• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Crown question

hibc

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Knoxville, T.N.
If a rifle had a bad crown, would it be possible for it to put3 or four rounds into the same hole then throw one off?

Re: Crown question

Probably an ammunition problem (out of tune) but, I'd have to know more about the rifle and ammo

Possible? perhaps... but not likely the reason.

Maybe check for powder fouling on the crown and if its excessive be sure to clean it, or change ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hibc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Factory LTR and Factory Hornady 168 amax </div></div>

How far out is it throwing the round and what does the main group look like? Triangle, Round, stringing verticle or horizontal?

Main group is triangled like a clover and the one it throws is usually .5" to 0.75" at 8 oclock

sometimes the one it throws will be directly opposite which would be 2 oclock but mostly 8 oclock, could it be me?
Ive thought that I might be anticipating recoil and pushing my shoulder into the rifle just before shot release but need anoth opinion.

Bedding? Receiver bolts loose? Maybe you could dry fire to check for flinch. I often pretend to load a round for someone who I believe is flinching and it will become quickly apparent if they do.

With factory ammunition it would be hard to rule out the ammunition itself from causing the occasional flyer you describe unless you in fact double checked bullet seating depth to ogive, headspace, runout, etc, round by commercial round. But who does that? And even then you are not resolving possible powder charge variance, bullet weight variance, etc., etc.

Maybe if you would handload a similar lot with high confidence in the finished rounds you could rule out the ammunition. Ed:The ocw fan's are probably going "its close to a scatter node." Maybe so.

I more often than not blame shooter when I'm the shooter and I have a flyer as you described. Its usually something I'm doing that goes away once requiring myself to return to as close to perfect shooting fundamentals as I can.

I don't think its the crown....

If it shoots groups into a triangle or circle then it's telling you it wants to shoot. If it's shot #5 or #1 that keeps going out then it's 99% you. If it's a random shot going out with no pattern it could be you but, probably the ammo. Try the Hornaday Match with a different bullet type like the TAP ammo with the 168 grain BTHP or another Match offering.

From what I've seen in the past, most problems are traced back to ammunition but, the shooter is still a huge factor. Try shooting several dot drills, two 5 shot strings, one shot per dot. Parallax must be 100% dialed out and you must have the largest image possible in the eye piece, no shadowing.....shot to shot.

Consistency is the name of the game. To me it sounds like the rifle is OK, if the crown were bad, it wouldn’t be grouping.

Thanks, thats probably what I needed to hear, Its a rifle that I havent shot much and havent built that confidence with yet.

WnRoscoe,

I love when they tell me 'the barrel won't shoot a group', and ask me to look at the barrel, when there is no reference as to how the 'group' laid out. was it drifting, running in any particular direction, what? Hard to troubleshoot. ha..