• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CTS Trimmers

rduckwor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2011
AL, USA
Guys:

I bought these in 308 and 223 versions to speed up my processing. I cannot seem to trim to the length I want.

I have talked to Jim both on the phone and via email and he has been very helpful, but still I struggle.

EX. I set the 308 cutter to length using a case that measures 2.0045" in length. I'm just allowing the cutter head to rest (it's own weight) on the mouth of this case, tighten the Allen screws snugly, then tighten them down firmly.

When trimming, I am running about 400 RPM and using light case pressure against the cutter until I feel the cutter stop trimming. I'm getting cases out of the cutter at 1.999 - 2.000 even after resetting the cutter length over and over.

I cannot help but feel something I am doing is at fault. Please help me troubleshoot this issue. AM I expecting too much precision from the cutters?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Are you resizing before trimming on a single stage or progressive? Are you sure your dies are set right and you are bumping the shoulder back? The CTS trims/measures from the shoulder and not the entire case length so if the shoulders aren't bumbed back and are different legnths you may have that problem... I can be way off, but it's my thoughts.

Thanks Splat. Got it figured out finally. Yes, I'm resizing on a single stage and have the shoulder bump set correctly. Basically, I had to find a long case and progressively trim until I could get the trimmer set to the right trim length.

Bit of a PITA, but its dead on target now.