• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Crown question

toolmaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2008
N.C.
I do alot of machine work and gunsmithing for a local Class 3 dealer who is a friend of mine. Well he needed a Rem. barrel threaded for a suppressor but i just could not do it when he needed it done so he brought it to someone else. The 'Smith that he had thread the barrel is known for his bench rest rifles and did a fine job with the barrel. The smith told my friend that the type of crown he cuts makes the rifle more accurate beyond 300 Yds as compared to other types of crowns. His crown has a recessed barrel face with a conventional 45 deg. crown of the bore. I dont claim to be a precision rifle expert but i think this 'smith is blowing smoke up my friends ass. What do you guys think?

Re: Crown question

If a crown is burr free and perpendicular to the bore it's good to go. I've run 90 degree, 75 degree, 60 degree, USMC style and just about any other crown I could think of and there was no accuracy advantage with any of them.

A good crown goes a long way.

crowning out of the ass ...means the beginning of a bowel movement, no smoke there unless some nutritious Mexican was consumed prior....

Smoke, Mirrors & Mexican Food.

This thread's making me hungry for Pasados again

If muzzle crown is sufficiently concentric and square to the bore, that's the good crown. Crown profile is not a critical accuracy related factor. Good crowns can be formed by either on the lathe or with use of Dave Manson crowning tools. Your friend's statement is not supported by the common knowledge of people engaged in professional muzzle crowning business.

I tried to explain to my friend that the type and angle of the crown does not dictate how accurate the rifle can and will be.As long as it is square and concentric to the bore. He just kept saying ''this guy claims that his crown is the most accurate". Some people will believe anything you tell them, this guy is one of those people.

I once wasted Boltrippers valuable time with a thread about this before I become enlightened -I don't think he has ever answered another thread of mine LOL

I can't speak for others experiences, but I can tell you that I strongly agree with William. If the crown is properly cut, the rifle will be accurate no matter what style.