• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper’s Hide Cup Cup 2014 is there a thread?

I continue to search for one as well, but I am on here nearly every damn day and have not seen one. The Google search feature turned up nothing for it yet.

FYI - LL put up the 2013 Cup's Official post in early February last year.

I am waiting for 100% confirmation on the changes for 2014...

Dates are looking like the weekend of the 23rd of May 2014.

I am in negotiations to possibly move it to within 1 hour of Denver proper. (DIA is about 50 minutes away) So logistically it should be much easier for people.

But I have not gotten official word yet so rather than string people along I wanted to wait until I knew for sure. I am supposed to know this week, we are 99% there as of this weekend.

Douglas is a little remote but its hard to beat the setup there. Location of the shoot is a shooting paradise...

Thanks LL. either location works for me. I have a friend up in Wright that is having a round up, branding, drinking, eating, shooting, bullshitting session for the first week in June.

We have a friend in the Irish Army that was planning on shooting in the SHC and needs to know when he applies to the ATF for importing his 338L. He must be entered into and prove (his entry form)he is shooting in a competition to bring his bang stick into our fine country.

Last edited:
I will show up and shoot either location. Will this be going back to a square range or will it continue to be fairly open moving shooters through with ease?

I will show up and shoot either location. Will this be going back to a square range or will it continue to be fairly open moving shooters through with ease?

I'm down for either location either way myself. Douglas is just a lot closer for me but I know I'm in the major minority.

It's not a square range, it's 6000 acres and open, just not quite a pretty as Douglas. Similar, but a bit flatter.

Much of the same targets already on site and because I am closer to it than Douglas I can make more props to change up the stages so it's not all the same.

[MENTION=11227]jasonk[/MENTION] you can stay in the front yard, but I suspect the girl will spray you with the hose to move you and the dog might take some exception to being on his turf. I would recommend I pick you up, drop you off at the range and stay there. For others there is camping really close, Jackson Lake State Park is really close, camping and stuff there. Fort Morgan has camping at some riverside park right off the highway.

I have posted some limited pictured of the area before on FB,

Here is the 1000 yard target in one section, with the natural backstop
946228_10151760327362953_1447402857_n.jpg

A target at 1150...

993632_10151822418862953_724684301_n.jpg

Team Steiner out on one of the natural shooting positions

1454986_655756844447842_842249981_n.jpg

Behind them is the entrance, would be parking and the tent area.

More than enough space to accommodate everything and logistically just easier if it happens.

Nice, that's only about a 1.5 hour drive from me. I might have to try to make it this year!

Frank, can I ask why the change from Douglas to here? Is it just a logistics issues, or is there another reason?

Bill

I'm a bit ignorant on CO laws concerning magazine capacity. Will there be any issues for us coming out of state bringing our gear down? I don't own any 10 round pistol mags.

I called a NRA chapter and a gun store for a trip there in Oct and its only buying and selling. YMMV

There is no issues with the law it doesn't affect a thing. You can bring a Glock 33 round mag.

Bill, its just easier. The hotels in Douglas were hard with the oil companies taking the rooms. Most flew into Denver anyway then drove 4 hours. I like Douglas but people had a hard time with the trip and area that far away from everything.

Like I said more than once, logistics.

LWilliams

I have a friend(rancher) who is just getting into this. We bought him a Rem 700 Tact for his birthday in October. He is 13 miles north of Wright on the left side heading south from Gilette.

I'm sure wherever LL decides to host the SHC 2014 it will be one hell of a shoot. Driving through Douglas, it looks like the oil and gas is even crazier than last year so I am betting motels would be tough once again.

Last edited:
Damn, I enjoyed flying into Gillette and having the Varmint_Slayer limo service pick me up last year and drive me down! Will still make it to this one either way though.

Damn, I enjoyed flying into Gillette and having the Varmint_Slayer limo service pick me up last year and drive me down! Will still make it to this one either way though.

You still can fly into Gillette and take advantage of the limo service. Also can take the limo service to the new location in CO...

You still can fly into Gillette and take advantage of the limo service. Also can take the limo service to the new location in CO...

Is the limo fixed? I dont want to get stranded just outside of Gillette and have to have your wife rescue us again haha. Sure is nice though to have a day at your place to practice at elevation and blast some dogs before the comp.

Is the limo fixed? I dont want to get stranded just outside of Gillette and have to have your wife rescue us again haha. Sure is nice though to have a day at your place to practice at elevation and blast some dogs before the comp.

Haha yes the limo is fixed and running strong. A little unknown distance live target shooting is great practice for sure.

That'd be great if it's just outside Denver. Looking forward to this being my first comp!

Last edited:
Hope you don't move it to North of Denver. Nothing but flat land there. Might as well just go to the range. Just my two cents. I'd come if it was in Douglas again.

Hope you don't move it to North of Denver. Nothing but flat land there. Might as well just go to the range. Just my two cents. I'd come if it was in Douglas again.

There's actually some pretty interesting & cool landscapes just North of Fort Morgan. That's where I'm currently working. I'll miss Douglas for sure though & I'm glad I was able to shoot there this year. WY is home, but just like LL said, it's a logistical nightmare.

More local shooters in the Denver area, logistics wise it will be better for people flying in too. I am definitely planning to shoot it this year, will be my biggest comp so far.

I understand the logistics convenience thing, but the complex terrain and vegetation at Douglas was really fun. I think "mountain" topography (yeah, Douglas is really a bunch of hills) makes for a more interesting match by far than shooting on flats.

If the area is like the photos above, then target situations and CoF views will be terribly monotonous. Sounds like prairie dog shooting or more farmland square range shooting. It will probably change the attendee demographics a bit.

Did that many people say that they would not be back to Douglas? The Cup had a real winner going there with the terrain complexity, the awesome property owners, and the short drive to town.

No, the target package will not be monotonous because I will be adding in props and obstacles, and quite frankly while Douglas is very nice, I like it... that was a match with a single COF. There was very little difference between the stages, and the "Hills" had very little bearing on the shot.

The fact I am 1 hour from the range, means I can change things up, add in props, and make sure each stage is unique.

One thing CO misses that other matches have is, that mix of props and obstacles because out here they depend on the terrain a bit too much, when in fact it changes the COF very little.

People had issue with the town and the drive... and honestly Fort Morgan is very close to Weldona. It's just easier all around.

if you think it will be boring, don't attend...it's pretty simple, bet on it's failure with your lack of support.

Cup 2014 is there a thread?

Two words for a guaranteed a return to Douglas: White Wolf....

Last edited:
It doesn't look to bad Frank. I'm down for either as are a few more guys from NE WY.

But seriously....White Wolf
Is there a suitable substitute in the area? Could be a deal breaker for some...lol

I would give my left nut to shoot on that range at the Hide Cup. Not my right nut though.

Maybe sometime...

No, the target package will not be monotonous because I will be adding in props and obstacles, and quite frankly while Douglas is very nice, I like it... that was a match with a single COF. There was very little difference between the stages, and the "Hills" had very little bearing on the shot.

The fact I am 1 hour from the range, means I can change things up, add in props, and make sure each stage is unique.

One thing CO misses that other matches have is, that mix of props and obstacles because out here they depend on the terrain a bit too much, when in fact it changes the COF very little.

People had issue with the town and the drive... and honestly Fort Morgan is very close to Weldona. It's just easier all around.

if you think it will be boring, don't attend...it's pretty simple, bet on it's failure with your lack of support.

Those are decent reasons, changing the CoF substantially will make it interesting. It definitely sounded like the 2012 event was verrrry similar to the 2013 event from the comments, so was sort of expecting the same just flatter.

Maybe I'm just spoiled with basin and range topography out here.

This is actually easier/less expensive for me, as I have family in Denver and can stage from there before and after.

And yeah, I'm not betting on its failure, like last year I'm hoping this is my main vacation from grad school and work land. *wipes Frank's tear*

Frank I vote for target's in/around/on-top of the busted ranch house for one stage!

Know one thing though when the wind blows up there it is just like Wyoming, quite a few of us have hammered at coyotes up there, and the terrain has a lot of rolls and hills to it. You can drop a round towards Nebraska because there is so much open terrain up there but the wind will make your round turn towards Kansas, damn 22-250,,,,lol. But seriously great place to shoot if you know the ranchers up there.