• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

curiousity on barrel .308

rem700man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
phoenix, AZ
I have a Krieger MTU 22" threaded and profiled for the FTE brake in .308 all work done by KMW. Im thinking of rebarreling to a different caliber. The round count in the barrel is 1400. It still shoots great.

What would that barrel be worth if Iwere to put it up for sale. Im just looking for a fair price estimate. It is duracoated in OD with some scratches in it.

Re: curiousity on barrel .308

assuming the scratches you mentioned are on the outside....prolly fair market might be 275-300...maybe more w/lug

Re: curiousity on barrel .308

What action was the barrel fit for? If a Remington action, were the threads re-cut? What is the twist of the barrel? If the barrel has to be cut and re-threaded at the breech to fit another action and then re-chambered it will de-value the barrel. If after 1400 rounds the crown needs to be re-cut, (not unusual), then it will have to be re-threaded for the break and potentially shorten the barrel to 18". I am not suggesting for a minute that an 18" .308 will not shoot. I am however suggesting that not everyone will be interested in spending a couple hundred $ to have a 1,400 round count very short barrel mounted to their rig.

However, if it has been fit to an action where a good rifle smith can screw it in, check the headspace and go; it may be worth $2-300 to someone that doesn't want to wait for a good .308 barrel.