• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Current AR 15 Scope question

Snip-er

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2017
So I have a Vortex Spitfire 1x on my AR 15. Its a nice scope, but I'm thinking about going to a magnified scope. First would like those of you who know a lot about scopes if I should keep the Vortex Spitfire or look for something with some magnification. The reason I'm looking is my eyes aren't what they used to be even with corrective lenses. Looking for some advice on what to do and what you guys think about the Vortex Spitfire.

What do you use the rifle for and whats your budget for a new optic?

I've got no experience with that particular red dot but its probably on par with the other imported red dots out there. They tend to work well for most but don't hold up to the same level of abuse as an Aimpoint.

What do you use the rifle for and whats your budget for a new optic?

I've got no experience with that particular red dot but its probably on par with the other imported red dots out there. They tend to work well for most but don't hold up to the same level of abuse as an Aimpoint.

Just for plinking at the range. I don't hunt, but I do want to maximize the distance of the AR when target shooting. Budget, $500 or under

A red dot is great for home defense or close quarters, but not great for much precision past 100yds. If you want to do both shoot at longer distances and up close I think a 1-8 LPV scope is the perfect scope for the AR platform type rifle. You got 1x or as close as you can get on the low end and 8x on the high end which is plenty for reaching out to 600+ yds.

For your budget, I would recommend the Vortex PST 1-4x24. If you stretch your budget a little or search around for a used model, I would also recommend the PST Gen 2 1-6x24 for a little more magnification if you felt like you needed or wanted it. I have the 1-4 PST on my AR right now and have found it to be adequate.

PST 1-4's are discontinued and if you're searching for new give the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 or 1-8 look, both are well within your budget. I've used the 1-6 some on my AR and I'm actually pretty impressed by it, the BDC matched up pretty well to 55 gr ball from a 16" barrel out to 400 and up close it was pretty good too. I agree though, if you can stretch your budget some I'd go for PST Gen II 1-6.

I have a vortex pst 1x4 on a 16 inch ar 5.56. Love it. The best of both worlds. It has a lighted reticule so on 1 power both eyes open just like your red dot. When need to go farther, crank it up and go. I also have a 1x6 strike eagle on a 16 inch ar 6.8 mm. Love it also. The pst has better glass but it’s on my dedicated Deer rifle so it works fine. Also have an Aimpoint on another ar 16 inch. Like it also but very limited on use and farther engagements. For now it’s going to stay because the daughters are going to start Deer hunting and the red dot Aimpoint is the way to go for close range deer hunting for them. When they get older, the Aimpoint is gone, will get another vortex 1x4, 1x6, or 1x8. Really like the versatility of the lower power variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 great scope for the money, but then I bit the bullet and got the Primary Arms Platinum FFP 1-8X24 with the ACSS reticle and I really like the ACSS reticle the BDC has been spot on with M855 out to 600yds I don't see what else one could want in a LPV scope reticle. I like it so much I also ordered the Primary Arms 1-8 SFP with the ACSS reticle it is actually the same scope as the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 except it has the ACSS reticle. Probably going to sell the Strike Eagle now.

I tried to like a 1-6 and just couldn’t. 6x always left me wanting more magnification for precision work and it wasn’t as good as an aimpoint at 1x. I ended up getting a 3-12 which works pretty well for general purpose shooting/hunting within 600 yards.

I have a PST 1-4 and an ATACR F1 4-16 on my two AR's, one is more of a distance shooter and the other is for the close stuff.. I love them both for their intended uses... It's great to have choices..

PST 1-4's are discontinued and if you're searching for new give the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 or 1-8 look, both are well within your budget. I've used the 1-6 some on my AR and I'm actually pretty impressed by it, the BDC matched up pretty well to 55 gr ball from a 16" barrel out to 400 and up close it was pretty good too. I agree though, if you can stretch your budget some I'd go for PST Gen II 1-6.

Didn't realize that about the 1-4 PST's, guess I should have googled a little more before responding. I almost mentioned the Strike Eagle, but only personally know 1 person that has one and haven't had the chance to ask him how he likes it. Gauging off of your response and the responses above, I'd say it's safe to assume that they're a good choice as well.

I got my Strike Eagle off the prize table at a match and at first I wasn't sure I would like it because I'd looked through them a couple times and I wasn't all that impressed but I was pleasantly surprised. I think the other ones that I'd looked through had the diopter adjustment turned all the way in, making the image at 1X look horrendous. Adjusting it correctly though gave me a nice, crisp FOV that looked really good at 1X all the way up to 6X. The BDC like I said is tracking really close to 55 gr ball out of a 16" barrel, which is mostly what I shoot out of that rifle anyway. I think it's hard to go wrong with that scope if you need some extra magnification at the range or for getting started in multigun competition.

My friends who have the Spitfire on their .450 Bushmasters or .458 Socoms love them but I personally have no experience with them.

I just ordered a Burris XTR II 1-5 Mil reticle from Natchez with the 10% site wide sale and it was $433 shipped. I've looked at them at Cabela's and gotten some very positive feedback. It will go on my 8.3" Blackout.