• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Crosshairs not level when using bipod

tek_01

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Hey all first time posting

Pretty new so take it easy on me

Basically i have a remington 700 SPS with a bushnell elite 3200 scope on it, 1 piece mounts and a harris bipod (installed after by me). All set up at the gun shop (probably 5 years ago)

Problem is that when i use the bipod the crosshairs are not level (Canted is the term?) It is the NON swivel bipod

Is this a characteristic of the bipod? I noticded there is a bit of play if i move the bipod with my hand... well its actually the synthetic stock moving with the bipod.
As far as i can tell the rifle is level with the vertical cross hair so if i rotate the scope than the gun will be off

To make it level i have to have the right leg extended out 1" further than the left
Some help please? I really love the bipod and dont want to remove it

Re: Crosshairs not level when using bipod

Either your scope is jacked it its mounted wrong. Read up on the feeler gauge method and you'll figure out which one. I believe there's a sticky around here somewhere that explains it.

Well... I just had a quick look at my rifle to see if the gun was level with the vertical crosshair and guess what.. its not! i cant believe this, even looking mith my eye i can tell its way off

Would the gun shop have mounted the scope on a cant for a reason? when i pick up the rifle and hold it to my shoulder its level (so i must hold it a bit canted) but i was not at the gun shop when they installed it so they couldnt have known how i hold the gun

So best to re mount the scope? had a look at the feeler gauge method and it looks easy enough
Guess i may as well buy new mounts and rings for it if im going to take it apart... Thinking maybe egw? something relatively cheap

I'd say remount it and you should be good to go.

Suprisingly, a good number of gun shop employees are actually retarded. Not surprising at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suprisingly, a good number of gun shop employees are actually retarded. Not surprising at all.

41 </div></div>

LOL true but i would of thought better as there are not many around here compared to the states so thought the guys there would actually know their shit

Would you recommend the egw base + practical rings? its a .243 remmy 700

Or anything for around the same money that is better?

As for the stock if your rifle is the sps varmint the stock isn't the best it has a lot of flex in it you might look at upgrading it.

I have two things to mention about this. The first is, it could be your scope isn't mounted level to the bore and it sounds like you've checked so this might be the issue. I've had 2 scopes installed a gunshop and honestly, I will never let anyone else install a scope for me again. They just don't know wtf they are doing in most cases. I've also seen quite a few messed up scope installs.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that my rifle on a bipod doesn't sit exactly level. It's just slightly off level so it makes it look like the scope is canted, but it's not, it's that the whole rifle is slightly canted. So make sure that you check to see if the rifle is level before you straighten the scope to be level when it's on the bipod.

A lot of Harris bipods are not even. The legs don't seat well and are not the same angle so it cants the bipod and rifle. Especially non-swivel models.

I have two myself that are not even.

Same thing happens with my cheapo Caldwell bipod. I mounted my scope on my AAC and it is level with the action, but canted 3-4 degrees to the left with the bipod mounted. Thanks for the tip - I think I'll take some big pliers and bend the left leg in a little.

Buy once bend once I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suprisingly, a good number of gun shop employees are actually retarded. Not surprising at all.

41 </div></div>

There have been so many stories of f'ed up scope that start with "so I had my gunstore mount my scope".....

Search around and you will find great tips on leveling your scope to your rifle. If the resulting setup is still off with your Harris lock your legs in place level and rock on. Buy a swivel first chance you can, you'll never go back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of Harris bipods are not even. The legs don't seat well and are not the same angle so it cants the bipod and rifle. Especially non-swivel models.

I have two myself that are not even. </div></div>Yep, that's what mine is that's not even.

Leave the bipod on. My bipod does the same thing. Non swivel harris style bipods do this. I just make sure to level my rifle before I shoot, I need to get an anti cant level on my scope...im just too poor.

The benches we use at Rayners aren't level and my buddy Dale carries a wooden wedge around with him to level his non swivel Harris. Works well for him but just an idea you might try for the times you aren't on level ground or surface until you get a swivel bi-pod. We don't have to get that bi-pod load so letting it set on that wedge works but it may be a problem if you're exerting forward pressure with one leg on grass or dirt and the other on a wooden wedge. Would be cheap to try and maybe angling the wedge toward you to get your level might still allow you to load it.

Like others have said, get a swivel as soon as you can.

Topstrap

But holding my ridle from the rear making sure it is plumb and then looking through the scope shows it is not in the same plane as the gun.

Im thinking if i fix this, the bipod would be "close enough"
correct?
The gun shop wouldnt leave it on a cant on purpose would they?

Dont't trust any work that is done on your rifle unless it is done by someone you trust. Just remount your scope...

Good Luck...

Spend the $20.00 on the scope mounting levels. Worth their weight in gold. I leveled someones scope the other day and they told me its worse then when it was before. Thats because of all the years they shot a canted scope.

Bipod mistakes: allot of people buy the tall bipod when you usually need the short one. Second spend the money on the swivel nothing is perfectly level especially field conditions. Dont cut corners it's not worth the grief in the long run.

If you put a level on the top of your scope, on your knob covers or your target knobs like mine on my bushnell elite tactical 4200, it will show you if you are level.

Level, is level. Loosen your scope rings, adjust to level setting, tighten and shoot.

dude.. there is no reason to install it on a cant.. what shop did it for you in sydney?

Harris bipods - that's right they are not 100% even - and (if you're using the rifle anywhere other than a perfect bench-rest platform) neither will the ground you're placing the bipod.

If you're bipod doesn't have swivel and you don't have bubble levels physically installed on the weapon you're always going to be canted slightly. I have swivel but I don't bother with the bubble levels - I just use my eye. It doesn't bother me that I'll be probably slightly canted- what would bother me is if my reticle is canted as part of my set up and zero.. how irritating.

chances are your scope was originally mounted for offhand or shooting without a bipod which involves a natural cant. bipods hold your rifle level, therefore the original cant is noticeable.

i recomend getting a swivel bipod.

if not you will have to adjust one leg of your bipod longer than the other to compensate,

if you level the scope for use with your bipod, then it will be canted when shooting without it.

To level cross hairs I first put the rifle in a vice with the top half of the rings off and the scope out. Then I put a small level on the rings to make the rifle level in the vice. Put your scope in and put the rings on. Set up a plumb bob a ways off and line the vertical cross hairs with the string. Tighten properly and you should be set providing the rings and base are not twisted or otherwise deformed.

If a gunshop did it, there is a VERY good change it is fucked up. Level the scope to the rail and go from there.

There is no reason it should be canted other than the gunshop employee was most likely ignorant.

just fyi

every scope i have on my hunting rifles are slightly canted to compensate for my individual hold.

if you really want to see the effect, sight through an oppositte handed shooter's rifle