• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Crossfire Conversation Ep7 Field Position Variations

Zeroed my CMP rifle with bipod, then verified DOPE to 600yd. then shot same place, same elevation but no bipod (leather sling thing) and the most stable unsupported prone I could manage and got a repeatable ~2MOA (10-12") POI low of bipod POI - same POA's. So I make a correction factor based on firing position - because if I use the sling DOPE as a standard in a ballistic solver it makes everything wonky. So positional correction factor instead of separate DOPE chart.

Once fundamentally sound; knowing IS the battle!

Service Rifle people used to have different dope for different positions to include offsets of windage

It's not uncommon to have changes in POI when moving from position to position, our head on the stock changes in many of these cases

But also the recoil pattern of the rifle.

That is what Chris observed, the rifle is recoiling in a different way causing point of impact shift

For practical/prs rifle stuff, I do everything I can to have as close to the same POI across positions.

I actually zero my rifle using aggregate groups shot from standing/kneeling/seated/prone using the bag/s and positions I normally would in a match.

It’s similar to his Kraft drill. Been doing it quite a while. Build and break single positions.

10 or 12 shots per cycle. Three cycles.

An example would be:

-10-12 build and break single shots across all positions alternating

-Adjust the horizontal or vertical (only one of them)

-Adjust the horizontal or vertical (whichever you didn’t adjust last time

Done. You should have a zero that is an aggregate of all your common positions.

The targets will look something like this:

Attachments

• D8B592D7-3E30-463F-9C0B-83FD159D3495.jpeg
    D8B592D7-3E30-463F-9C0B-83FD159D3495.jpeg
    868.9 KB · Views: 36
  • CC4096F2-1880-4B29-A712-F906B8F941D0.jpeg
    CC4096F2-1880-4B29-A712-F906B8F941D0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • ABBD9FC1-0054-435F-8BC0-9C690494C9AA.jpeg
    ABBD9FC1-0054-435F-8BC0-9C690494C9AA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
New Crossfire Conversation

We look at how people build positions that may cause a shift in their impacts due to movement in the bags or pillows being used.

Thank you Frank and Chris. While age and health issues dictate I'll never compete in anything like what you guys were talking about, there was still great stuff to think about in there for me and application to the shooting I can do.

And I continue to really like the bite sized, single topic, vids with you and Chris who, IMO, make a very coherent and articulate presentation pair. All good and I'm glad you are still doing the Crossfire series.

Cheers