• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BaconBits

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2020
(First post) I am reloading for 308. 208gr hornady eld with Reloader 15 using the hornady reloading manual. About halfway through my powder charge increments, I started hearing a crunching sound as I seated the bullet. I was seating to the same depth, and obviously more powder takes up more space. I started noticing a ring on the bullet from the seating die so I used an ogive comp and started seating to the max length of my magazine and under the max overall length (I plan on pulling the others and seating to the same depth.)

My questions are:
1 - Is the bullet not appropriate for that cartridge?
2 - Is crushing the powder unsafe?
3 - Generally speaking, are there ever times when the most accurate load require the powder to be crushed like this?

Thank you for the help.

EDIT: I do not believe these can be loaded to mag length. Make sure your OAL is in keeping with what the manual lists, or else just load to x distance from the lands.

Some will say that compressed loads are typically among the most accurate for that bullet/powder combination, as you are at 100+% load density.

208’s are on the heavy side for a 308, but not TOO heavy.

You shouldn’t be trying to shove 10 lbs of shit in a 5 gallon bucket, but a little compression is not a bad thing. Enough compression to cause the seating stem to leave moderate marks on the ogive is too much in my opinion.

Id recommend you take a look at the data again. Are you using the same case as they are? Did they use a drop tube? Did they mention compressed loads at around the same increment that you’re seeing?

Also, are you loading 208’s to mag length? If yes, that bullet is eating TONS of case capacity up, and is likely your root issue.

Try loading them .010” -.050” off the lands and see if your mileage changes.

Heavy bullet for 308
A drop tube would help.
I absolutely wouldn’t bother making them mag length, single feed length just off the lands.

Reactions: BaconBits
(First post) I am reloading for 308. 208gr hornady eld with Reloader 15 using the hornady reloading manual. About halfway through my powder charge increments, I started hearing a crunching sound as I seated the bullet. I was seating to the same depth, and obviously more powder takes up more space. I started noticing a ring on the bullet from the seating die so I used an ogive comp and started seating to the max length of my magazine and under the max overall length (I plan on pulling the others and seating to the same depth.)

My questions are:
2 - Is crushing the powder unsafe?
3 - Generally speaking, are there ever times when the most accurate load require the powder to be crushed like this?

Thank you for the help.

Why are you running that bullet?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s awesome but more suited for higher horsepower cartridges that can take advantage of its design when shooting beyond a grand.

I’d try the Hornady 178s or 185 Berger Juggernauts to see if they can produce the desired ballistics and effect on target you’re looking for. Both are a better match for 308 IMO.

Last edited:

tenor.gif

EDIT: I do not believe these can be loaded to mag length. Make sure your OAL is in keeping with what the manual lists, or else just load to x distance from the lands.

Some will say that compressed loads are typically among the most accurate for that bullet/powder combination, as you are at 100+% load density.

208’s are on the heavy side for a 308, but not TOO heavy.

You shouldn’t be trying to shove 10 lbs of shit in a 5 gallon bucket, but a little compression is not a bad thing. Enough compression to cause the seating stem to leave moderate marks on the ogive is too much in my opinion.

Id recommend you take a look at the data again. Are you using the same case as they are? Did they use a drop tube? Did they mention compressed loads at around the same increment that you’re seeing?

Also, are you loading 208’s to mag length? If yes, that bullet is eating TONS of case capacity up, and is likely your root issue.

Try loading them .010” -.050” off the lands and see if your mileage changes.

Ok, learning the proper terminology. My magazine area is longer than the OAL, but shorter than the distance to the lands. I was making sure to be under the length to the lands. That is what I decided to do instead of sticking to the recommended OAL in the manual.

Case used - Federal

I was using the hornady reloading manual in the 308 section and based all my measurements off that. I was assuming the case capacity was accounted for in the charge recommendations. It doesn't mention anything about a drop tube or compressed loads. Literally just the table with the charges for the velocity.

Why are you running that bullet?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s an awesome but more suited for higher horsepower cartridges that can take advantage of its design when shooting beyond a grand.

I’d try the Hornady 178s or 185 Berger Juggernauts to see if they can produce the desired ballistics and effect on target you’re looking for. Both are a better match for 308 IMO.

Honestly I picked them up because they had a higher BC and on the box it recommended a 1:10 twist which is what I have. I plan on pushing distance as far as I can go so I chose them to develop for that purpose.

So why is it in the Hornady manual 308 section and recommending heavier charges? Should I not trust it?
It’s a balancing act of BC and speed.
A great BC is worthless unless you can get them to a decent speed and just because it’s in a manual doesn’t mean it’s optimal.
Typically the best balance for 308 for long distance is 175-185ish bullets

It’s a balancing act of BC and speed.
A great BC is worthless unless you can get them to a decent speed and just because it’s in a manual doesn’t mean it’s optimal.
Typically the best balance for 308 for long distance is 175-185ish bullets

You rock man thank you. While I got you and we are on the topic, got a chrono you recommend?

You rock man thank you. While I got you and we are on the topic, got a chrono you recommend?

Labradar. Have owned mine for three+ years, use it at least 4x per month and never had any issues. It’s easy to set up and get started, nothing hanging off the barrel or suppressor.