• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Welcome to Crossfire with Chris and Frank

Part of this will lead into the Livestream stuff I am working on, but here are some produced videos to help answers some of the more common questions we get.

In this first episode Chris and I talk tripods and how we look at the tripods. We are about the tools, and here we want to give those tools to use for yourself.

Let us know what you think we have a second one in the can ready to go and our hope is, to produce more of these answering some of the big questions of the week.

Thanks

Welcome to Crossfire with Chris and Frank

Part of this will lead into the Livestream stuff I am working on, but here are some produced videos to help answers some of the more common questions we get.

In this first episode Chris and I talk tripods and how we look at the tripods. We are about the tools, and here we want to give those tools to use for yourself.

Let us know what you think we have a second one in the can ready to go and our hope is, to produce more of these answering some of the big questions of the week.

Thanks

@lowlight - Hi Frank, I liked this vid and this format very much.

Bit over 9 minutes and that really works for me. I rarely have time to listen to an hour or more podcast or vid but this length is excellent and I like the hard focus on one single subject. Quick and to the point is good.

I would also like to compliment Chris Way as he was very clear and articulate. He is a pleasure to listen to and watch.

Question: can you speak more about the leg diameter numbers you were talking about, please?

On RSS SOAR, they have different series for a particular model tripod which indicates leg diameter but I can't find what actual measurement leg diameter those series correspond to.

I had, at one time, a Pig Lite tripod which I believe was the green one with all the wobble in this vid (or it looks very much like it) with a photo ball head on it and it wiggled like somebody with a movement disorder. It was just fine for observation devices (spotting scope and LRF) but not mounting a gun on an ARCA clamp.

So, I upgraded (actually was gifted) to a 2Vets and bought an Anvil-30. That tripod has 36mm CF legs. Sort of wondering where that fits in to the RRS Series diameters. Does Series 3 mean its in the 30's of mm or??

I still have a trouble stabilizing my gun and shooting on the tripod but really have no practical experience in shooting from that type of platform or much practice at it yet. Perhaps I should bring it to the PA clinic in Sep and get schooled :)

Thanks again....great vid and look forward to more like it.

First number is diameter, second is leg sections, bigger is better in diameter, not as good adding sections

The bigger the leg the more stable, just like weight is stability, diameter is too

Then the sections are there for height, you actually want less sections as each one is a joint, and joints are weakness. Which is why the Inverted Tripod works well for Comps, two sections only. A 33 series is good for you, if you were taller, a 34 series.

Yes the series is size, so a RRS 3 series is in the 30mm range like the Two Vets, again, bigger is better, but bigger weighs more. I tend to travel and use the 23 Series a lot, it's the perfect balance for size and weight for me to travel with and shoot well. I can use a 33 Series but the tripod you see me use in class is a 23 series.

The rest is practice and technique

I’m just waiting for RRs to come out with the multi cam cerakote tripods…….they were asking opinions a while back. Hopefully they actually donit

Reactions: huntingthem
    @lowlight - Frank, thanks for the reply 👍 And my 2Vets is indeed 36mm and 3 sections. Be interesting to line it up against a real RRS SOAR and see any differences in stability.

And, after posting I actually found where RRS SOAR has a pdf of their printed catalog (well, dunno if they actually print it) online and it had the below graphic.

The leg dimensions correspond to:
    Series 1 at 1.120" = 28.4mm
    Series 2 at 1.283" = 32.6mm
    Series 3 at 1.443 = 36.6
    Series 4 at 1.603 = 40.7mm

1648149860663.png

@Baron23

The brands really have more to do with weight when you consider the same series. money too

But what you get with more money is less weight overall, the Two Vets is great, it's just heavier to carry than an RRS, same with the knock offs

You have all the information, it's up to you to decide, but when you start, look at the weight difference as well as the money

Why sound was fine they are on the table two

Chris talks quiet but I don’t
    it's fine but there's a noticeable echo. like being on a speakerphone in a bathroom echo. audio can get soo much better. The closer the mic is the better noise canceling and echo reduction.

it's fine but there's a noticeable echo. like being on a speakerphone in a bathroom echo. audio can get soo much better. The closer the mic is the better noise canceling and echo reduction.
    Do you think it might have been your data connection?

I did not have any echo at all.

It's the room, and the conversation part has echo remover,

The sound echoes from the stuff touching or bouncing is because the microphones were not on our body but off a bit.

The sound was, I can attach the mics, I have individual lavs, but really we were just seeing how it flowed, it was literally the very first moment Chris and I decided to do it, it was, Hey, we should do a video, okay I can come at 10 until 12, sure stop over tomorrow...

10:20, Hi Chris, what do you do want to talk about, I don't know what do you want to talk about, well I have a list of stuff I was gonna talk about, maybe something on that, oh wait, I have these tripods here, want to talk about those, sure... hold on I will get my camera, here are two mics (drops on table ). Ah fuck it, levels are fine, room has a tiny echo I can drop a filter on it, let's talk ...

3 takes later, hey that was good, ya perfect timing I have to get my kids, oh cool, I'll edit it up tomorrow, no big deal, it will be fine.

1 day later, I hear an echo, how about getting a mic ... douche

yeah, my 56k dail up modem is on the fritz or maybe AOL is throttling my bandwidth.
    So, I'm guessing you feel pretty justified in flinging this snark based on your in-depth knowledge and understanding of telecom, VOIP, and provisions in same to provide echo cancellation?

FFS...no worries mate. You be you.

So, I'm guessing you feel pretty justified in flinging this snark based on your in-depth knowledge and understanding of telecom, VOIP, and provisions in same to provide echo cancellation?

FFS...no worries mate. You be you.
    youtube certified expert.

• Haha
    Reactions: Baron23
    So you believe that the anvil has less wobble than the leveling base ? I have not found this to true for me (rrs) , actually not really very close , maybe I'm missing something with the anvil ?

I'll have mine there at class if you want to see and try an RRS system
    Thanks Nik....prob going to bring my 2Vets and spotting scope myself. Love to see the differences. Its going to be great. :)

Reactions: Nik H
    So you believe that the anvil has less wobble than the leveling base ? I have not found this to true for me (rrs) , actually not really very close , maybe I'm missing something with the anvil ?

Absolutely the same if the rifle is balanced

The leveling base increases the weight rating by 25LBS easily, it's normally 75 vs 100 in terms of rating but the Leveling base is also limited in the movement if you need to shoot angles and it has the stem which limits the ground clearance and in my case, my original leveling base slips now as it's so worn you have to double wrench on the lock to keep it tight

My original Anvil is flawless

Reactions: Nik H and Baron23
    Absolutely the same if the rifle is balanced

The leveling base increases the weight rating by 25LBS easily, it's normally 75 vs 100 in terms of rating but the Leveling base is also limited in the movement if you need to shoot angles and it has the stem which limits the ground clearance and in my case, my original leveling base slips now as it's so worn you have to double wrench on the lock to keep it tight

My original Anvil is flawless
    Great info, thank you.