• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Current state of MOA and MIL

joelinux

hed weezul
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019
So, I've ordered my RPR 6.5.

Next paycheck is the NF ATACR F1 7-35x56 MILXT

Now comes the next great question: MILs vs MOA.

I've heard some great back and forth on here.

From what I can ascertain, MOA used to be king of the hill, but the new crop is coming in with a lot more MIL these days, as well as most military folks.

As someone who has to learn all this from scratch, would you recommend MOAs or MILs?

This topic has previously been covered ad nauseam.

Cliff notes: First, use the search function. Second, both will get the job done, but the vast, VAST majority of us are using MIL. MOA has a few folks holding on in the practical rifle world, but for the most part it's used by benchrest and F-class guys. If you plan to shoot in practical rifle matches, MIL is the way of the future.

Cliff notes: First, use the search function. Second, both will get the job done, but the vast, VAST majority of us are using MIL. MOA has a few folks holding on in the practical rifle world, but for the most part it's used by benchrest and F-class guys. If you plan to shoot in practical rifle matches, MIL is the way of the future.
And thaaaaat is what I was looking for. Thank you!

Reactions: Basher
It's not rocket science... It's just two different units for measuring angles. You should be able to use both no problem. Can read both sides of a measuring tape? Here are the first 3 hits from Google... Enjoy

Mil is easier to be faster. Moa can be slightly more precise but one out of a million can see or use it. Mil is just decimal points and when using ffp is the clear choice. So many people allow their minds to limit what is better. It's best to just look at it as an equation. What equation is faster and what's more precise?

Reactions: Bender
I seriously think that one of the reasons the Canadian snipers are some of the best is because this isn't even an issue. It's always been mil and it comes second nature.

Meaning the divisions are always by the tenth. Yes I was born in Canada...

Reactions: Jackomason
Get the hell outta here with this bush league troll bait

672ACC2A-8472-4336-984A-4C8D95100FA6.gif

I’m getting the popcorn.

Also get a scope that moves 10 mil per click to really get dialed in.

So, I've ordered my RPR 6.5.

Next paycheck is the NF ATACR F1 7-35x56 MILXT

Now comes the next great question: MILs vs MOA.

I've heard some great back and forth on here.

From what I can ascertain, MOA used to be king of the hill, but the new crop is coming in with a lot more MIL these days, as well as most military folks.

As someone who has to learn all this from scratch, would you recommend MOAs or MILs?

Just get the mil and be done with it. No need for a long discussion.

Enabler!

• Haha
Reactions: Basher
I just took a course that drove this home for me....with what most of us do it doesn't matter! They are just numbers we use on a ballistic computer. If you are ranging with them, or using them to calculate target size you are simply smarter than me. (Not a put down, really, I can never remember those formulas.) So if your really just looking at a number and dialing it, does it matter if it's 6.6 or 14.5? Not to me....and I've used both extensively.

OP not your fault: (ahem doesnt really matter...buy mil)

We should have the mods start restricting questions after a post like Huskydriver

he linked several other threads that have the same information

not saying close those linked threads down, let them go on forever

but stopping new ones from popping up like weeds

would prob make the search function work better as well

I think it's either way, whichever is easier for you.

Someone on YouTube mentioned that make sure your turret clicks is the same measurement as your reticle, it would be hard to keep converting between two systems while you are shooting and try to make adjustment.

Reactions: 29aholic
I think it's either way, whichever is easier for you.

Someone on YouTube mentioned that make sure your turret clicks is the same measurement as your reticle, it would be hard to keep converting between two systems while you are shooting and try to make adjustment.
I was going to add that. Be sure (although by now it should not be an issue) that you have moa-moa or mil-mil. In the old days some companies offered scopes with mil reticles but the turrets were in moa.

So, he's settled on buying a "MILXT" reticle and wondering he wants to go MIL or MOA?

I believe the reticle choice in the scope you want kind of settled your own question......

MIL

1 mil is 10cm at 100 meters, 1m @ 1000m
1 mil is 3.6" at 100 yards, 1y @ 1000y

MOA

1 MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards, 10.47 Inches at 1000 yards

Memorize both

Do you think in inches or centimeters?
"This is important Mr. Gant. You must think in Russian." :rolleyes:

Both will work fine, and as everyone said it's easier to think in tenths. In my experience what's more important it depends on what everyone else using around you. If everyone is making wind calls in Mils and you're in MOA, then you need to be able to convert on the fly or if you're making MOA calls you're going to be very lonely because no one is going to speak to you. Probably the opposite in F-Class-land.

MIL will be better for resale.
Not to MOA or IPHY shooters.

Why does everyone think Mil is better than MOA or MOA is better than MIl? Either will do the all around task, both are highly dependent on the shooter, an regardless of what your told/hear neither will provide you a better score (If your a gamer) if you don't know how to operate it, off your home range,...