• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Current production Winchester m70?

MTS308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Lake butler fl
Anyone have any experience with the current production Winchester model 70? I am looking to buy a 300 win mag and really like the look and features of the Alaskan model. Any input as far as reliability and accuracy is appreciated. Thanks

I don’t have one but a shooting buddy does and the accuracy of his isn’t anything to write home about but it’s definitely acceptable. Damn good rifles though. However If I was wanting a model 70 I’d get a pre 64 with a Lyman sight but that’s just the purest in me.

I don’t have one but a shooting buddy does and the accuracy of his isn’t anything to write home about but it’s definitely acceptable. Damn good rifles though. However If I was wanting a model 70 I’d get a pre 64 with a Lyman sight but that’s just the purest in me.

My understanding was that between 64 and 2004 the manufacturing changed and then went back to the old way in 2004. I'm no expert on the matter though. But I always thought the new ones were good to go.

But out of compulsion I'll just recommend a origin build anyway!

I think the new ones are good. Winchester has a history of ups and downs while dealing with QC issues.

I think they went back to the "Classic" in the early 90's.

My understanding was that between 64 and 2004 the manufacturing changed and then went back to the old way in 2004. I'm no expert on the matter though. But I always thought the new ones were good to go.

But out of compulsion I'll just recommend a origin build anyway!
Yeah the new 70s are a lot like the pre 64s but nowhere close to the quality and cost about the same. The old ones were built like tanks. However I prefer the Remington design. Better accuracy and availability of aftermarket parts.
I just read a post from a hide member with problems with his origin. His scope rail holes were misaligned and his $600 prefit shouldered barrel had a head space issues.
Atlus shooting solutions is nearby and has both origin and tenacity actions. The origin is a few bucks more but is made from chromemoly not stainless. I thought about getting an origin because it’s already coated. However, I didn’t wanna chance having similar issues and prefer stainless over CM so I’m picking up a Tenacity tomorrow and I might have it nitrite coated.

Reactions: WeiserBucks
I have a newer production M70 Feather weight and it's a 1" gun. Not bad for a 300wsm. Its smooth and has never missed a beat. Wood is good, fit and finish are nicer than any BDL I've ever had and rival my Sako 75. Not as many parts available as for a R700 but more than enough. Unless you want a chassis... Then your screwed...

I bought a win70 super grade maple stock 270 last year. It’s pretty dang nice, CRF, the stock and blueing are beautiful. However I’ve only sighted it in and that’s about as far as I’ve gotten with it. Rifle seems well built.

They are very nice, great fit and finish and shoot great. I think you would love it

Yeah the new 70s are a lot like the pre 64s but nowhere close to the quality and cost about the same. The old ones were built like tanks. However I prefer the Remington design. Better accuracy and availability of aftermarket parts.
I just read a post from a hide member with problems with his origin. His scope rail holes were misaligned and his $600 prefit shouldered barrel had a head space issues.
Atlus shooting solutions is nearby and has both origin and tenacity actions. The origin is a few bucks more but is made from chromemoly not stainless. I thought about getting an origin because it’s already coated. However, I didn’t wanna chance having similar issues and prefer stainless over CM so I’m picking up a Tenacity tomorrow and I might

Keep reading dumbass