• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Crossover scopes TT, March and Minox

Jnull

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
Looking for a scope for a new hunting rifle, I like my rifles to be range worthy for practice but mostly hunting. I hunt a mix of dense woods and open fields/tree lines no further then 500 yards for a shot on game. I think I’ve narrowed my search down to the following 3 scopes, I realize the price swing from top to bottom is pretty big. Rifle is a defiance anti, 22” proof sendero lite 7prc in a manners LRH with Hawkins hunter bottom metal.

-TT 3-15x50 marksman
-March FX 4.5-28x52 shuriken turrets
-Minox ZP5 3-15x50

The minox seems like a great scope for the money but i don’t think the MR5 reticle is available any longer so the only option is the MR2. The MR2 only has a small center illuminated crosshair compared to the MR5 which was completely illuminated. Is the MR2 usable on 3x in the woods? Are the turrets locking on this scope?

While the March is 4.5x on the low end it has a wide fov (not as wide as the other 2). I really like the TR1 reticle but fear it wouldn’t be usable on 4.5x so I’d probably go with the PDKI which looks like it’d be fine at 4.5x. The higher top end wouldn’t matter for hunting but it would be nice for range fun. This scope checks a lot of boxes and the locking shuriken turrets are supposed to be great.

I have no doubt any of the 3-15 TTs are great but are they worth the extra money over the other two? The price on the March isn’t too far off but it’s considerably more than the Minox. Im not a glass or turret snob by any means, consistent, reliable and usable are what I’m after so I have no problem with “lesser” glass if it saves me money. The glass in all 3 will be fine which kind of makes me lean more toward the Minox and March but TTs reticle choices are great compared to minox. Thanks guys.

You can get the ZP 5-25 used on here for a great price. That's going to be the best bang for the buck if you can find the retical, which I think you can.

You can get the ZP 5-25 used on here for a great price. That's going to be the best bang for the buck if you can find the retical, which I think you can.

I’m looking for a 3-15, a 5-25 would be huge on a hunting rifle.

It's only about 5 ounces difference in weight though

And a 5x bottom, I haven’t looked up the fov but it’s probably not as good as the March 4.5-28

Edit, looked it up, a little under 25’ at 5x it looks like. From what I’ve read they’re great scopes but a little more then I’m looking for on this rifle.

And a 5x bottom, I haven’t looked up the fov but it’s probably not as good as the March 4.5-28

Edit, looked it up, a little under 25’ at 5x it looks like. From what I’ve read they’re great scopes but a little more then I’m looking for on this rifle.
Yeah I get it, they are really awesome scopes. I'm going to get one for my 223 and sell my AMG at some point soon. I know the 525 isn't ideal for hunting. The March is an awesome scope. A guy that's at the range a lot has one and I've shot his a few times. Zeiss makes some good options too but I think the TT315 is going to be the king dingaling in your group and the best in low light too.

The TT315M illumination is ass and the G3XR reticle is difficult to use under 8x IMO. Definitely unusable at 3x beyond the major vertical and crosshair bars.

Yeah I get it, they are really awesome scopes. I'm going to get one for my 223 and sell my AMG at some point soon. I know the 525 isn't ideal for hunting. The March is an awesome scope. A guy that's at the range a lot has one and I've shot his a few times. Zeiss makes some good options too but I think the TT315 is going to be the king dingaling in your group and the best in low light too.

I’m sure it’s awesome but it’s about $600 more then the March and 1600 more then the minox so it’d have to be WAY better to justify the additional cost.

The TT315M illumination is ass and the G3XR reticle is difficult to use under 8x IMO. Definitely unusable at 3x beyond the major vertical and crosshair bars.

That sucks I like the G3XR. The gen 2 mil dot would probably be my best bet for hunting on 3x but I’m really not crazy about it. I also figured their illumination would be top notch as well, should be for what they cost. I’ve also read the March illumination isn’t very good either too tho.

That sucks I like the G3XR. The gen 2 mil dot would probably be my best bet for hunting on 3x but I’m really not crazy about it. I also figured their illumination would be top notch as well, should be for what they cost. I’ve also read the March illumination isn’t very good either too tho.
I’m not sure if it’s like Schmidt where you can RMA the scope and get the illumination turnt up because they optimized it for night/NOD usage. Very easy call to Armament to find out though, super helpful folks.

I’m not sure if it’s like Schmidt where you can RMA the scope and get the illumination turnt up because they optimized it for night/NOD usage. Very easy call to Armament to find out though, super helpful folks.

I didn’t know that was a thing, thank you.

Why not the TT3-15 hunter for the heavier reticle? Also, you might want to take a look at the March 1.5-15x42 dual focal plane.

Reactions: Jnull
Why not the TT3-15 hunter for the heavier reticle? Also, you might want to take a look at the March 1.5-15x42 dual focal plane.

I like the marksman better overall I guess, the gen 2 mil dot reticle offered in the marksman would make a fine hunting reticle I’d just prefer something that worked better for range too if possible.

I was really interested in the 1.5-15 when it was announced but since it’s come out the reviews have been less than favorable. I hate the dual focal plane reticle too but they do offer a regular FFP reticle I liked. Reviews of the 1.5-15 is what pushed me toward the 4.5-28.

Reactions: Franko
Gen 2 Mildot in the 3-15 Tangent Marksman is a great hunting centric scope, and is alright as a crossover in my experience. That would be my vote. I wouldn’t buy a TT315 with a Gen2 XR or Gen3XR.

The 3-15 minox is pretty hard to find. IMO, the reticle choices are not really great in the 3-15, and having to ship across the pond for any warranty work is less than ideal.

The 4.5-28 March may be tough to mount on a short action long action, just as an FYI.

If you’re looking to save some money, a used 4-16 ATACR is a pretty decent crossover.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSTactical
The March 4.5-28x isn’t much heavier than the TT315M and in the same ballpark, though less expensive, than it. Huge FOV, fair illumination, but still not “awesome” albeit I’m not sure it needs to be. Optically you’ll give up some edge clarity and parallax performance vs Theta and put on ~3oz, but it seems like a good trade for your usage.

Wouldn’t be concerned about mounting it to a SA length receiver, I’ve seen it done.

Reactions: Glassaholic
The March 4.5-28x isn’t much heavier than the TT315M and in the same ballpark, though less expensive, than it. Huge FOV, fair illumination, but still not “awesome” albeit I’m not sure it needs to be. Optically you’ll give up some edge clarity and parallax performance vs Theta and put on ~3oz, but it seems like a good trade for your usage.

Wouldn’t be concerned about mounting it to a SA length receiver, I’ve seen it done.
Haha, meant to say long action. Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about a short action.

Gen 2 Mildot in the 3-15 Tangent Marksman is a great hunting centric scope, and is alright as a crossover in my experience. That would be my vote. I wouldn’t buy a TT315 with a Gen2 XR or Gen3XR.

The 3-15 minox is pretty hard to find. IMO, the reticle choices are not really great in the 3-15, and having to ship across the pond for any warranty work is less than ideal.

The 4.5-28 March may be tough to mount on a short action long action, just as an FYI.

If you’re looking to save some money, a used 4-16 ATACR is a pretty decent crossover.

Yea if I went TT the mildot would be my best option, which I’m not crazy about but admittedly I don’t have a lot of experience with a reticle like that so it could grow on me. It’d just hate to spend that much and not get something I love.

I’d have to order the Minox, but I’d have to order the March as well so that doesn’t really bother me. I’m not even sure what reticles minox offers, they discontinued the MR2 a while back but the MR2 and MR5 are both listed on their site. But from what I’ve read here and seen I think they’d both work fine as hunting reticles, everyone I’ve seen here with experience seems to like them both. You’re not wrong on warranty work but it’s not like that’d be my only scope and rifle.

My action has a full length rail so scope mounting shouldn’t be an issue.

Attachments

• IMG_4779.jpeg
    IMG_4779.jpeg
    915.1 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Secant

There’s compromises with anything but the March sure is appealing. I think I’ve come to the conclusion the TT isn’t worth the extra cost over the minox so I think I’m between the March and minox. Im building an identical rifle with the same stock and barrel length/contour but in a medium length lone peak in 6.5prc so I’ll need another scope. I might put a March on the 7 and a minox on the 6.5.

This rifles a long action but has a full length rail.

Just as a datapoint the 4.5-28 won't fit onto a long action defiance anti-x with the integral pic rail. It's just a wee bit too short.

That’s why I went with the anti to get the full length rail. I have an anti-x on a different rifle and hate the integrated split rails for that reason.

I didn't think about it and now regret I didn't go with a full rail.

Same here man, expensive mistake. That’s why I went anti this time. Got it right before the price hike too so it’ll likely be my last defiance action.

Reactions: TheOE800
TT315M with the Gen 2 MilDot is the shit for hunting rigs, I have a few. They’re not bad as a crossover scope either. I can still bang holes and steel well with it just fine. It’s very pleasing to the eye for me. Especially when hunting. As said earlier though, the illumination is definitely not “daytime” bright like a vortex razor 1-6.

If only ZCO would drop a competitor to try and de-thrown the TT315M… that’d I’d be interested in.

If the TT is in the budget, do it. No RAGRETS

TT315M with the Gen 2 MilDot is the shit for hunting rigs, I have a few. They’re not bad as a crossover scope either. I can still bang holes and steel well with it just fine. It’s very pleasing to the eye for me. Especially when hunting. As said earlier though, the illumination is definitely not “daytime” bright like a vortex razor 1-6.

If only ZCO would drop a competitor to try and de-thrown the TT315M… that’d I’d be interested in.

If the TT is in the budget, do it. No RAGRETS

Haha yea you’re right, once the money is spent there’ll never be any wishing I didn’t spend it on that optic. I’m getting prices on all 3 then go from there. I’ve read and heard so many things about minox like discontinued reticles and they’re not importing them to the US any longer but their site shows both reticles that use to be available and from talking to blaser USA I should be able to order one through them so we’ll see where that goes. If I can get a minox it’ll be hard to not go that route over TT, from most of the posts I’ve read it’s right up there with TT but significantly cheaper.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
Went through a similar search ~6 months ago. Unfortunately March 4.5-28 and definitely TT315 or ZCO 4-20 were out of budget. I ended up going with a Burris XTRIII 3.3-18 as a good budget crossover option. It has 2 good reticle options depending on your preference, bright enough illumination, and most importantly for a field scope IMO - big FOV and very forgiving eyebox. Also mounts well on a short action Anti-X and looks like it should be fine with a LA (though don't have one to confirm 100%). I plan to upgrade to the Steiner T6 3-18 at some point when budget allows, but not sure if I'll ever be able to justify the $ for an Alpha scope.

Went through a similar search ~6 months ago. Unfortunately March 4.5-28 and definitely TT315 or ZCO 4-20 were out of budget. I ended up going with a Burris XTRIII 3.3-18 as a good budget crossover option. It has 2 good reticle options depending on your preference, bright enough illumination, and most importantly for a field scope IMO - big FOV and very forgiving eyebox. Also mounts well on a short action Anti-X and looks like it should be fine with a LA (though don't have one to confirm 100%). I plan to upgrade to the Steiner T6 3-18 at some point when budget allows, but not sure if I'll ever be able to justify the $ for an Alpha scope.

I hear you, I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford whatever I want within reason but I’m a bargain shopper and I don’t buy “the best” just to have it. It has to be worthwhile over something considerably cheaper. I’ll actually make a list of bigger purchases throughout the year and wait till Black Friday for the best deals on them, I almost never pay full price for anything.

I’ve actually been looking at the XTR3 pretty hard and even the T6 a little. I’m basically looking at three tiers, XTR3, minox middle of the road and March/TT. At 3 times the cost is the TT or march going to gain me anything over the Burris for what im using them for? Doubtful. The minox seems just right at a high value for what it costs comparatively, but I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t just something about the March that seems really appealing.

Euro optics is just over an hour from me and they have the exact March I want in stock. But it’s doubtful I’ll get any kind of discount and I’ll get charged tax. I’ll gladly wait 90 days after ordering one to save probably $300+. I’m working on getting some prices before making any decisions but I need 3 different scopes, I see myself buying an XTR3, ZP5 if I can order one and a 4.5-28 March. Then I can see which rifles are the best fit for them.

Unrequested opinion:

Razor LHT 4.5-22 is a pretty damned good scope. I was very excited with clarity, weight, and FOV. Mag ring is a little stiff. Only downside I could find. Illum and reticle work very well.

Unrequested opinion:

Razor LHT 4.5-22 is a pretty damned good scope. I was very excited with clarity, weight, and FOV. Mag ring is a little stiff. Only downside I could find. Illum and reticle work very well.

I did look at them, if I was counting ounces it’d definitely be more of a consideration. But for a little extra weight I think the XTR3 is the way to go for that price range.

On a side note, the 4-20 ZCO isn’t much heavier and around the same price as the March. Is it worth throwing into the mix?

Yep, for what it's worth I compared a Razor LHT 4.5-22, XTR III 3-18, and Mark 5HD side by side.

In broad daylight it was Mk5 head and shoulders ahead of the LHT and XTR (and it should be for ~$500-1k more street price) and LHT ever so slightly ahead of XTR, but in low light (30 mins before sunset to ~30 mins after/end of legal shooting light) it was the Mk5 slightly ahead of the XTR and both of them head and shoulders better than the LHT. While the image on the Mk5 was slightly better than the XTR, without illumination I lost the reticle way before end of shooting light (lack of good reticles with illum is the entire reason I was looking for alternates to my Mk5), thus I ended up with the XTR.

If finances allowed I'd be looking at the March 4.5-28, ZCO 4-20, and Kahles 3-18. TT315 would make my list of they offered a Gen3XR with slightly thicker lines. When I started my search last fall I did a fairly exhaustive comparison of FOV and eyebox, by the specs the XTR really stood out amongst its peers, and the only scopes significantly better by this metric were the TT315 and March 4.5-28. In fact I was just waiting for the shuriken turrets to become available before buying the March when we found out our house needed a new roof, thus XTR :D

I just purchased my second March 4.5-28. I love the size, weight, fov, reticle (FML-TR1) and overall build quality. This one has the shuriken turrets and they are fantastic. I am thinking of sending the other scope back to Japan to have them installed.

I went through europtic. I just asked for a discount and they gave me a code(I have an at). It covered the taxes.

Last I looked, Don at long range supply has the non shuriken ones in stock at a discounted price.

Everyone’s eyes are different. I couldn’t see much of a difference in the optics of other alpha scopes so I went with the reticle, weight, length, FOV, and cost of the March scopes.

I don’t hunt so I can’t comment on how well it works in the woods.

Yep, for what it's worth I compared a Razor LHT 4.5-22, XTR III 3-18, and Mark 5HD side by side.

In broad daylight it was Mk5 head and shoulders ahead of the LHT and XTR (and it should be for ~$500-1k more street price) and LHT ever so slightly ahead of XTR, but in low light (30 mins before sunset to ~30 mins after/end of legal shooting light) it was the Mk5 slightly ahead of the XTR and both of them head and shoulders better than the LHT. While the image on the Mk5 was slightly better than the XTR, without illumination I lost the reticle way before end of shooting light (lack of good reticles with illum is the entire reason I was looking for alternates to my Mk5), thus I ended up with the XTR.

If finances allowed I'd be looking at the March 4.5-28, ZCO 4-20, and Kahles 3-18. TT315 would make my list of they offered a Gen3XR with slightly thicker lines. When I started my search last fall I did a fairly exhaustive comparison of FOV and eyebox, by the specs the XTR really stood out amongst its peers, and the only scopes significantly better by this metric were the TT315 and March 4.5-28. In fact I was just waiting for the shuriken turrets to become available before buying the March when we found out our house needed a new roof, thus XTR :D

Thanks for the info. The xtr 3 is tough to ignore for the price it can be had at.

I just purchased my second March 4.5-28. I love the size, weight, fov, reticle (FML-TR1) and overall build quality. This one has the shuriken turrets and they are fantastic. I am thinking of sending the other scope back to Japan to have them installed.

I went through europtic. I just asked for a discount and they gave me a code(I have an at). It covered the taxes.

Last I looked, Don at long range supply has the non shuriken ones in stock at a discounted price.

Everyone’s eyes are different. I couldn’t see much of a difference in the optics of other alpha scopes so I went with the reticle, weight, length, FOV, and cost of the March scopes.

I don’t hunt so I can’t comment on how well it works in the woods.

He still has them at a great price but only in the TR1 reticle which I love but everyone says it’s not usable at 4.5x unfortunately so I’d be going with the PDKI reticle. I keep leaning more and more toward the March.

I’m looking for a 3-15, a 5-25 would be huge on a hunting rifle.
The 5-25 isn’t that bad, had mine on my crossover hunter for years, a 7mm SAUM for elk and antelope, 5x wasn’t horrible as it has impressive FOV for a traditional design. I love my March 4.5-28x52 but I’d caution you if you plan for a lot of low light shooting, the March is phenomenal in daylight and was designed more for PRS style competition than it was as a crossover scope.

Minox 3-15 is a fantastic scope that weighs almost as much as the 5-25x56 oddly enough.

If lowlight is your game you might consider the Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56

The 5-25 isn’t that bad, had mine on my crossover hunter for years, a 7mm SAUM for elk and antelope, 5x wasn’t horrible as it has impressive FOV for a traditional design. I love my March 4.5-28x52 but I’d caution you if you plan for a lot of low light shooting, the March is phenomenal in daylight and was designed more for PRS style competition than it was as a crossover scope.

Minox 3-15 is a fantastic scope that weighs almost as much as the 5-25x56 oddly enough.

If lowlight is your game you might consider the Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56

I was really close to buying the March but haven’t due to low light which we run into a lot while hunting.

There’s a TT 3-15M in the PX for a great price but it’s the G3XR reticle…

I’ve actually been waiting for Liberty to announce their Steiner and Burris sale and grab a XTR3. Is the T6Xi worth the extra cost and weight over the Burris?

I was really close to buying the March but haven’t due to low light which we run into a lot while hunting.

There’s a TT 3-15M in the PX for a great price but it’s the G3XR reticle…

I’ve actually been waiting for Liberty to announce their Steiner and Burris sale and grab a XTR3. Is the T6Xi worth the extra cost and weight over the Burris?
The Burris XTR III is a nice scope, especially for the price, but if lowlight is your game, the T6Xi is definitely going to be a benefit with the 56mm objective, for me it is worth the 4ish ounces additional weight for a crossover scope.

The Burris XTR III is a nice scope, especially for the price, but if lowlight is your game, the T6Xi is definitely going to be a benefit with the 56mm objective, for me it is worth the 4ish ounces additional weight for a crossover scope.

Thanks for the feedback. Is that the only thing that makes it worth the additional cost over the Burris?

Thanks for the feedback. Is that the only thing that makes it worth the additional cost over the Burris?
I had the original USA version of the XTR III, they had some QC issues with parallax, turret and magnification resistance that when combined with the dragon scale knurling did not make for a very pleasing experience for the user, it seems like the Philippine made XTR IIIi has toned down the knurling and lightened up the resistance so if that is truly the case then it makes the XTR IIIi a better contender. I do not know how the illumination between the XTR IIIi and T6Xi compare but the T6Xi is pretty good. Biggest difference (after the objective) would be Steiner offers the MSR2 reticle which I really like/prefer for crossover rigs as I find it more usable at 3x than SCR2 reticle. T6Xi is assembled in USA like the old XTR III if that's a factor for you. Other than that, the XTR IIIi is an excellent choice.

I had the original USA version of the XTR III, they had some QC issues with parallax, turret and magnification resistance that when combined with the dragon scale knurling did not make for a very pleasing experience for the user, it seems like the Philippine made XTR IIIi has toned down the knurling and lightened up the resistance so if that is truly the case then it makes the XTR IIIi a better contender. I do not know how the illumination between the XTR IIIi and T6Xi compare but the T6Xi is pretty good. Biggest difference (after the objective) would be Steiner offers the MSR2 reticle which I really like/prefer for crossover rigs as I find it more usable at 3x than SCR2 reticle. T6Xi is assembled in USA like the old XTR III if that's a factor for you. Other than that, the XTR IIIi is an excellent choice.

The Steiner also has locking turrets and the Burris does not from what I understand. The Burris is hard to ignore for the cost tho.

Do you find the SCR2 to be usable with illumination at 3x? I prefer tree reticles.

The Steiner also has locking turrets and the Burris does not from what I understand. The Burris is hard to ignore for the cost tho.

Do you find the SCR2 to be usable with illumination at 3x? I prefer tree reticles.
Good catch, yes, locking turrets on the T6Xi but not like ZCO and Vortex, it is a dial on top you can turn off/on with a twist. My first T6Xi was east to unlock but my new one is really hard and I end up turning the turret if I don’t use two hands so may need to go back to Steiner/Burris for repair. @5RWill can tell you about usability of SCR2 at 3x.

Yep the SCR2 is usable at 3x with illumination. It's not great in full sun looking into shadows, but is still better than non illuminated. But in full shade/dark woods and at dusk or dawn it is great.

I also find the floating T section that is illuminated very conducive to quick target acquisition. After comparing it side by side with the Razor LHT 4.5-22 I actually found the XTRiii to be more usable at 3x than the Razor at 4.5x, which is one of the primary reasons I went XTR, even with a 6-7oz weight penalty for a backcountry hunting rig.

Good catch, yes, locking turrets on the T6Xi but not like ZCO and Vortex, it is a dial on top you can turn off/on with a twist. My first T6Xi was east to unlock but my new one is really hard and I end up turning the turret if I don’t use two hands so may need to go back to Steiner/Burris for repair. @5RWill can tell you about usability of SCR2 at 3x.

I didn’t know that’s how they worked on the Steiner thanks for pointing it out, sounds like an interesting design. Might be difficult to operate with gloves on.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Yep the SCR2 is usable at 3x with illumination. It's not great in full sun looking into shadows, but is still better than non illuminated. But in full shade/dark woods and at dusk or dawn it is great.

I also find the floating T section that is illuminated very conducive to quick target acquisition. After comparing it side by side with the Razor LHT 4.5-22 I actually found the XTRiii to be more usable at 3x than the Razor at 4.5x, which is one of the primary reasons I went XTR, even with a 6-7oz weight penalty for a backcountry hunting rig.

Good deal thank you.

Reactions: Max_trax
He still has them at a great price but only in the TR1 reticle which I love but everyone says it’s not usable at 4.5x unfortunately so I’d be going with the PDKI reticle. I keep leaning more and more toward the March.
What does frustrate me a bit is that March gives you different stadia in the FMA-3 and FML-PDK variants than the FML-TR1 and FML-3. If you look here the difference is obvious. The stadia/crosshairs on the former two variants thicken and continue nearly to edge of the FoV at 4.5x. The latter two (PRS biased?) aren't made that way... for reasons I fail to grasp, honestly. You would think that at least the FMA-3 and FML-3 would mirror each other with the exception of MOA vs. mrad, but they don't. It's similarly baffling that the FML-PDK, and even more competition-oriented reticle, incorporates the low mag appropriate cross hairs, but the FML-TR1 and FML-3 do not.

I'm not going to get rid of my March - I like it a lot. However, I think I am going to migrate it to replace a lower quality optic sitting on my "game" gun. I fully expect to never encounter any of its limitations on that platform (low mag reticle and low light exit pupil) while enjoying the awesome FoV, stray light handling, and other goodness.

Reactions: Turbwhistle
What does frustrate me a bit is that March gives you different stadia in the FMA-3 and FML-PDK variants than the FML-TR1 and FML-3. If you look here the difference is obvious. The stadia/crosshairs on the former two variants thicken and continue nearly to edge of the FoV at 4.5x. The latter two (PRS biased?) aren't made that way... for reasons I fail to grasp, honestly. You would think that at least the FMA-3 and FML-3 would mirror each other with the exception of MOA vs. mrad, but they don't. It's similarly baffling that the FML-PDK, and even more competition-oriented reticle, incorporates the low mag appropriate cross hairs, but the FML-TR1 and FML-3 do not.

I'm not going to get rid of my March - I like it a lot. However, I think I am going to migrate it to replace a lower quality optic sitting on my "game" gun. I fully expect to never encounter any of its limitations on that platform (low mag reticle and low light exit pupil) while enjoying the awesome FoV, stray light handling, and other goodness.

Yea if the TR1 had the same stadia lines as the PDK it’d be perfect.

Reactions: DJL2