• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Curious: Does anybody still buy Gemtech cans?

slimguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
Albq., NM
Given their past actions to hurt our community (despite their intentions) does anybody still see them in good standing?

I do own 1 of their cans as it was one of my first.

I take their lack of concern for the community as a lack of concern for me personally. I reason I am part of the community suffering due to their actions meaning they are not concerned with me.

Re: Curious: Does anybody still buy Gemtech cans?

So you are going to blame Gemtech for the laws that the ATF makes up? You're pointing the finger in the wrong direction, Gemtech is not the enemy here (though at least one company would love for you to think so).

-X

I would order a Gemtech can if they actually made something I thought was better than available elsewhere.

The only thing I can think of that fits that requirement is their new Titanium SandStorm 30 cal model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slimguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given their past actions to hurt our community (despite their intentions) does anybody still see them in good standing?

I do own 1 of their cans as it was one of my first.

I take their lack of concern for the community as a lack of concern for me personally. I reason I am part of the community suffering due to their actions meaning they are not concerned with me. </div></div>

Out of curiosity, why do you care what other people are buying?

I was mad posting.......

Oooops......

Note to self, calm than talk as usual.

It does bother me that they handled the situation the way they did but the damage is already done.

I guess I don't care what other people buy as much as I was trying to bring a certain situation to light that many may not have been aware of. Than, they can make their own informed choice.

I will still not purchase any more of their products but to each his own.

.....and, I really don't hear much about them anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slimguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was mad posting.......

Oooops......

It does bother me that they handled the situation the way they did but the damage is already done.

I guess I don't care what other people buy as much as I was trying to bring a certain situation to light that many may not have been aware of. Than, they can make their own informed choice.

.....and, I really don't hear much about them anymore. </div></div>

Just so I'm clear on this, you don't really care what people are buying (as the thread title suggests) but just want to stir up drama after becoming overly emotional, correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slimguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was mad posting.......

Oooops......

.....and, I really don't hear much about them anymore. </div></div>

Please elaborate on the reason behind this post, as I'm unaware of trouble w/ Gemtech. I own a couple of their cans and am waiting on a third right now. Wouldn't say I'm a huge Gemtech fan, it's just that my Class III dealer is kinda pushing them. I hope to have a TBAC .223P soon, so I'll have another can of the same cal to compare it to.

"I guess I don't care what other people buy as much as I was trying to bring a certain situation to light that many may not have been aware of. Than, they can make their own informed choice."

You are making statements that are not supported by facts. A little research goes a long way in countering this particular urban legend.

"This is the central issue...

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter54.txt

These letters predate Gemtech asking ATF for clarification on actions by AAC.

I have found them to be nothing but responsive to my requests. I had them replace the internals in my Outback and upgrade to Outback II..great service and quick turnaround. I will send back when I fill it up and have them repeat the process..probably take a coulpe of years...

Ok so I read that letter. So what's the big deal? Did they blow the whistle on another company about violations of that or something.
DK- A baffle strike after 200rds? Something was up with that can brother. Hopefully they make it right.

I dont much care for Gemtech and how they treat their customers. They were all very rude to us at Shot Show 09 and I think other companies have more to provide, technology and customer service wise. That is my personal opinion. Others may like the can and want to defend them, thats fine. I have found better performance from other companies. I have handled and shot a gemtech. I just prefer other makers....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

AAC basically built a baffle stack, put it in a tube and put Gemtechs' name and serial number on it.
Gemtech sent a letter to ATF asking for clarification as to whether or not this was kosher..it obviously was not and everyone in the industry knew it. The BATFE had a pre-existing rule that should any can get this type of upgrade it was considered a new build and subject to a new tax.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions on any manufacturer and the way they conduct themselves. I think it important to research statements before blowing info out your ass that others will then take as factual statements.

I own three Gemtechs and one Yankee Hill ( YHM gets little use), and plan on getting the T2 when it comes out. Very good products and customer service for the products that I have bought. No complaints here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck Gemtech!

My Gemtech performs the worst of my cans in sound reduction and has a fucking baffle strike with less than 200rds through it. </div></div>

+1

Not to mention they lied abiout thier cans being fully wleded and were actually held by a pin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"shell within a shell"
"you get two suppressors, one a fully welded core, the outside a partially welded core for ease of repair."</div></div>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48DajwkIFOw

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10473

On top of the Gemtax BS, I'd NEVER buy one.

FWIW I own:
3 AAC
2 Degroat
2 SWR
1 KAC

AAC could make a can that felaited me while shooting and I wouldnt buy it.

Ive owned 3 Gemtech cans still have 2 of them, my pistol can financed a moving truck for when I moved out to NOVA. Still regret doing that

I own a couple of Gemtech Quantums (integrally suppressed MKII and MK77) and love them. Also an Outback and Mini Mossad that are good. The oly Gemtech can I am not impressed with is a Halo I own. It mounts on an A2 flash hider. I find the point of aim is rarely repeatable - I guess because I can never remount the can exactly the same each time. Also, it degrades accuracy. When I shoot it on a Les Baer AR15 that normally shoots 1/2" at 100, groups open up to 1 1/2".

I don't hate Gemtech. I think the "fully welded core" BS is lousy of them, and their superficial laser welds do not inspire confidence, so I doubt I would buy one of their rifle cans. The Outback II is a good rimfire suppressor if you need ultra light weight and don't mind sealed aluminum. The Multimount and Tundra appear to be genuinely decent 9mm cans, and the Sandstorm is at least interesting dur to the light weight.

I talked and even hung out with some Gemtech folks at Shot, the guys I talked to were alright, but at the end of the day, I have bought quite a few cans none of them Gemtech. If I were them I would bail while the bailings good, their brand image is done, time to regroup.

I am happy with my Outback II. My HVT caused a pretty bad loss of accuracy with my Remington 700, but they just upgraded my baffle stack gratis. I'll let you know if that fixes my problem.

I've also used Gemtech for barrel threading, and they do a good job. One custom thread protector I got was not finished very well, but at least it gets the job done.

My buying experiences with AAC, on the other hand, have been very bad. I recommend buying only from a dealer who has the item you want in-stock (if you think the ATF takes a long time, then you've never waited on AAC).

I don't think Gemtech's reputation is bad at all, unless you believe everything you read on AAC's marketing site that doubles as an online forum.

I own 3 Gemtech cans and several more of various manufacture.

The performance is pretty much ass, except for my 9mm Raptor for the MP5's.

The Gemtech .223 cans are crap based on their performance against my others from AWC, and SWR.

My Coastal .22 LR cans are quieter than the SOS version from Dr. Dater.

Oh yeah, their customer service sucked 5 years ago, I haven't expected them to get any better.

I have a couple of Gemtech's nothing wrong with their product... The real Dr Phil's been in the business a long time and is aways a helpful voice. If i were in the market for another can I'd consider Gemtech.

m21black...another very solid post. Ive learned a lot on my Whisper projects on the work you have already done...

Ive owned 1 Gemtech can,the 5.7 and it was good in suppression but failed in design when it kept banging up against my pistol and marking up the can.I spoke to a Gemtech customer rep and he said to take a dremel tool to my 5.7 pistol or buy the right model(IOG)pistol that the can actually worked with(the rep said Kel recommended this option).About two weeks later he said send the whole thing in after I had tried one of the options but frankly,I did not trust them after the previous advice they gave me.Im not to impressed with their CS,YMMV.

I have shot their Outback which was impressive,I have shot their Viper which Im not impressed with.

I have a Gemtech HVT with 1000rds through it on my .308 700 and no problems. Do I wish it was a little quieter, yes, but it does what it is designed to do, and has been reliable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My buying experiences with AAC, on the other hand, have been very bad. I recommend buying only from a dealer who has the item you want in-stock (if you think the ATF takes a long time, then you've never waited on AAC).
</div></div>

That's par for the course for any suppressor manufacturer and isn't necessarily unique to AAC. As for getting it from somewhere in stock (including if it needs to be Form 3'd), that's good advise for any suppressor purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's par for the course for any suppressor manufacturer and isn't necessarily unique to AAC. As for getting it from somewhere in stock (including if it needs to be Form 3'd), that's good advise for any suppressor purchase.</div></div>

While I agree that it's good advice, my experience with Gemtech is that when they say they have something in stock, they do in fact have it in stock. And unlike some other manufacturers, they don't take your money until they have actually shipped your order.

In my opinion, nobody should take your money for a stock item until it's been sent to you. Custom-made items are a different story.

I like Kel and Owen but don't much care for their centerfire cans. I DO like the Oasis in both short and long variants.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll let you know if that fixes my problem.</div></div>

I think they fixed my problem:

M700_HVT_Clover.jpg

So, I would characterize my experience with Gemtech customer service as absolutely outstanding.