• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Crown with little tiny burrs...

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I just got done coating the barrel on my newest bolt rifle with Aluma-Hyde. I learned a little trick for coating the muzzle without getting on the crown or in the bore. You take one of those squishy earplugs and put it in the bore. Then you can coat the muzzle. Simply remove the earplug and it leaves a perfect clean ring around the crown. I've done this many times.

Here's where it got interesting... I always look at the crown with a strong magnifying glass afterward just to be sure it's even and clean and no Aluma-Hyde in the bore. I noticed the crown on this rifle (which is double-stepped and supposedly professionally done) has little steel burrs where the lands end. Only on one or two lands. Almost looks as though one side of the land extends out past the crown. Not at all as clean looking as my 40X. So far the rifle shoots great. Should I stress about this and have a Gunsmith clean it up? I would take pictures but it's way too small to see in a picture. What say ye? Thanks in advance...

Re: Crown with little tiny burrs...

Ive always been told that if a q-tip gets hung up, dragging it from the bore out over the crown, gets snagged at all, something is not right.

That was such a great idea I just had to go grab my rifle and a Q-tip and try it. It passed with flying colors. The burrs aren't into the bore. They seem to be sticking out of the bore. Like a portion of the lands have been pushed past the crown. Really weird. But I think I won't sweat it. Like I said, the rifle shoots Great.

If it shoots, leave it. If an otherwise precision rifle shoots like a high powered shotgun then it's time to take it to a good gunsmith.

It sounds like you are in the first boat. Leave it, shoot it, love it.