

Pick up a decent wrist rocket it’s good practice for archery too, you can practice moving targets and not loose arrows. I’d like a recurve and some flu flu arrows to shoot flying targets.
i hear you. it took me a long time to warm up to it, and injuries is what finally made me cave in. in my case, shoulders habitually give me issues.

there is a stigma around here attached to them as well. but they are legal, and from where i stand, i’d rather have hunters placing their shots accurately on animals. so many deer are wounded and killed and not recovered due to poor arrow placement….that’s just a fact. i hunt with seasoned guys, and it still happens now and then. if a crossbow helps cut that number down, i am cool with it. i think the stigma has a lot more to do with people’s greed about someone else getting “their” buck/deer than anything else.

the slingshot thing is true as well as blowguns. i like using my bullwhip for practice too. none of which are more difficult due to component shortages.

Reactions: akmike47
I switched to xbows after I found my skills with a regular compound were failing because I wasn't putting in the practice time.

My xbow is a carbon Express and shooting about 360fps with a hunting setup. Very wicked on this buck.
Screenshot_20220113-225506_Gallery.jpg

i felt the same way. i went with excalibur, because you dont need an archery pro shop to change/replace/fix stuff. the other thing is, too many get fixated on the speed. the one i bought is rated for 340 feet per second with a 350 gr bolt. a 450 grain bolt (which absorbs more power therefore taking more of the shock off the limbs and string) gets you about 305 fps.

i killed two deer this year with mine…and the arrow was to the deer before it could react. it blew through and i am sure if a deer had been on the back side (the first one there was….so i had to wait to take the shot until the one in back cleared out) the bolt would have killed that one as well.

^ long way of saying that the “slow” excalibur is anything but. i wouldnt go any higher than 380 fps, but that is just me.

@RUTGERS95 ….. the excal is about as easy as it gets. they have some nice options out there these days, and excal is the sturm and ruger of the crossbow world. they make solid stuff and stand behind it. they released a new model this year….their lowest priced xbow that will more than do the trick without costing your left nut.
Practice long range. Say 150 yds. It’s fun

Has anyone used/bought a crossbow with a crank, rather than the typical pulling/cocking such as the Tenpoint systems? My wife has some shoulder and neck/back issues and I want her to be able to use it as well. Was it worth the upgrade? Is there a brand/model with a crank that you recommend?

Has anyone used/bought a crossbow with a crank, rather than the typical pulling/cocking such as the Tenpoint systems? My wife has some shoulder and neck/back issues and I want her to be able to use it as well. Was it worth the upgrade? Is there a brand/model with a crank that you recommend?
I have a 10 point with a crank.

I never used one without a crank so I can’t comment on the difference.

Last edited:
I bought a ten point titan when they first became legal in MI. Something the GF at the time (now wife could use). Long story short I prefer my compound Hoyt just for the thrill/challenge and the ten point gets loaned out to family

The crank system on it is absolutely friendly for someone who can’t pull a traditional bow or assisted crossbow.

Hit release lever, hook up attachment on crank to crossbow string, flip lever, reel like your reeling in a fishing line, reel till it clicks, put slight force on crank, flip lever, release tension, remove attachment from string, at which point the attachment reels itself to the crank assembly

The family who use it now can’t pull a traditional bow due to health issues. It’s was a great purchase even tho I’ve only shot 1 deer with it.

Your wife will easily be able to cock the bow. This is 10 year old technology I have. I’m sure it’s even better now

a lot of crossbow manufacturers make models with cranks built in. i know ravin, ten point, and excalibur do. i think all excalibur models made today either have an integral crank (the assassin models) or a quick attach/detach crank that snaps onto the stock.

there are a LOT of options that fit into what you describe. and as a guy who knew nothing of crossbows 3 months ago, i can tell you that it really isnt as complicated as it might initially seem. and it has allowed me to bow hunt this year without compounding my shoulder injury.

watch a few youtube videos. decide if you would rather a pro shop is going to do the string changing and maintenance, or if you are going to do it. i dont like being dependent on anyone for that stuff, judging by the pile of crossbows on the repair counter the day i bought mine, it IS something to consider. i went with the simplest setup i could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I've never had crossbows, just tons of different compounds. With the compound your best to find a good archery shop. Draw length needs to be correct, peep height, arrow selection, shooting form..... We have a few really good archery shops in our area that are really helpful.

We live in an area where we can shoot at home, but we only shoot 22's suppressed, only the test fire of bigger stuff. We shoot our bows a ton, have a little 10 Target 3D course setup which makes it fun when you can just go outside and send some arrows. Don't have to drag all your crap to the range.

Would love to get into this but where to begin? crossbows look pretty cool but then, like firearms, need replacement parts etc etc

I ditched my Bowtech compound bow after shoulder surgery and got a Mission Sub-1 XR. Got the hand crank attachment too. I was able to crank it, cock it, rest it on a tripod, shoot it, and reset it to shoot again while inside a ground blind and my left arm in a sling.

Not cheap.

One other thing to mention for those looking at getting in to xbows or compounds in general, the cost isn't JUST the bow. Figure sights/scope, arrows, broadheads, and targets. (make sure broadheads are xbow rated)

Each time I send an arrow downrange for hunting is about $40-50. (bolts about $20, broadhead $15, and lighted nock $10). And these are mid-range priced options.

I started in archery in the 1960's as a kid. I got an old solid fibreglass kid's bow and some target kids' arrows. My brother had an indian arrowhead in his rock collection so I tied that on and went around in the woods shooting soft rotten stumps. That shaped perspective a lot, now that I think about it...

Fast forward to the 90's. I wanted to get back into shooting, so I got an old compound at the flea market (Bear Whitetail 2). (imo, a very good resource for old archery stuff, also see pawn shops & gun stores. They almost always have used compounds & crossbows). I shot it quite a bit and hunted with it several seasons. Neighbor told me, "If you ever see a deer with a bale of hay tied to it... you're golden!" I still have that bow & arrows.

Then I got a crossbow. Barnett recurve 150lb pull with a crossbow scope. I shot the crap out of that thing, and found it was very consistent and accurate out to 75 yards. Aluminum bolts are great, but don't hold up to ricochets (they bend) or solid objects very well. I still have that, and the aluminum bolts. I also came across 60 carbon bolts for a few bucks each so at least I will have something to shoot when the lights go out & The Great Disappointment comes on...

Then I got into a local traditional bow club and bought a flea market recurve bow, a Browning Nomad 2 (47lb). With more aluminum arrows, that bow was my go-to bow for everything, even shooting carp, which is great fun. With a recurve bow and some good arrows tuned to the bow, you will shoot for YEARS without replacing anything, even the string.

Next, the guys in the traditional archery club got me hooked on building wooden selfbows. This was 1998 and MoJam started that year. Missouri Selfbow Jamboree (Marshall, Missouri 3rd weekend of July) is a long weekend of nothing but building & shooting home-made bows of all sorts, flintknapping, family fun.

I have made probably 50+ selfbows from all sorts of wood, mostly Osage Orange. It becomes very addicting. You know you're hooked when you drive along looking at the trees as potential bow wood. Anyway...

Next came home-made arrows. Hardware store dowels, Port Orford Cedar, scouring the woods for Red Osier, Dogwood, River Cane (the best) Wild Rose, and whatever other stick looked like it would make an arrow. I still have bundles of shafts seasoning in the shed, and hundreds of bamboo (Pseudosasa Japonica), and river cane (Pseudosasa Tecta). Bamboo makes a very excellent arrow shaft.

Well, then... Wild turkey feathers for fletching, pine pitch glue or hide glue for binding, and backstrap sinew from deer for wrapping. I also use a lot of 125 grain glue-on field/target points. It never ends!

Next... Old woodmiser bandsaw blades chopped up for home-made broadheads. But then...

Flintknapping. Missouri has a lot of great rock and a LOT of great flintknappers. The whole primitive skills thing got my attention from 1998-now. Well, then... had to learn how to braintan deer skins. How to make serviceable pottery from local clay ("Mudburner" comes from pottery). And on & on. Edible weeds. Making cordage/string/rope from weeds. Musical instruments. Fermenting & alcohol. It never stops!

Archery was a door. When I opened that door & walked through it... Behind was a hallway full of more doors.

Ever tried splitting a bighorn sheep's horns & making a laminated sinew/horn/wood bow? I have. How about splitting gemsbok horns for a horn bow? Yup. Fail. Korean style sinew-backed bow? Fail.

Nowadays, I have a big pile of Osage Orange staves (former corner posts) waiting my drawknife. Retirement for me is making stuff.

I taught Boy Scouts 2 years. Covid killed that.

Thing about bows is: my compound & crossbow are pretty loud. They THUNK! when shot. Not really loud, but I've seen a deer "jump the string" and get completely out of the way of the arrow because of the sound.
My recurves & stickbows, especially a wooden bow shooting a wooden/bamboo arrow are VERY QUIET!

A recurve/stickbow with a full (stand-up/walkaround) ghillie suit is a deadly combination. I've had people walk right by, within 5 feet of me and never knew I was there. Squirrels, birds sit on my boots. You can never defeat a deer's nose, but a ghillie suit while bowhunting/ground stalking is great fun. Obviously, I could go blathering on & on all day like this... Archery is a doorway drug.

Back in the early eighties,I had the honor and privilege of meeting and doing business with Mr " Lucky King " .He had a small archery shop on Hwy 80 ,between Jackson and Clinton Ms. "Who is Lucky King " ? ,one may ask . .....He was the bad ass that did all the shooting apples off of people's heads and other unbelievable shots in a lot of the movies :,think early "Robin Hood " and others.

I was in his shop one day,getting some arrows and just generally bull shitting . Lucky had all kinds of news paper articles and pictures that backed up his claims in a case at his store ,but I'd never seen him shoot.Well, in walks a cat and goes on and on about how he shoots instinct. Lucky said ,show me. Cat proceeds to do his thing ,which entailed ,basically shooting a bow with no sights. He did well hitting the targert,I'll give him credit. But Lucky wasn't having any of his instinct shooting claims. "Susie string up my bow, I'm going to show this young man what instinct shooting is " . Susie does wants she's told and puts a barrel of arrows by the "firing line". Lucky walks up ,grab an arrow ,nocks it, shoots long bow in a blink of an eye and drills center ,five times in about 30 / 45 seconds in a group the size of a silver dollar ( 20/25 yards). I was shitting my pants and all bugeyed in disbelief of what I'd just witnessed.

I'd never heard Lucky boast ,he wasn't that type, and according to Susie, what I'd just seen was rare to see ,because Lucky hardly ever did stuff like that in his shop...........he wasn't a " show off" . I guess he just wanted to illustrate what instinct shooting was to the man.

If one Google's Lucky King ,I have idea what will be found....I never have. All I know is that Lucky backed up the articles claims about him and I was fortunate enough to be in the right place , at the right time that day to witness it.

Thanks OP , for starting this thread..........it has brought back quite a few fond memories.

Reactions: Slash0311
my bowfishing days went back to the 80’s. it was incredible back then…..you would get exhausted before you would run out of hunting opportunities.

i’ve done the entire tradition, modern, back to traditional, back to modern, and as of october the crossbow thing. it’s been a hoot. i have a pile of stuff i can’t use anymore (shoulders wont even let me think of pulling back my 62# longbow). one of these days soon, i am going to go through my stuff and start thinning it out. if i havent used it in the last 5 years, i’m going to send it on along down the road.