• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Current market Factory ammo caliber for Comps choice

Estes640

Sergeant of the Hide
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Bellevue, KY
Looking to shoot some matches next year after a hiatus from shooting in general. Putting together another bolt rifle and debating between going with either 308 or 6mm ARC.

Based on the current ammo market I can consistently find both of those types of ammo available and for decent prices. On the outside chance I can find some 6.5 creed I have that option as well. Anyone in my similar shoes go through something similar? What do y’all suggest?

P.s. I don’t plan to be in the top 10, just mid pack and going out to have some fun. I don’t reload, nor will I start with all the shortages and frankly not having enough time

6 ARC is extremely capable in a 26" barrel bolt gun. It will do laps around a 308 in pretty much every facet except energy on target. I hope the cartridge takes off and factory ammo comes down. When it was first released I think I remember seeing some 105bthp black ammo for like $18/20. That would make reloading a tough pill to swallow.

I could always find 6CM on the shelf so I had a barrel spun up for a no-reloading-factory-ammo-only option. It’s been wonderful. I‘d avoid .308 as it disappears immediately during political unrest, etc. Also, if your matches go much beyond 800 yards, I’d lean heavily toward a 6mm option. Good shooters shoot all calibers well but you‘ll notice that “open” class isn’t usually (ever?) won by a .308.

6.5 x 47 Lapua is another option that is pretty popular for comps, and I always see ammo available for it.

3 weeks ago I found and immediately bought 6mm ARC 108 ELD for $290 - 10 boxes of 20 with free shipping.

6 ARC is extremely capable in a 26" barrel bolt gun. It will do laps around a 308 in pretty much every facet except energy on target. I hope the cartridge takes off and factory ammo comes down. When it was first released I think I remember seeing some 105bthp black ammo for like $18/20. That would make reloading a tough pill to swallow.
Calculations show a 26-inch barrel bolt gun delivering from 2860 to 2900 FPS for factory 108 ELDs.

Yeah I entertained 6.5x47 for a half second then realized it’s still pretty scarce even when it’s in stock.

Looks like my two viable options are either 6 Arc or 6 creedmoor. May just go 6 arc for the extra barrel life. We will see.

My only issue with 6 creed is how much you have to tune it. Atleast that’s been my experience with 6 creed. Maybe I just didn’t do it right, but I was tuning or adjusting something atleast every 300rds.