• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Crowning Tool

BlkExp98

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2004
South Carolina
I want to recrown a rifle but thought about trying one of those "do it yourself" deals. The rifle in question is a AK-47 so i doubt it can get worse but who knows. So to those of you who have used them whats the story? Am i better off just forgetting about it or should i give it a try since its not my bolt guns barrel?

I thought about sending the rifle off to have some work done so if all else fails i could have it redone. Ive just always been curious about doing it and found a place online that rents the tool for $20. One thing i wonder about is the closest pilot on his site is .308/7.62 but if i recall correctly 7.62x39 is .311 dia.

Thanks,
Major

Re: Crowning Tool

If cut correctly the chrome shouldn't chip but you have to be careful with a hand tool. Your hand can't create constant equal pressure. For this reason chatter is easy to come by. It would be better left alone that chattered up.