• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Crush washer for muzzle brake install?

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I've got a Surefire MB556K on the way but it's only got one shim. Can a crush washer be used to time it (not using a suppressor) or does it have to be timed with shims? I found a set of shims online for $4 but the shipping is another $13.

Re: Crush washer for muzzle brake install?

Try calling Surefire, maybe they will help you out. They may even send you some for free.

you should be fine using a crush washer as long as it is square to the bore, also the crush washer is kind of thick compared to the shim set so there will probably be some room between the end of the barrel and the first port that will accumulate carbon that you might want to keep an eye on.

Does it come with a crush washer? I haven't mounted that brake, but have used crush washer to time plenty of other brakes. Very easy to do.

tighten, let off, tighten, let off etc until timed where you need. Do not just yank as hard as you can until timed right. That puts un needed torque on the barrel.

I've used crush washers many times also but this brake comes from Surefire with shims so I wanted to check.

If you are using a suppressor, time it with shims. If you aren't and just want the brake feature, use a crush washer. No biggie. Just don't borrow someone's can at the range without looking down the bore for alignment!
smile.gif