• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

crown jewel of the nagants

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
For all us Nagant lovers. Holy Crap! I want one
whistle.gif

Re: crown jewel of the nagants

Cool! Is the Finn Model 28-76 Mosin Nagant military match rifles?

I've been told that they're pretty damned accurate. I have a couple standard Finns and they shoot quite well with my handloads throwing a 200 grain Lapua D166 pill (specifically made for the 7.62x54r cartridge)

I think I might have to get one of these and see what she'll do. It sure would look nice with my other Finns...

The M28/76 is/was a target/match rifle - basically an acros-the-course rifle. The M85/T-IV or TAK 85 was a purpose built sniper rifle based on M91/30 actions. The receiver is not extended. What you see in front of the receiver is a barrel bedding block. The barreled action is attached to the stock at the bedding block only. The action itself free floats. The trigger is a special adjustable trigger built for the M85 and the cocking piece has had the knob cut off to reduce lock time. There is no active safety.

These rifles were issued in the mid 80's and are still in the inventory, but have been largely replaced by the SAKO TRG series.

I think the M28/76's would be a great purchase, since they are obviously built for, "a legitimate sporting purpose." 7.62x54mm ammo is still pretty cheap in bulk, too.

Crown jewel of Nagants? Now would that not be a Czar Grade? Have Faberge' jewel the bolt....

Kind of like a junkie here in that I try not to even look at Nagants, Garands, M1As, 1903's, K31s, M96's, etc. I see nice ones, I want them, I need them, I may have to buy them....

That is just great! Your handloads,what are they shooting at a hundred,300 hundred yards? This is getting interesting! Would this be something to shoot at a thousand yards? With scope on ,can I kept the diopter sights and ladder front sight?

This guy retired a couple of years ago from my dept. and is a freak about Nagants. He designed and got a patent for them.

www.rocksolidind.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This guy retired a couple of years ago from my dept. and is a freak about Nagants. He designed and got a patent for them.

www.rocksolidind.com </div></div>

Seen those mounts. Pretty solid stuff... sorry, couldn't resist
smirk.gif
wink.gif

I got one a week ago. Here's a range report I did on another forum.

Update with range report and target pics from today 5/8/09.

Ok, so it is a Mosin Nagant. But.......

It IS everything I hoped for, and more. This rifle is a SHOOTER!
laugh.gif

I had about 20 rounds of various stuff left over from some load tests I did with my finn M39 MN and ran them through this after the match last Sunday. The loads with the 175 smk looked promising. so I loaded a bunch more of them. I got it pretty close to being zeroed then.

175 SMK, 46.5gr RL15, Norma brass, CCI 200 primer, 2.980"COL, 2.400" to the ogive, 2525 fps.

I suck shooting from the bench so everything was shot from prone using a sand bag, at 100 yards on the SR-1 target with a 6" Shoot N C on it. The center ring on the Shoot N C is 1-1/2". Was on the gusty side out there today.

First target, used a few rounds to get zeroed in and then 10 rounds on target.

28-76Target1.jpg

Second target, I'm thinking I like the way this rifle shoots
smile.gif

28-76Target2.jpg

Third target, shot 5 rounds at center. Then started dialing elevation to figure out how much each click was worth. These rifles were set up for 300 METER prone matches, so the sight adjustments are in centimeters. The knobs are numbered, with a hash mark between each number. The number spacing works out to 1 centimeter (.393") per number at 100 yards, with the hash mark being 1/2 centimeter, based on how far the shot spacing was. The knob clicks are nice and positive, and there's even a locking thumb screw on the elevation. Oh yeah, one kind of weird thing about the elevation numbers. As you turn the knob to raise the rear sight, you're turning the knob towards smaller numbers, not bigger. So instead of going up 1,2,3 etc, it goes down 3,2,1 etc. The windage works like most scopes, i.e. Right - to me, Left - away.

28-76Target3.jpg

Fourth target. Was about 3:30 or so, and the wind died off. 10 more rounds. I got in a hurry thinking the wind would come back up and blew 3 of the shots (called all 3 of them as bad). But as you can see, it held a tight group for the other 7.

28-76Target4.jpg

Now if I can just come up with a scope base design and have Robert crank it out for me.

Almost forgot. Pics of the rifle.

It's a Finnish 28-76 Military Target rifle built on a Mosin Nagant M28/30. Like the Swede target rifles, these were selected after test firing for their accuracy. The Finns used these in European Prone matches (kind of their equivalent of our HP) into the 90's when they came out with their current rifle. Has aperture sights, a target stock made of arctic birch with rails on the bottom and side for hand stop/sling attachment, and a 2 stage match trigger (which is pretty smooth). The bore is bright and shiny, and a quick check shows the throat is not shot out. Oh yeah, it's already bedded too.

28-76-1.jpg

28-76-2.jpg

28-76-3.jpg

28-76-4.jpg

28-76-5.jpg

I checked the link and could not find any available at AIM. What did these rifles cost from AIM. I found one secondhand on Gunbroker for $850, seems pricey for a Nagant. My first Nagant cost me $25 at a flea market when I was 17, and it was a Vietnam war bringback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fighthard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I checked the link and could not find any available at AIM. What did these rifles cost from AIM. I found one secondhand on Gunbroker for $850, seems pricey for a Nagant. My first Nagant cost me $25 at a flea market when I was 17, and it was a Vietnam war bringback. </div></div>

These are no ordinary Mosin Nagants. I got mine from Empire Arms. He was selling them for the same price as AIM. I've purchased from Dennis before and he is A #1 to deal with. He has a great rep in the curio and relic world.

http://www.empirearms.com/ click on the "military rifles" link on the left side of the page.