• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Action versus Surgeon /700 Rem actions in a Manners Stock

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I'm not familiar with the differences between the three.

I am looking at purchasing a used Manner's stock with mini-chassis that had the recoil lug area bedded for a Curtis action. I would be using it for a Surgeon or 700 Remington short action.

Would this be a drop in and torque to the correct specs, or would the bedding material need to be removed and redone for my use.

Personally, I consider all bedding to be a "one of." It would be interchangeable if the actions were made to the same geometry/spec and came off the line as mirror images of one another. That said, I don't think that's the world we live in. If I'm going to swap a new/different action into a stock that's been bedded, that bedding is getting hogged out and new bedding is going in. Depending on the Curtis action in question, the recoil lug isn't even the same thickness (could be .300 or .250 versus .250 on the Surgeon 591 versus something like .188 on the factory 700).

Reactions: DIBBS