• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Curious as to why CW & CCW options on S&B? Prefer?

mattmcg

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
CA
In looking at the S&B scopes, I noticed that they come in both clockwise (CW) and counter-clockwise (CCW) options on various scopes. Almost all of the scopes that I'm familiar with are CCW so I'm wondering why they decided to go that route?

Do all S&B scopes come in both a CW and CCW option? Also, what is preferable?

Re: Curious as to why CW & CCW options on S&B? Prefer?

Right-handed shooter will adjust elevation with his left hand.

Easier to push the turret counter-clockwise with the left thumb than with the left index finger (pull with the thumb).

Interesting. Being a right handed shooter, I tend to steady the buttstock with my left while using my right hand (trigger hand) to adjust dials. Heck with windage on the right, it works out better anyway.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In looking at the S&B scopes, I noticed that they come in both clockwise (CW) and counter-clockwise (CCW) options on various scopes. Almost all of the scopes that I'm familiar with are CCW so I'm wondering why they decided to go that route?

Do all S&B scopes come in both a CW and CCW option? Also, what is preferable? </div></div>

Before this thread spins into speculative obscurity, I feel that someone should jump in here and address your questions with a little bit of knowledge as to how scope adjustments actually work.

There are a few opinions on what and why, but with mine being the most important, I'm inclined to share...

Being someone who has a few hours inside a scope and most recently, a riflescope manufacturer, I think I can not only address the question, but possibly lend some guidance.

Rather than get into the theory of paraxial optics, I'll give you the pragmatic view:

With scopes that have a fixed-rotating turret; meaning that when you adjust the elevation or windage, the dial turns, but NOT in and out, to or away from the scope body-this explanation is applicable.

CW (clockwise) turret mechanisms have a right-hand threaded turret engagement. Therefore, when you spin the dial clockwise, the bullet impact moves UP and/or the reticle moves DOWN while looking through the scope…kinda makes sense if you observe this through the scope. However, this is counterintuitive if you consider the physics of what is actually happening.

CCW (counter-clockwise) adjustments entail a left-handed thread engagement which when dialing CLOCKWISE, the bullet impact moves DOWN and/or the reticle moves UP when viewed through the scope.

Back in school, my shop teacher had a saying: “righty-tighty, lefty-loosy”. This holds true to adjusting a scope. If you turn the dial CLOCKWISE (righty-tighty), then one would expect something to happen in THAT direction. Me, if I’m zeroing a scope, I’m looking at the report on paper. Therefore, if my bullet impact is HIGH, then when adjusting the turret down (righty-tighty), I expect the bullet impact to move DOWN. “…a US trend” might just be the explanation of an esteemed colleague, but it also happens to make ALOT of sense.

Now back to CW (clockwise)….this happens to be the “European” standard. It’s origins are very vague, but most recently, I was given a pretty damn good argument….When dealing with wind that is blowing say from right to LEFT, when adjusting a scope’s windage adjustment to compensate, [with a clockwise/right hand thread] you will turn the turret the LEFT (counter-clockwise), which in turn moves the bullet impact RIGHT.

I’m not really sure when I’ll end up if I continue this diatribe, but suffice it to say:

Righty-tighty, bullet impact DOWN
Lefty-loosy, bullet LEFT

US/American trend/style or not, it happens to make more sense………………….

I realize that this is an “S&B” directed thread, but being a consummately accommodating scope company, Premier also offers the option of “CW” or “CCW” turrets. Right or wrong, the customer deserves a choice.

Best Regards,

Chris Thomas, President
Premier Reticles

i have a question related to the above post.......
i have a schmidt bender sorry for the blurry pic heres a pic of the elevation turret
1-9.jpg

when looking thru the scope, and turning the turret clockwise towards 1 mil 2 mil etc. the cross hairs move down.........is this right, or is the scope backwards??
help apreciated!

Chris, thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to think about a screw moving down and up corresponding to bullet impact. I was really interested in the logic difference between the two and it seems that when you get down to it, it becomes a preference item and how you were trained.

And jayjayturner, you have a CW (clockwise) turret on your S&B. That means that turning the elevation knob clockwise will lower the crosshair in your scope raising the bullet impact.

Chris, it really is a US/Euro thing.

M16 iron sights are counter-clockwise for up, counter-clockwise for left.

Euro iron sights (like Anschutz and Gehmann) will turn clockwise for up, counter-clockwise for right.

Re: Curious as to why CW & CCW options on S&B? Pre

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjaytuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a question related to the above post.......
i have a schmidt bender sorry for the blurry pic heres a pic of the elevation turret

when looking thru the scope, and turning the turret clockwise towards 1 mil 2 mil etc. the cross hairs move down.........is this right, or is the scope backwards??
help apreciated! </div></div>

So you have a CW knob rotation.
A reticle moving down would cause to you elevate the muzzle or elevate POI to zero on the crosshair... which is what you want to compensate for bullet drop. Like what was posted above, the erector cell or crosshair direction is opposite of POI. It's only mentally backward if your customed to dial the other rotational direction..expecially when not observing numbers.
Not sure what what you meant by "backwards". The intent matches the function.

Deleted to correct for my error....

thanks for the help everyone to my questions..........i needed to clarify this as i had my scope sold to a member, but he kept insisting that the turrett was CCW, and backed out of the sale. i had a feeling i was right the whole time but didn't want to argue with him.
jay

US optics will also make a CW scope, or at least they did for me, I think I may have the only CW Tpal 5x25 in existence and it is fantastic.

No training (read screw ups) when I switch from my S&B and back.

regards

Ewen

Have Lupy, NF, and S&B-- since Lupy/NF are CCW, I wanted my S&B the same.

It seems like CW S&Bs are more prevalent on the sales sites.

I seem to recall that S&B's were CW only until the USMC insisted on CCW for the scopes they were buying. Under pressure most of us revert to whatever habit patterns we established first. Trying to switch back and forth is a sure recipe for disaster at the worst possible moment. Of course if you don't practice making quick adjustments, it will still probably bite you in the butt eventually. In the match I shot last weekend I saw four shooters move their knobs in the wrong direction over the course of two days, and they were not working within time critical environment.

Cheers,

DC

With due respect to Chris Thomas and the "lefty-loosy, righty-tighty" principle, I've spent more than a few hours inside a book. I read from left to right and like to see a string of numbers increasing from left to right too. So... I prefer a CW turret because the numbers increase from left to right as I look at the dial. It's just that simple for me.

So One-Eyed, I take it you are sticking with S&B exclusively or are there other CW scopes that you use?

Personally the key thing for me is to stick with a standard and stay there. I'm not trying to mix and match for obvious reasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hazardus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So One-Eyed, I take it you are sticking with S&B exclusively or are there other CW scopes that you use?

Personally the key thing for me is to stick with a standard and stay there. I'm not trying to mix and match for obvious reasons.

</div></div>
No, I have several different makes of scope (Leupold, USO, Hensoldt, S&B). I am lefthanded in a righthanded world, so I have to constantly adapt and scopes are no different. CW is my preference, not a specification, for the reason I described.

Just a little trivia, Leupold M3LRs were originally clockwise-up. they changed to counter-clockwise-up with series F or G (I believe).