• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crow Foot Wrenches

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
I am looking for recommendations on a set of crow foot wrenches for gunsmithing (mostly to torque muzzle devices and such) I have an old set of Craftman but they are too thick to use on some muzzle devices. I was trying to torque an Area 419 universal adapter on my .338LM and can't find anything thin enough to fit. It uses a 7/8" wrench.

I could not find ones to that met my needs so, ended up just machining my own.

I could not find ones to that met my needs so, ended up just machining my own.
How much would something like that cost? Did you take an existing wrench and mill it down? I have thought about having a friend do that for me with a couple.

I see nothing wrong with wenches with crows feet a good wench makes her man money hourly .

lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mike_in_FL
*If* you can find some 'Proto' branded ones they are what you're looking for.
You want, specifically, open ended crowsfoot sockets.
They make them in 5 sided line wrench style and those will do you no good, nor will closed 12 point style.
As far as I know, only Proto makes the thin models.
or

*If* you can find some 'Proto' branded ones they are what you're looking for.
You want, specifically, open ended crowsfoot sockets.
They make them in 5 sided line wrench style and those will do you no good, nor will closed 12 point style.
As far as I know, only Proto makes the thin models.
or

$900+ dollars a set. Way to much for the little bit I will use them.

I am looking for recommendations on a set of crow foot wrenches for gunsmithing (mostly to torque muzzle devices and such) I have an old set of Craftman but they are too thick to use on some muzzle devices. I was trying to torque an Area 419 universal adapter on my .338LM and can't find anything thin enough to fit. It uses a 7/8" wrench.
Just buy a cheap set from Harbor Freight, then grind them down to the thickness you need. They're cheap so you won't feel bad.😂

Hate to say it but Harbor freight or lowes. I got an adjustable torque wrench for work and now I use that for gun stuff.

btldtw-4.jpg

The local machine shop can reduce the profile on their surface grinder. Sometimes, special application tools
need to be made. In any normal Sears you can buy loose stock so you're not required to buy an entire set.

Ebay has some Strap On's for 15.00 including a 7/8" .... 263703718986

How much would something like that cost? Did you take an existing wrench and mill it down? I have thought about having a friend do that for me with a couple.
If you do not have the machines at your disposal, the best route is to have a set machined/ground down to proper thickness. I can mill or grind a set down for you (no cost) if you want to ship them to me.

A 3" x 21" belt sander (cheap) will grind down your wrenches just fine . Just lay it on its back and grind to desired thickness . The platen is plenty big enough to keep a flat grind .

I have this double-ended crowfoot wrench, the thin profile end is a close 7/8" not a 3/4" as marked.
IMG_2324AR Muzzle Device Crowfoot Wrench Double Ended 2022.jpg
IMG_2329AR Muzzle Device Crowfoot Wrench Double Ended 2022.jpg
IMG_2330AR Muzzle Device Crowfoot Wrench Double Ended 2022.jpg

Typically more expensive tools will be thinner in the case of spanners/wrenches.

If you only the one size then you can either spend the money on a snap on one or by a cheap one and grind down as above.
It doesn't have to look pretty, just needs to do the job.