• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Current bipod options available now?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
What are the better bipod options available today, not next year, not post-COVID, etc.?

I have a friend wanting a bipod for a rather generic Savage bolt action 300WM who wants to try some longer range stuff off a bipod. I don't think a $500 option is remotely in the realm of reason for him today. No, he is not running PRS or any other formal competition. If you step up from a Harris bi-pod, where do you go for a good value and better performance at a modest or moderate cost increase?

Myself, I need a bipod for my 308W bolt gun which is a 10# custom and one for my two primary autoloaders, a KAC SR-15 LPR and a SR-25 ACC. I don't know what is reasonable for $300 or $500, just that I don't want a Harris bipod. :) I don't shoot comps either, just feral hogs and aggressive, or cow chasing chicken killing, dogs. I don't know where the trade-off is in terms of cost-performance but, I don't need them today so, I can hold off and buy each slower or later in the calendar year IF there is a good reason to spend more. The autoloader bipods need be compatible with a "barricade" because I do use a pipe fence for some of my shooting amongst cattle or when I have a ~4# thermal attached.

TIA,
Sid

I have an atlas, acutac and harris
All are good. The harris is the cheaper route
Out of the 3 i like the atlas most

TBAC or Atlas if the budget allows; Magpul if money is tight. Buy one and swap it between rifles instead of buying several Harris bipods like I used to do.

The problem with the Harris is that they are often not symmetrical, and if you happen to get one that is grossly out-of-wack, you can chase perceived issues with your shooting form that are actually being caused by the support. This is unnecessarily frustrating.

So , in all likelihood you will get a ton of recommendations for the Atlas CAL which is probably the right answer for that caliber. I will tell you however that I got a Magpul on a La Rue QD pic mount because I liked the clean profile. Assuming you pre-load it, it works as it should. Flip the base to lock out the pan. I will concede that the 45 deg. leg option on the Atlas would be nice though. YMMV.

Last edited:
So , in all likelihood you will get a ton of recommendations for the Atlas CAL which is probably the right answer for that caliber. I will tell you however that I got a Magpul on a La Rue QD pic mount because I liked the clean profile. Assuming you pre-load it, it works as it should. Flip the base to lock out the pan. I will concede that the 45 deg. leg option on the Atlas would be nice though. YMMV.

I've got a Magpul with the ADM quick release clamp. It's a $180 setup; throw in another $120 and it'll buy an Atlas CAL with the QR clamp which is a better value IMO.