• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Current Best Hand Priming Tool

Scrumbag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2020
U.K.
Hi Folks,

Looking for a news handpriming tool.

Ideally I'd like one that does the following cases:

.223 Rem
.257 Roberts
7x64
9.3x62
.44 mag
.404 Jeffery

(Most loaded will be .223 Rem and .44 mag)

I like the look of the safety gate on the RCBS Universal but here it is rubbish with .223 Rem

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

plastic hand primer is a plastic hand primer I have one problem with my rcbs hand primer and if I had slowed down a little I would have seen the screw thingy was about to fall before it did at almost 4k rounds loaded one slip is not so bad .

I've tried a good amount of them and find something I hate about all of them. I did kinda like the Frankford arsenal one but the ergonomics were off for my style so it was a bit slow for me. I'm currently using the Lyman one but constantly have to repair and modify it. I do high volumes though so I need something that I can keep moving fast. I have 3 total of the Lyman ones and the last one I bought wouldn't set the primer deep enough so that one got cannibalized.

Same. I use a tray-based hand primer (RCBS I think) for all my plinking loads, and the 21st Century model for precision loads. This after going down a rabbit hole for years trying to find a precise controllable (and repeatable) hand primer. The 21st Century model is a good long term investment.

For slower use with assembling precision ammo, I like the K&M hand priming tool. It adjusts and gives you a good feel in seating the primers against the primer pocket bottom. It works well and is a bit less $ than the 21st Century or the Sinclair.

For higher volume, I use the Hornady hand primer. I had one for a few years that started having issues. I contacted Hornady. I sent the tool in and received a new tool at no cost. I like the way it switches quickly from large to small priming.

I've tried the RCBS and the Lee priming tools and wasn't happy with them.

RCBS Universal but here it is rubbish with .223 Rem
Could you explain a bit more as to what the issue is....the universal shell holder won't firmly hold .223?

I ask because I have one, use it for 6.5 man bun, and it was priced right and works for me.

Thanks

I had the K&M hand primer with the depth gauge, it was super slow and finicky to use. Got the Frankford Arsenal one and it's way better. And it's cheaper.

I like the look of the safety gate on the RCBS Universal but here it is rubbish with .223 Rem
The claw teeth things need to be correctly deburred and shaped. They are a metal stamped part and have a weird bend / burr to them. I have one and easily fixed.mine. shouldn't have to, but did.