• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Current US Army rifle qual??

SuckitTrebek

The rapist for $200
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
The Great State of Texas
I'm gearing up to train my brother for bootcamp. Part of that is getting him geared up to qualify on the range. Whatever advantage I can give the boy before he heads out I will.

So the question is what is the CURRENT (as in within the last year) rifle qual for the army? round count, distances, positions, times, rules, etc.

Yes I know it's easy. yes it is gay. No it's not the Marines by any stretch of the imagination. The point is I want the kid to have every advantage and start training now.

No I don't have pop ups but I can put steel out at the different yard lines. that'll do.

As much as it sucks the kid just never had it in him to be a Marine. But I guess it's better than the air force.

Re: Current US Army rifle qual??

I know back in the early 90's you had to shoot to 300 meters with open sights. So make sure you train to that distance.

Unless things changed the last course of fire to qualify is 40 rounds at different distances from 25 or 50 meters to 300.

R.

The last actual qual range I did was before deployment and it was 50 to 300 meters pop up targets random sequence. There are some that will pop two at a time. Its 40 rounds total with 40 targets. I wanna say its two two minute stages prone supported and knelling/or unsupported. Ive learned qualing after basic is a whole lot different. Basic will be open sights whereas we use whatever optics we have on are rifle. I have heard and read that they are supposed to be changing rifle quals to a more combat related qualification.

Like said above 40 rounds from 50 to 300 meters, 20 from prone/foxhole supported, 20 from prone unsupported, 2 min each. I have seen it done with the second set split up 10 prone unsupported and 10 kneeling with 1 min each.

50-300 meters with either optics such as the M68 or Acog or with iron sights.

Work him on fundamentals.

20 Rounds supported 50-300m, 10 rounds unsupported 50-300m then 10 kneeling 50-150.

In addition to the above... I believe the 300 meter comes up three times. Twice in prone supported, and once during prone unsupported.

The biggest thing he will benefit from, which drill sergeants DON'T know how to train is a proper prone and kneeling position.
Prone- Make sure he puts the magazine on the ground, DSs usually say not to- that's because they are tools.
Kneeling- Sit down on right foot, left foot steps ACROSS the body, NOT straight toward the target. This way you can get both the magazine and the left elbow down on the left thigh, giving you one more point of contact.

This boy knows standard marksmanship better than most soldiers from competing in national competions in a MCJROTC all through high school (just like yours truly did once upon a time).

I have no doubts he's going to smoke this. But it never hurts to prepare as much as possible and to know the course of fire prior.

I've fired the course before while in the corps and I distinctly remember thinking it was a joke even with iron sights.

Thanks gents.

P.S. I'd never advise to resting the mag on the ground, it leads to malfunctions and is common bad practice. With either a loop or hasty sling this course is relatively easily shot perfect as is.

A couple of people who recommend magazine on the ground- Kyle Lamb, Larry Vickers, me...

If you are pulling rearward on the mag (ie- tipping the noses of rounds up) it won't malfunction, it will actually help the rounds feed. This is actually a secret to making blanks feed better. The only time you run a chance of failure is with a severely worn out mag and tipping the rounds down.

Bottom line- Two points of contact without the mag down, three points of contact with the mag down- mag down equals 50% more stable.

Also, it lowers your position. A lower position is a more stable position.

40 round qual isn't a joke till you can shoot it 40/40 consistently, and that's a challenge for anyone with M885 and a basic training rifle. Sure, I could smoke it with my CQBR or SPR and Mk262

A beat up M16 and M885 is a 4 MOA combo at best. That's a 12" group on a 300m target, leaving you with 4 inches or a bit more than 1 MOA on each side of your group. If you can hold your point of aim inside that 1.3 MOA buffer consistently with wind, then that's darn good shooting.

A 1 MOA wind at 300 for an M885 is 3 mph... So if wind is barely felt on your face, it's going to push that bullet off the target if it's at the extreme spread of your group. It's very hard to get wind with no optic on s qual range. Wind bottlenecks and swirls over the berms and treelines, and there is sometimes a drainage ditch or two to channel gusts.

oh well it is not the marines by any strectch so it will be easy for the lad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Etype</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of people who recommend magazine on the ground- Kyle Lamb, Larry Vickers, me...

If you are pulling rearward on the mag (ie- tipping the noses of rounds up) it won't malfunction, it will actually help the rounds feed. This is actually a secret to making blanks feed better. The only time you run a chance of failure is with a severely worn out mag and tipping the rounds down.

Bottom line- Two points of contact without the mag down, three points of contact with the mag down- mag down equals 50% more stable.

40 round qual isn't a joke till you can shoot it 40/40 consistently, and that's a challenge for anyone with M885 and a basic training rifle. Sure, I could smoke it with my CQBR or SPR and Mk262

A beat up M16 and M885 is a 4 MOA combo at best. That's a 12" group on a 300m target, leaving you with 4 inches or a bit more than 1 MOA on each side of your group. If you can hold your point of aim inside that 1.3 MOA buffer consistently with wind, then that's darn good shooting.

A 1 MOA wind at 300 for an M885 is 3 mph... So if wind is barely felt on your face, it's going to push that bullet off the target if it's at the extreme spread of your group. It's very hard to get wind with no optic on s qual range. Wind bottlenecks and swirls over the berms and treelines, and there is sometimes a drainage ditch or two to channel gusts. </div></div>

I truly don't give a rats ass if vickers, lamb and every other high speed out there recommend putting the mag on the ground. I don't recommend it. why? because it's not needed. period.

hasty sling, supported or not = more than enough support to smoke this course.

But I'll make a deal with ya'll after my brother does it I'll report back. He is supposed to enter Jan 11, 2011.

P.S. What are you probably running in basic training............ a severely worn out mag.

Wish I could show you gents how this boy shoots. I've had him working an MP5N full auto like a pro at 16.

Being that my last qual score on the marine corps range was a 56 (expert started at 40), I'd say I'm relatively qualified to teach marksmanship.

I'll report back when this is done. Thank you all for your input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I truly don't give a rats ass if vickers, lamb and every other high speed out there recommend putting the mag on the ground. I don't recommend it. why? because it's not needed. period.

But I'll make a deal with ya'll after my brother does it I'll report back. He is supposed to enter Jan 11, 2011.

P.S. What are you probably running in basic training............ a severely worn out mag.

Wish I could show you gents how this boy shoots. I've had him working an MP5N full auto like a pro at 16.

Being that my last qual score on the marine corps range was a 56 (expert started at 40), I'd say I'm relatively qualified to teach marksmanship.

I'll report back when this is done. Thank you all for your input. </div></div>

Have you even tried it? Rolling to the deck and shooting is faster than getting into a hasty sling.

Gunfights are won by the guy who gets the first solid hit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I truly don't give a rats ass if vickers, lamb and every other high speed out there recommend putting the mag on the ground. I don't recommend it. why? because it's not needed. period.

Have you even tried it? Rolling to the deck and shooting is faster than getting into a hasty sling.

Gunfights are won by the guy who gets the first solid hit. </div></div>
Very, very true! Gun fights are won by the guy who hits his target first!
Getting the first shot off doesn't mean diddly if you don't hit the target!

We get crap mags, we get what we get and we have to deal with it! So is it recommended to place the mags on the ground? Not really. I don't like the sand and crap getting in them and have had malfunction issues when I did place pressure on the mag. Plus in basic he might not have the ability to do that since a drill will probably be up his fourth point of contact while he is shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I truly don't give a rats ass if vickers, lamb and every other high speed out there recommend putting the mag on the ground. I don't recommend it. why? because it's not needed. period.

Gunfights are won by the guy who gets the first solid hit. </div></div>

I have tried it and have found that some try to use the mag as a "crutch" for lack of a better word. When in fact it is not needed.

I fully understand how to win gunfights. Once again I simply do not think it is necessary or even benefits the shooter in many cases.

This thread is also not about how to win gunfights but how best to destroy the army's weak ass rifle qual. Two different arena's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The point is I want the kid to have every advantage and start training now.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how best to destroy the army's weak ass rifle qual.</div></div>

Do it the Army's way, do it your way, or take recommendations from those in the Army system -- what do you want?

Agreed qualification isn't gunfighting. The Army's not going to teach him to be an Olympian nor a gunfighter. He only needs to shoot 23 to pass. Drill Sergeants will spend the majority of their time trying to get the bolos to pass -- not trying to ensure someone who can already smoke basic quals aces the course.

You're set on what you believe. Great. Don't ask for advice then tell us we're jacked up. Let the boy do it himself.

Seems to have worked for you.

You know, when I told my mother I wanted to join the military, she said, "That's fine honey. Just don't be a Marine." Attitudes like yours are exactly why she said that.

The Army's marksmanship program is not what it should be, but you pinged us for info and proceeded to bash our service without any observable sense of good humor.

At any rate, the biggest problem he will likely have will be seeing the targets. It varies from range to range, but the 250s and 300s are sometimes almost impossible to make out clearly. Sure, in combat the enemy will be taking cover, but in combat you aren't limited to one round per bad guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know, when I told my mother I wanted to join the military, she said, "That's fine honey. Just don't be a Marine." Attitudes like yours are exactly why she said that.

The Army's marksmanship program is not what it should be, but you pinged us for info and proceeded to bash our service without any observable sense of good humor.

At any rate, the biggest problem he will likely have will be seeing the targets. It varies from range to range, but the 250s and 300s are sometimes almost impossible to make out clearly. Sure, in combat the enemy will be taking cover, but in combat you aren't limited to one round per bad guy. </div></div>

When I told my mother I wanted to join the military there was never any doubt to where I was going. She didn't need to ask which branch. All she cared about was that if I was going to possibly fight that she wanted me surrounded by the best.

True story
grin.gif

My initial post was made with a tad bit of humor. While I know and have worked with a few damn fine soldiers they are few and far between. Just an observation.

When you want a large group of people that were put on this earth to kill things and blow shit up the Marines get called. And that fact keeps me smiling daily.

But then again I'm the same sick fuck waiting for Iran to do something stupid so I can volunteer..............again.

What is his job/MOS going to be? It matters because he will shoot with a different weapon. A MP5N is okay(not my favorite) but he won't get near one in the army unless he is "special".

You do know that Marines go through Ranger School, right?

You do know that Larry Vickers and Kyle Lamb are former Delta operators, right?

Just a reminder that WE ALL WORK TOGETHER. There are many members of the Marine Corps alumni in the Army right now.

If you ask for help with one hand then don't swing a stick with the other hand...many people on this board are armed with intelligence.

And that is the greatest weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is his job/MOS going to be? It matters because he will shoot with a different weapon. A MP5N is okay(not my favorite) but he won't get near one in the army unless he is "special".

You do know that Marines go through Ranger School, right?

You do know that Larry Vickers and Kyle Lamb are former Delta operators, right?

Just a reminder that WE ALL WORK TOGETHER. There are many members of the Marine Corps alumni in the Army right now.

If you ask for help with one hand then don't swing a stick with the other hand...many people on this board are armed with intelligence.

And that is the greatest weapon.

</div></div>

Jesus this thread has gone the wrong way. But hell I'll bite.

He'll be a 35F

Yeah I know the boy will probably never shoot an MP5 again. I mentioned that simply because I owned one and for a 16 year old to be working it like he was is not common. In other words he has talent.

Yes I know Marines go through ranger school. I had a quota myself all set up but I was not about to reenlist to get it. What does that have to do with anything here?

Yes I know who those guys are, I just don't care. I don't feel obligated to follow absolutely everything that a particular instructor teaches. In this case we are talking about usgi mags which have been know to cause malfunctions when used as a contact point. If we were talking about pmags my opinion would change, though it is something that I still do not practice or teach if at all possible. It's more of an exception than a rule so to teach someone to do that if at all ever possible is not smart in my opinion.

Sure are lots of jarheads that go to the army. Matter of fact my brothers recruiter was one of them. And a retard to boot.

If any other camouflage utility in walmart wearing nasties don't get my humor or branch rivalry suck my balls!
Especially doorkicker.

I'm not experienced enough to add or subtract anything from this very entertaining thread; however, it has made me curious, for those here who have qualified EXPERT in their service branch how has such distinction related to your NRA HP classification?

Well, this went from scientific to a pissing match real quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gearing up to train my brother for bootcamp. Part of that is getting him geared up to qualify on the range. Whatever advantage I can give the boy before he heads out I will.

So the question is what is the CURRENT (as in within the last year) rifle qual for the army? round count, distances, positions, times, rules, etc.

Yes I know it's easy. yes it is gay. No it's not the Marines by any stretch of the imagination. The point is I want the kid to have every advantage and start training now.

No I don't have pop ups but I can put steel out at the different yard lines. that'll do.

As much as it sucks the kid just never had it in him to be a Marine. But I guess it's better than the air force.

</div></div>

Let the Army train him , if you dont know you'll just screw him up . I suggest running and push ups , and walking with a loaded Ruck . Better to be in shape , Also start getting up at the same time every day EARLY , learn to sew and iron your uniform , learn how to spit shine his boots . He'll be miles ahead .

Learn the rank insignia , Learn your General Orders .

Yea all that will pale to pulling the trigger , but it is everyday crap he will deal with and make his life eayser . Shooting a rifle is a small part of Army life .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not experienced enough to add or subtract anything from this very entertaining thread; however, it has made me curious, for those here who have qualified EXPERT in their service branch how has such distinction related to your NRA HP classification?
</div></div>

Sweet, now it's a 4 way pissing contest.

By saying your not experienced enough you mean that you never served in your countries military correct? Because your obviously a gifted shooter.

So what your really asking is do the jerkoff military guys think their skills are still apllicable when relating to civilian shooting and competitions.

just trying to see if i got that right, because that's what it sounds like. haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gearing up to train my brother for bootcamp. Part of that is getting him geared up to qualify on the range. Whatever advantage I can give the boy before he heads out I will.

</div></div>

Let the Army train him , if you dont know you'll just screw him up . I suggest running and push ups , and walking with a loaded Ruck . Better to be in shape , Also start getting up at the same time every day EARLY , learn to sew and iron your uniform , learn how to spit shine his boots . He'll be miles ahead .

Yea all that will pale to pulling the trigger , but it is everyday crap he will deal with and make his life eayser . Shooting a rifle is a small part of Army life . </div></div>

Seriously bro? read the posts. This kid was in a marine corps jrotc all through high school. I think he knows how to shine his boots and iron an uniform. Most likely better than most new soldiers I might add. He certainly has had years of practice at that, lol.

And I think I fully understand what a small part of army life shooting a rifle is. That is fairly evident by the lack of training they provide.

I just wanted to know the details of the course of fire. Not anyone elses two cents on how or what subjects to train him on. I think I can handle that myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not experienced enough to add or subtract anything from this very entertaining thread; however, it has made me curious, for those here who have qualified EXPERT in their service branch how has such distinction related to your NRA HP classification?
</div></div>

Sweet, now it's a 4 way pissing contest.

By saying your not experienced enough you mean that you never served in your countries military correct? Because your obviously a gifted shooter.

So what your really asking is do the jerkoff military guys think their skills are still apllicable when relating to civilian shooting and competitions.

just trying to see if i got that right, because that's what it sounds like. haha

</div></div>

I think you're reading far too much between the lines.
But, for any here who have earned a classification in NRA governed HP competition with service rifle, did it relate to your military rating?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not experienced enough to add or subtract anything from this very entertaining thread; however, it has made me curious, for those here who have qualified EXPERT in their service branch how has such distinction related to your NRA HP classification?</div></div>

Mine was long ago with the M14, our basic training qual's were,...

1/2 of each target shot time was finding the pop up's(target detection) as your were shouldering the weapon your wheels were turning as to distance and wind. Just as the weapon touched your shoulder you had about 2-3 seconds left to kill it. There were no reduced ranges, just full size head only, to belt up. Time was dependent on distance and position you had to get into before firing. Everything other than foxhole was started from a patrol walk, in the foxhole, weapon was in the hole with you. On one phase, two 500 yd targets popped up at the same time,(weapon mag less) you had one rd per mag, per target.

Total rd count IIRC(it's been along time) was 43-45 rds, 38+ made expert, 25+ sharpshooter, 20+ marksman, 19 and below was a recycle. Back then your PT an weapons quals was the first thing your latest unit Commander looked over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not experienced enough to add or subtract anything from this very entertaining thread; however, it has made me curious, for those here who have qualified EXPERT in their service branch how has such distinction related to your NRA HP classification?</div></div>

Mine was long ago with the M14, our basic training qual's were,...

1/2 of each target shot time was finding the pop up's(target detection) as your were shouldering the weapon your wheels were turning as to distance and wind. Just as the weapon touched your shoulder you had about 2-3 seconds left to kill it. There were no reduced ranges, just full size head only, to belt up. Time was dependent on distance and position you had to get into before firing. Everything other than foxhole was started from a patrol walk, in the foxhole, weapon was in the hole with you. On one phase, two 500 yd targets popped up at the same time,(weapon mag less) you had one rd per mag, per target.

Total rd count IIRC(it's been along time) was 43-45 rds, 38+ made expert, 25+ sharpshooter, 20+ marksman, 19 and below was a recycle. Back then your PT an weapons quals was the first thing your latest unit Commander looked over.</div></div>

From what you say, it appears, the military qualification course of fire is so divergent from the HP course of fire that there is no relevance between the two.

I'd say if you took the target detection and getting into the required position out, that would give you a longer look and time too break the shot correctly. The break down in our training group (400 trainees) was (+ or - a point or two) 5% Expert 70% Sharpshooters, 25% Marksman and >1% recycle. They(Ft. Knox, trainfire)kept a running record back then of who had shot before entering service, to track the instructors. Basic qual's, was not a easy course, nor overly hard either. The much harder course came in AIT for those that shot Expert, and wanted a Primary or Secondary above 11B. Back then your primary could/would be moved based on your final Basic and ATI qual's and Army needs, at that time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIDGLOCK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

learn to sew and iron your uniform , learn how to spit shine his boots . He'll be miles ahead .</div></div>

Air Force CCT and Para Rescue are recognized as some of the most well rounded folks in the military...

And no more shining boots or ironing uniforms in the Army. Only shined boots in the Army are jump boots for Airborne Class A's.

Trebek,

Why did you ask for information Then tell the people who gave you some they were wrong? Your little brother is hell on wheels with an MP5? So what? It certainly has nothing to do with marksmanship.

Why did you tell everybody he was some great competitor after you started the post? To let us Army folks know we aren't up to your standards? I've shot and appreciate the Marines KD rifle qual. While it does extend range it doesn't help with a lot of other necessary tasks of which marksmanship is only a part of. But then again, I only went the Army basic,...and Ranger School, spent my entire time at Battalion, and SFUWO.
Even though the Army rifle qual is 40/40 It's based on a person getting in an accurate enough timed shot. {There is no 56/40 in the Army...you have one shot, one target. You miss one you don't get a max.} We also shoot moving targets, multiple targets and a number of other things that ARE helpful to someone going into combat.

I will tell you about standards. Number one is professionalism. You don't have that. I've known a lot of Marines and many have been good ones. Of the three I knew at Scuba School down in Key West, two were dirt bags and the other was a STUD. I guess you could say he made up for the other two. Good man. I like to think of other Marines following his standards.

Of all of them, berating the other service isn't considered professional. Yes, we have some shortcomings. So does everybody else. We could go on and on about that. But, I doubt you would even have a concept of the ramifications of those shortcomings. So, I'll just leave this post where it is and that is I feel you have a lot to learn in the world about professionalism.

Tell your little brother good luck in his endeavors for us.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eci6pVKDO64"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eci6pVKDO64" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Good thing your boy is just gonna be analyzing intel and not collecting it.

Prone Supported- 20 rounds
Prone Unsupported- 10
Kneeling unsupported- 10

Go ahead and get him used to zeroing procedures, doing it in the least amount of rounds possible.

Then you can teach him the basics of building a position for supported and unsupported prone and kneeling.

OR

You could just let the Drills teach him. If he follows their instruction he will get Expert.

Intel Analyst?

And you're worried about him shooting?

Push ups, sit ups, running... PT! PT!

Worry about those and he might end up in the 75th when they ask for volunteers, okay?

And they are so nucking futs it makes me smile.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Prone Unsupported- 10
Kneeling unsupported- 10
</div></div>

When did they start up 10 in the kneeling?

One good thing about intel is he could get a good paying job after he gets out.

It's been at least since 2007. The last qual I shot was in December 2007 and I shot that pattern of positions/# shots.

Shot 37 if I remember correctly. I know it was Expert and was not a clean course of fire. Can't remember specific number.

it is not hard if you just remember a few basics. Shooting expert is not indicative of group shooting or tight patterns- just bullet on target. If you can zero in 9 rounds from Battle Sight Zero/mechanical zero, you can shoot expert!

Last I heard from a friend in S2 at 5/15 CAV- the privates are being allowed to shoot "slick". In other words- no body armor. That was how I was qualified but I must say, with an M4, body armor isn't a huge deal. It's a real pain in the ass with an m16 if you aren't a big dude, which I'm not.

Best score I ever shot was in body armor.

It's not like 50-300 pop up is the hardest thing in the world. It's not the easiest either. They want hits on target- not a picture perfect NRA sponsored slung position.

Having said all that- I wish the Army would combine the best aspects of each program ( pulling from USMC and US Army programs) and extend range time by a week. I'm perfectly alright with a longer training program. 9 weeks to AIT is a little weak. OSUT should be extended from 16 to 20 weeks in my opinion with more focus on patrolling techniques, constant teaching of CLS and randomly having privates use the knowledge, etc.

There is far less culmination that I would like to see. It has improved in the past few years but I wonder. In the context of 19D OSUT, I'd like to see the Cadre take on more of an NCO role and integrate new guys into their platoons so that they have a full 2 weeks of true platoon operations.

As it is, the officers train with themselves, the Scouts train with themselves, the tankers train with themselves. Just makes more sense to time things so that they can have a culmination exercise. Let the butter bars in OBC have some fun, be a PL for two weeks. etc.

Forgive me for making sense.

Then again, I'm just a med retired SGT with no rooster in the fight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Seriously bro? read the posts. This kid was in a marine corps jrotc all through high school. I think he knows how to shine his boots and iron an uniform. Most likely better than most new soldiers I might add. He certainly has had years of practice at that, lol.

And I think I fully understand what a small part of army life shooting a rifle is. That is fairly evident by the lack of training they provide.

I just wanted to know the details of the course of fire. Not anyone elses two cents on how or what subjects to train him on. I think I can handle that myself. </div></div>

A couple things junior,
Marines won last years Int Sniper comp, but 5 out of the 6 top teams in both divisions were Army... Army won the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that... In fact, on average about 9 of the top 10 teams are usually Army. The Marines have great shooters as well, but to discount the Army- you're crazy. Granted, these are all SOTIC qualified and your brother won't be one unless he become an 11BV or 18 Series.

If he goes anywhere in the Army other than a recruiting station, he's not getting much out of JROTC- especially not as an enlisted. You don't shine boots and you don't iron uniforms in the Army, as an Intel Analyst, you don't soldier much either. Your better off getting him into a good speed typing program and pencil sharpening train up.

If you wanted the details of the course of fire and not everyone's two cents on how to shoot it, you should've exercised your right to google.

Sandwarrior pinged you on the professionalism call, that's probably why you're no longer in the military. It's generally a hard and embarrassing place for people with your attitude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eci6pVKDO64"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eci6pVKDO64" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Good thing your boy is just gonna be analyzing intel and not collecting it.

Prone Unsupported- 10
Kneeling unsupported- 10

Go ahead and get him used to zeroing procedures, doing it in the least amount of rounds possible.

Then you can teach him the basics of building a position for supported and unsupported prone and kneeling.

OR

You could just let the Drills teach him. If he follows their instruction he will get Expert.
</div></div>

Best post here, thank you. Great video to give the boy for a little familiarization. I saw a few video's on youtube but most of them sucked.

For those of you that posted something relating to the op much appreciated.

For the rest suck my balls!

I have to put trebek in the spotlight, this is great.

So trebek pm's me- if your ever in san antonio, tx. drop a line. It would entertain me to see you run your suck in person.

Oh no, I just got called out to a cross country man match!!!

It's weak, but I replied with- Don't worry, I'm too busy. I spend my time training up for and plugging even bigger oxygen thieves than you.

Superbee,
This thread has gone far beyond facts and science. This is where we're at- trebek qualified and didn't do it, and someone told him not to do, so no one is doing it. You got that? If you have any qualifications, stats, or math, don't worry- they are irrelevant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Etype</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to put trebek in the spotlight, this is great.

So trebek pm's me- if your ever in san antonio, tx. drop a line. It would entertain me to see you run your suck in person.

It's weak, but I replied with- Don't worry, I'm too busy. I spend my time training up for and plugging even bigger oxygen thieves than you.

Superbee,
This thread has gone far beyond facts and science. This is where we're at- trebek qualified and didn't do it, and someone told him not to do, so no one is doing it. You got that? If you have any qualifications, stats, or math, don't worry- they are irrelevant.</div></div>

Got the same pm.... I just deleted it.

That is pretty funny though, etype.... a "cross-country man match"
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only shined boots in the Army are jump boots for Airborne Class A's.</div></div>

Good , cause the rest of you leg's look like shit birds .

Google the DA 3595-R It is the Score Card used and will let you know what each target is, the distance and how many seconds it stays up for.

Here is also a link to it

http://armypubs.army.mil/eforms/pdf/A3595_R.PDF

If you look up FM 3-22.9 it is the BRM Manual and it will show you everything they are going to teach him and then some.

this sounds like solid advice...

[/quote]

Yea all that will pale to pulling the trigger , but it is everyday crap he will deal with and make his life eayser . Shooting a rifle is a small part of Army life . [/quote]

I agree with Lex. Make sure he shows up in shape. That will help more than anything. Everything he needs to know will be taught to him by the people who will be grading him. Remember this, Cooperate = Graduate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Etype</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple of people who recommend magazine on the ground- Kyle Lamb, Larry Vickers, me...

A 1 MOA wind at 300 for an M885 is 3 mph... So if wind is barely felt on your face, it's going to push that bullet off the target if it's at the extreme spread of your group. It's very hard to get wind with no optic on s qual range. Wind bottlenecks and swirls over the berms and treelines, and there is sometimes a drainage ditch or two to channel gusts. </div></div>

I truly don't give a rats ass if vickers, lamb and every other high speed out there recommend putting the mag on the ground. I don't recommend it. why? because it's not needed. period.

Hasty sling is currently advised against strongly. Since these are non-floating firearms we're talking about here, you're shifting the POI since you're inducing stress on the barrel.

It is also not recommended to rest your barrel on sandbags as have been done in the past (and likely is still advised in basic- but BRM itself hasn't changed in 20+ years). All of the SDM schools encourage using the magazine to rest the weapon on, not contacting the barrel, and not using a sling unless the weapon is free-floated (which if you have one of the purpose built SDM guns, they are- but these are in VERY limited service).

Current service standard is qualifying at least twice a year, usually once with optic and once with iron (assuming you're not a full on POG and you actually have optics). Will the above ill-advised practices have much affect on impact at 300 and less? Maybe, Maybe not. But I'll go with what the AMU and NGMTC are currently teaching as well as practices taught in sniper school.

EDIT: Some other members did bring up good points about allowing the DS's to train him. Fact of the matter is, they will want him to shoot how they train. If he shoots anything different he'll draw their unneeded attention. If you decide to depart any knowledge upon him, you would do him well to tell him very explicitly to do exactly as they instruct while he is in basic training.

just curious. when was the last time the Marine Corps Pistol OR Rifle team beat the Army's Teams at Camp Perry? not in recent memory thats for sure!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Etype</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Are you joking here? I can't tell...

"run your suck" doesn't refer to "running"... think of it this way- your "suck" is slang for what you use to suck a c0ck. There for he's saying run your mouth.

Unless you knew that and were making some sort of joke I didn't get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just curious. when was the last time the Marine Corps Pistol OR Rifle team beat the Army's Teams at Camp Perry? not in recent memory thats for sure! </div></div>

EDIT- Sorry, thought you were saying that the other way around! All is good!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Etype</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Are you joking here? I can't tell...

"run your suck" doesn't refer to "running"... think of it this way- your "suck" is slang for what you use to suck a c0ck. There for he's saying run your mouth.

Unless you knew that and were making some sort of joke I didn't get. </div></div>

Yeah, I'm familiar with the phrase. Cross country was refering to the fact that I'm on the east coast and he's in Texas.

SS, it appears your question isnt being answered so I'll answer it from my experance.

I was involved in HP long prior to taking over the AK NG's marksmanship unit. As team leader, then company commander I enchourage my people to shoot high power, After becoming a company commander I could fund their shooting. I have never seen a soldier who was involved in High Power Shooting fail to fire expert on the AQC.

As someone mentioned, the marines lag behind the army at Perry and the All Service matches. I don't know who all remembers but in the 80s it was the All Guard team who lead the pack. That changed in the 90s when the guard stopped shooting "composit" meaning they went to "combat style" competitions. Since they haven't been able to compete with the Army's Teams.

Seems people tend to forget history, qulification scores went sky high after Gen Pershing started having the SAFS type traing giving to jr officers at the infantry school. That stopped and scores have gone south.