• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Crystal Lens Eye Procedure ?

downhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Texas
Guys I am considering the Crystal Lens Procedure. I am told 20/20 at all distances to be expected. The web says the success rates are not as advertised. Have any of you had any experience with the surgery? I'm kinda on the fence about it.

Re: Crystal Lens Eye Procedure ?

downhill,

I haven't but fellow shooting buddy has had it and raves about it. He's 63 yoa, and has 20/15 both eyes post procedure, though he was told, and is experiencing a very mild but expected loss in acuity at close distance. Then again, his MD says he has such extraordinary acuity that he's sensitive to "normal" vision and may well be interpreting that as "loss." He says that his LR shooting has improved significantly. It ain't cheap from what he says. HTH

Is this the exact same as multi focal lens implant?

All I will say ,it is very exspensive ,insurances do not cover the extra cost,and most important for you research.
There are some eye forums out there with a lot of pro and cons.

Also,the research says and some docs agree, will not use a multi focal lens ,in Type A personalities...
But the most important thing for you is to find folks who have had it done,check the succes rate of the docs etc.
yeah I spent 9000 hrs reading over what I found,and peoples suggestions.
And no,I do not have the crystal lens,mine are standard distance lens.from 2400 vision to 20/30.Vision was getting worse by the week.
But .I can see to drive,read ,shoot,almost anything.
And at this time I cannot link you up to all I found,that machine crashed...
Even you tube has videos ,so read,research,talk to your doc and his head nurse if you can..Dont let them sell you on something.
Take care and hope you the best out come for you.
This is about you,not the docs...

I found out about 2 years ago I had a thing called keratoconus, and it is a thinning of the cornea from the bottom up. Seems I had it a while, but it got in front of the pupil of my right eye. I got headaches and had trouble reading even with the contacts. My eye doctor couldn't understand why my vision was changing at my age (douchebag, that's your job!)I could no longer focus on the front sight of a rifle or bow, because I saw 4 of them overlapping with my right eye.
I went to Will's Eye Hospital in Philadelphia and the diagnosed it. I went to the Low Vision Contact lens Department there a couple weeks ago and the doctor I got was about 35 and a hunter! Lucky me. I explained that I had trouble still with glasses, which I hate, and still couldn't shoot beause I couldn't focus my right eye at the distance of my front sight on a bow or rifle.
He did a mapping of my eye and manufactured special contacts, hard ones unfortunately, that compensated extremely well. I got the lenses two days ago and am getting used to them. I will need some cheater spects for reading close but only see one front sight and can aim just fine with 20/25 in that eye.
I can't express how happy I am to get back archery and shooting, as well good vision without glasses.
Total cost out of pocket without any insurance for it (contacts not covered) was about $600 for 2 sets and the exams. I would have paid 10 times that, and happily.
I'm gonna give that Eye doctor a 1894 Winchester made in 1914 for his kid, who is 6, as a token of gratitude, on my next visit.

any chance you could name the doc? PM me if you'd rather. I gotta find one who knows something about shooting. The ding-a-ling I went to last Feb gave me a prescription that "should work, " HAH.

BTW, I hope to goodness you're not gonna carry a rifle into Wills :D, although maybe in a golf bag it would work
smile.gif

excellent post guys,

tony

Will's Eye Hospital in Phila. is hands down the best eye place on the East coast - the only negative is if you don't specify, you may be having a resident doing the procedure. My understanding is that there is a huge learning curve to this procedure so research your options and doctors well -'my mom had it done a few months ago - cataract surgery with the lens implants in both eyes - and her vision is much, much worse (no, she did not go to Will's or the doctor I recommended).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any chance you could name the doc? PM me if you'd rather. I gotta find one who knows something about shooting. The ding-a-ling I went to last Feb gave me a prescription that "should work, " HAH.

BTW, I hope to goodness you're not gonna carry a rifle into Wills :D, although maybe in a golf bag it would work
smile.gif

excellent post guys,

tony </div></div>
Sending the name and # now. Don't worry about how I will give him a gift. If these work for me I will find a way to make it easy and correct....they have a couple suburban offices, and there is always the elevated parking garage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will's Eye Hospital in Phila. is hands down the best eye place on the East coast - the only negative is if you don't specify, you may be having a resident doing the procedure. My understanding is that there is a huge learning curve to this procedure so research your options and doctors well -'my mom had it done a few months ago - cataract surgery with the lens implants in both eyes - and her vision is much, much worse (no, she did not go to Will's or the doctor I recommended). </div></div>
Residents and new grads are very good to have. they learned everything like yesterday, are current on everything new, including procedures and treatments, aren't yet jaded and cynical, and have a fountain of recently learned up to date information readily available for instant recall. They also work under the supervision of a experienced attending.
Age or Time in has nothing to do with experience. You can do something once a year for 10 years or 10 time in a week, and it's the same amount of experience. HC professionals usually specialize, so they may be up to date in thier field (or not)but clueless and obsolete in others.
It was a young female Resident of Pakistani heritage but US birth (father a MD)who diagnosed my Cornea problem, when the second gen. 50 year old Opthomologist I had been going to for a decade didn't understand why my vision was changing even though he did the testing that should have made it obvious. The Resident spotted it immediately. And that was in the General Clinic at Will's Eye Hospital (12th floor I think). The referral came from there. The experienced attending on the floor just stuck his head in, signed off on her work, and that's the way it should be. She did fine.
Young, new, intelligent nurse's and doctors are great to have. Everything they know is up to date, they are enthusiastic, and not afraid to ask for advice. Older ones sometimes, often, spend thier time hiding the fact they are obsolete. I know. I am in the business. I'll take the 23 year old Nurse or 25 year old Doctor anytime, especially when they have resources available.
laser surgery is not a option for what I have, and could be catastrophic. It it had been I am sure they would have told me. If a lens replacement was appropriate I am sure i would have been directed so. For me it was special, stiff contacts that will take some getting used to. I am grateful I had good guidance and advice, and have a option that is successful. I just need those polaroid sunglasses with the little magnifying lenes in the bottom when I fish now, because close in i have trouble with the lenses and need cheaters to read, and tie knots in #10 hooks. I don't mind at all, because being able to drive, work, fish, and hunt without glasses on all the time is great to experience again.

Went for trout this morning and yup, had a hell of a time tying hooks with the contacts in. First place I went, before home, was the Sporting Goods store for those polaroids with the cheaters.
Got some reading cheaters on the way home too. Don't mind at all, since my vision from almost arm's length out is great now.