• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Curious ejection

TBC

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2004
Indiana - USA
No big deal here, just a curiousity -

My Rem700VSS (.22-250) usually doesn't eject its empties clear of the rifle. Tried a couple different ejectors and springs but the empty brass still ends up laying on the follower where I have to manually pick it outta there.

I figured they are hitting the windage turret (Leupold 8.5X25) and ricocheting. Like I said ... no big deal, I'm no Operator or match competitor.

The curious part -

I bought 60 pieces of Norma brass (not specifically for the ejection issue, just to try out some expensive brass)
wink.gif

And yep, you guessed it ... never fails to throw the Norma empties across the bench.

Now you'd think there'd be a measurable difference somewhere that would account for this - but I can't find it. Weight and dimensions of WW RP and Norma are too close to call.
crazy.gif

TBC

Re: Curious ejection

IMHO I would bet the thickness of the walls of the neck are different.

My 700 with the Falcon does this if I run the bolt too fast. It will only do it with empty cases. NOT dummy rounds. Dummies will fly clear each time.

Push your plunger down with a 3/32 punch and make sure it goes down a little below flush with the boltface. If not you could have something in the plunger hole.

Any funky marks on the brass or excessive brass slivers behind the extractor?

You could also cut half a coil off the spring until it ejects less forceful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could also cut half a coil off the spring until it ejects less forceful. </div></div>

If I understand him correctly there's no issue with flinging it across the bench, the issue is that one type of brass does it and another type doesn't. It's brand specific, and he would like it to eject 100% like Norma does, but he's been just dealing with the WW dropped off and sitting in the action.

To the OP-
If you run the bolt fast does the WW eject? If I run the bolt slow in my savage (same style ejector) it will knock the case off the bolt face and dump it in the receiver. If I run it faster it will flip it out of the action without any issue.

When I'm shooting on the bench I just run the bolt slow so I don't have to chase brass, but I want to have the reliability that if I NEED to eject the brass it's gone. No questions.

Also, I think the dummy rounds flip free because you have all that mass from the bullet up front being rotated by the ejector and even when it pops off the bolt face there's a lot of energy from the moving dummy bullet that drags the case out of the action with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim Kobe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you have a problem with the extractor. </div></div>

Thats what it sounds like. The brass should make no difference unless the rim of tht head has different enough dimensions to make it work. The extractor has to hold the rim back enough for the ejector to have enough spring to fling it.