• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Custom 22lr conversion

DisplacedTexan

Ornery Tech Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2014
    Sedalia, MO
    20200107_125224.jpg

This is what I have been waiting for.

60° throw is king and I couldn't care less about bolt head conversions, so this has me more than interested.

Last edited:
    (y)

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these.

I have a axiom with switch lug this will be perfect for.

Interested to hear how this works. Conversions never seem to work as well as dedicated systems.

I wouldn't pick up a Curtis to run a conversion, but if you already have a Curtis then I guess this may be a decent option.

Reactions: RTH1800 and dwt
    Do people really want to swap barrels and the bolt and re-zero to shoot a 22LR trainer? I thought the whole point was to shoot the 22 while your centerfire match rifle cooled off, or grab the 22 for a dedicated 22 match where you have the optimal scope base installed to maximize the mechanical travel of the scope?

If you don’t already have a Curtis action, I’m not sure the draw is there even though I do really want a 60deg 22LR. $1400 for a Vector plus $475 conversion plus $? for a 22LR prefit barrel adds up to an expensive build if you want a dedicated 22.

It is a cool idea, but I think the market would be MUCH larger if someone made this same conversion for a bone stock R700 action. Maybe I’m underestimating the number of Curtis actions out there?

Do people really want to swap barrels and the bolt and re-zero to shoot a 22LR trainer? I thought the whole point was to shoot the 22 while your centerfire match rifle cooled off, or grab the 22 for a dedicated 22 match where you have the optimal scope base installed to maximize the mechanical travel of the scope?

If you don’t already have a Curtis action, I’m not sure the draw is there even though I do really want a 60deg 22LR. $1400 for a Vector plus $475 conversion plus $? for a 22LR prefit barrel adds up to an expensive build if you want a dedicated 22.

It is a cool idea, but I think the market would be MUCH larger if someone made this same conversion for a bone stock R700 action. Maybe I’m underestimating the number of Curtis actions out there?
    Doesn't have to be a Vector, it can be an axiom. I'll buy an axiom since it will likely be the same price as the RimX.

They'll be taking preorders after SHOT and I'm hoping/expecting that a dedicated 22 version will be an option, not just the conversion kit.

Well said. I agree 100%.

I'd much rather take something like a RimX and build a dedicated .22.

It's always good to have options, and I hope more custom action makers get in the .22 market. Hopefully this offering of theirs is higher quality then their current line up.

Reactions: Schütze and dwt

I certainly agree that an R700 conversion would have a market (if the price is right), but I guess I don't see how this conversion makes any less or any more sense than the AXMC, Desert Tech or any of the other switch barrel&bolt options?

I certainly agree that an R700 conversion would have a market (if the price is right), but I guess I don't see how this conversion makes any less or any more sense than the AXMC, Desert Tech or any of the other switch barrel&bolt options?
    I see what you’re saying, but I guess I view that as an apples to oranges comparison. An AXMC or a DT is $6k+ for one caliber, so having a switch barrel (switch caliber) makes sense because it saves a ton of money. Not even including optics, accessories, etc., you’d be saving a ton by buying an extra bolt and barrel.

A Vudoo barreled action is what, $1800? And a Curtis conversion with barrel will be something like $1000? I think the biggest savings will be on not needing an additional trigger, stock, and optic.

Maybe it’s because I tend to keep one barrel installed all season on my AI, and view switching barrels and re-zeroing as more of a pain than most people do. And that I want to shoot 50 rounds through a 22LR trainer while my match rifle cools down, I don’t want to have to juggle swapping everything over and trying to have my one match rifle do literally EVERYTHING. With myself personally only having one AI, I find I shoot LESS because I don’t like swapping barrels back and forth during my limited range time. I see why guys have 2-3 match+trainer rifles on rotation, it just make it easier to get rounds downrange headache free.

Reactions: kthomas
    Most people with "switch barrel" setups end up finding it much more convenient to own multiple rifles in dedicated to cartridges rather then swap barrels and bolts around. The novelty of a "switch barrel" system wears off pretty quickly.

I can't say I know one person with a "switch barrel" rifle that owns just one precision rifle. They all own multiple rifles in dedicated cartridges.

Most people with "switch barrel" setups end up finding it much more convenient to own multiple rifles in dedicated to cartridges rather then swap barrels and bolts around. The novelty of a "switch barrel" system wears off pretty quickly.

I can't say I know one person with a "switch barrel" rifle that owns just one precision rifle. They all own multiple rifles in dedicated cartridges.
    Agreed. The best part of the AI QuickLoc barrel change system is easily switching barrels when they’re shot out. Oh, and a barrel retention system that actually puts tension on the tenon and holds the barrel in place, rather than a tiny set screw that does nothing to load the tenon.

I thought I would end up swapping from 308 to my match caliber every range session on my AI...did it once or twice and said F it. Taking off a hot barrel, putting on a new one, re-zeroing, shooting, then doing it all again and having to re-zero perfectly for the next match just turned out to be a hassle.

... I don’t like swapping barrels back and forth during my limited range time. I see why guys have 2-3 match+trainer rifles on rotation, it just make it easier to get rounds downrange headache free.

Completely agree with this part. Having duplicate rifles is the way to go. All switch barrels are a pain to some extent. That's why I actually view this not as switch barrel, but rather as a 3 lug 22lr rifle option.

$1800 Vudoo vs $1000+475+barrel Curtis vs $1100+barrel Rimx vs $1500+1500 SSG300/22lr conversion vs $2500 54:18MSR vs $1300+barrel 2500xr. Each has their own features that are desireable, but I don't know that any win on price by enough to matter once you factor in stock costs.

Yet it's still nice to finally have several target quality 22LR repeater options so you can choose the one that fits your needs/preferences for a change.

I agree with y’all about switching barrels. This is what I posted in the CF thread ab this conversion:

“Very interesting, excellent outside the box thinking. I am interested to see what kind of market it generates though. I am sure it will be very high at first and then I can see it dropping off. I say this from having owned a precision rifle that was easily convertible from CF to RF I found myself never actually using the conversion because I would want to take both CF and RF to the range when I go. Its much like a CF set up as a switch barrel, you have both calibers, ammo for both, and data including zero POI shift for both but how often do you actually go between the two? If you do switch often how long do you do it before you end up just buying another rifle and scope in that other caliber? Maybe it’s just me...

This is not to dump on the idea, as I think it is a fantastic idea and applaud Curtis for doing it and best of all the way it sounds they worked with VGW to use their magazines as opposed to ripping off their idea. So well done Curtis, I look forward to seeing more of this action!

Does these Curtis actions have a mechanical ejector? If not I wonder how the ejection is handled with this conversion?“

Yeah I don’t know why everyone is not liking this because it’s a “conversion” and somehow that makes it inferior. You have the option to run it as a conversion, but no one is going to stop you from buying a 1000-1100 axiom with a 22 bolt in it to run dedicated if that’s your desire. For the guy that doesn’t mind the 15 minutes of effort to save $1000-$4000 depending on your taste in another chassis, trigger, mount and optic there is a cheaper route of buying a bolt and a barrel. Everyone wins.

I think it's smart of them to offer both. Conversions never seem to work as well in practice as they do in theory. Purpose built dedicated systems always seem to perform the best, over retrofitted systems. Maybe the Curtis .22 bucks this trend, I hope so for the people interested in it.

I also like that they worked with Vudoo on the mags, they seem to be the standard as of now for .22 AICS pattern mags.

Reactions: PFG
    When and where can I buy the conversion for my mpa SL matrix?

Agreed. The best part of the AI QuickLoc barrel change system is easily switching barrels when they’re shot out. Oh, and a barrel retention system that actually puts tension on the tenon and holds the barrel in place, rather than a tiny set screw that does nothing to load the tenon.

I thought I would end up swapping from 308 to my match caliber every range session on my AI...did it once or twice and said F it. Taking off a hot barrel, putting on a new one, re-zeroing, shooting, then doing it all again and having to re-zero perfectly for the next match just turned out to be a hassle.

Digging up an old thread here I know.

My dream rifle setup would be an AI AT with barrels/bolts in 223, 6CM and 7Saum.
    I'd run the 223 as a trainer and for 223 matches, 6CM purely for matches and maybe a little bit of training, and the 7Saum for playing at ELR.

The rifle would probably spend 80% of the time as a 223, 10% as 6CM (other than for matches which 99% would be 6CM) and 10% (probably less to be honest) as a Saum.

I virtually never shoot past 1100m so building a dedicated magnum rifle isn't really an option for me, but being able to just change out barrel and bolt it would be worth it.

I would happily do 90+% of my training with 223, I currently have a 223 set up that is similar to my match rifle but it's hard to justify dumping too much money into an expensive chassis and scope to completely mirror my main rifle.

There is a local 2.5 day match where they shoot an ELR shoot on a Friday, a normal match on Saturday and a 223 only class on the Sunday. It'd be cool having a single rifle that I could do all 3 days.

When it comes to 22lr I'm a little dubious whether it would be worth having a conversion or not.
    Whilst I'm happy doing majority of my centrefire training with a 223, It probably would be annoying having to switch everything over to shoot 22lr.

I currently shoot considerably more 22lr than I do centrefire so in theory I should be happy with the idea. Admittedly due to my current shooting range setup I tend to only shoot one rifle per visit but I can't help but think it'd be a little annoying not having the option to (easily) shoot CF and RF in a single range trip.

There would still be a decent cost saving in chassis and scope vs Vudoo build but I don't see as compelling an argument with a 22lr conversion.

My dream rifle setup would be an AI AT with barrels/bolts in 223, 6CM and 7Saum.
    I'd run the 223 as a trainer and for 223 matches, 6CM purely for matches and maybe a little bit of training, and the 7Saum for playing at ELR.

The rifle would probably spend 80% of the time as a 223, 10% as 6CM (other than for matches which 99% would be 6CM) and 10% (probably less to be honest) as a Saum.

I virtually never shoot past 1100m so building a dedicated magnum rifle isn't really an option for me, but being able to just change out barrel and bolt it would be worth it.

I would happily do 90+% of my training with 223, I currently have a 223 set up that is similar to my match rifle but it's hard to justify dumping too much money into an expensive chassis and scope to completely mirror my main rifle.

There is a local 2.5 day match where they shoot an ELR shoot on a Friday, a normal match on Saturday and a 223 only class on the Sunday. It'd be cool having a single rifle that I could do all 3 days.

When it comes to 22lr I'm a little dubious whether it would be worth having a conversion or not.
    Whilst I'm happy doing majority of my centrefire training with a 223, It probably would be annoying having to switch everything over to shoot 22lr.

I currently shoot considerably more 22lr than I do centrefire so in theory I should be happy with the idea. Admittedly due to my current shooting range setup I tend to only shoot one rifle per visit but I can't help but think it'd be a little annoying not having the option to (easily) shoot CF and RF in a single range trip.

There would still be a decent cost saving in chassis and scope vs Vudoo build but I don't see as compelling an argument with a 22lr conversion.

Stick with a dedicated .22lr, rather than a conversion.

It should be a clue that not even the shooters sponsored by Curtis use the conversion - they all have Vudoos or Rim-X's.

Reactions: Lunchbox27

What is funny is that I actually had that combo exactly. It was neat and all but I ended up wanting a new rifle, and it was a paint to rezero in between barrel swaps.

Has anyone been able to get their hands on one yet and give it a good review?

Has anyone been able to get their hands on one yet and give it a good review?
    I was talking with phil at MPA and he said they're running pretty great. The vudoo mags are touchy on mag height but no extraction or Ejection issues

I talked to Chase Curtis at the expo , nice guy , looked at the actions and the conversion , slipped the 22 bolt into a couple actions that it is designed to work in , while talking he mentioned it took awhile to get it right but didn’t want teething problems in customers hands . One chassis company is using the 22 for their offering ,,,,,,, masterpiece maybe ? I shot that rifle , no issues , full size , but I didn’t send enough rounds or spend enough time with it for a review ,
    Since we are taking a full size short action made for center fire the 22 conversion will have the large centerfire bottom opening , I asked about making a rimfire specific action and iirc he said they haven’t seen a need to as accuracy and function had not been affected by it ,also it might make a lighter rifle if that is what one wants

Reactions: xocyrusx
    I talked to Chase Curtis at the expo , nice guy , looked at the actions and the conversion , slipped the 22 bolt into a couple actions that it is designed to work in , while talking he mentioned it took awhile to get it right but didn’t want teething problems in customers hands . One chassis company is using the 22 for their offering ,,,,,,, masterpiece maybe ? I shot that rifle , no issues , full size , but I didn’t send enough rounds or spend enough time with it for a review ,
    Since we are taking a full size short action made for center fire the 22 conversion will have the large centerfire bottom opening , I asked about making a rimfire specific action and iirc he said they haven’t seen a need to as accuracy and function had not been affected by it ,also it might make a lighter rifle if that is what one wants
    Thank you for the response. My plan this year is to cut back my rimfire and do more CF so looking to combine rifles could be a big win $$$$ for me.

1672502578641.jpeg

Attachments

• C1F15443-81AA-4F57-BD4F-5E82C5BFAA6B.jpeg
      C1F15443-81AA-4F57-BD4F-5E82C5BFAA6B.jpeg
      284.1 KB · Views: 57
    • 54F0EC10-FF99-45F7-96B1-F34CCAEBCE47.jpeg
      54F0EC10-FF99-45F7-96B1-F34CCAEBCE47.jpeg
      319.4 KB · Views: 68
    • DC551A81-DB0F-43C5-852E-62714A40D309.jpeg
      DC551A81-DB0F-43C5-852E-62714A40D309.jpeg
      372.2 KB · Views: 49
    • CA07498F-1C8C-4301-AA4D-CCEDE84D1947.jpeg
      CA07498F-1C8C-4301-AA4D-CCEDE84D1947.jpeg
      330.5 KB · Views: 54
    • 9C0BB2F9-68EF-475F-8977-34AD6BD05323.jpeg
      9C0BB2F9-68EF-475F-8977-34AD6BD05323.jpeg
      335.7 KB · Views: 53
    • 9A67F7EB-80F4-40D7-8A73-BF434BF945D8.jpeg
      9A67F7EB-80F4-40D7-8A73-BF434BF945D8.jpeg
      314.5 KB · Views: 57
    • 4E8BBE78-004A-4020-858B-09274AE27293.jpeg
      4E8BBE78-004A-4020-858B-09274AE27293.jpeg
      336.2 KB · Views: 61
    • F41A037F-EB1F-410A-A718-BEA90AEF5497.jpeg
      F41A037F-EB1F-410A-A718-BEA90AEF5497.jpeg
      278.1 KB · Views: 63
    • B8C3902A-3259-4E94-A649-3F0873BE8E28.jpeg
      B8C3902A-3259-4E94-A649-3F0873BE8E28.jpeg
      346.3 KB · Views: 60
    • 8514E2FD-37F1-428A-BB0F-02C0F1261AD2.jpeg
      8514E2FD-37F1-428A-BB0F-02C0F1261AD2.jpeg
      266.4 KB · Views: 61
    • 007311BA-4CED-4CD6-83E7-93A983F6610B.jpeg
      007311BA-4CED-4CD6-83E7-93A983F6610B.jpeg
      339.4 KB · Views: 59
    • 20193347-F246-46A6-8F26-732CDD08806A.jpeg
      20193347-F246-46A6-8F26-732CDD08806A.jpeg
      358.5 KB · Views: 57
    Interesting, how does the mag adapter attach to the action? What is it like to cycle the bolt (same length as a short action centerfire or is it shortened for the rimfire length)? How tight is the bolt in the action, is it sloppy or does it seem like it may bind? What is the extractor configuration, pusher on the left and a puller on the right, or something else?

thank you for posting

Reactions: CBeck
    The mag adapter fits into the centerfire opening and is held in by magnets

2 1/8 open to cam close

Snug but a slight wiggle , with the guides on the bolt body and bolt head ingaging the three lug recessed it can’t flop around

From behind , the left extractor ( inside ) is lighter spring tension , the right ( outside ) is way stiffer

The ejector is part of the floor plate mag guide

Reactions: jbell
    I shot one at the long range expo , I don’t have much time behind a 60* throw , they seem ,,,,,, tighter ,,,,, well you know your doing the same amount of work in 60* vs 90*
    I imagine when you in the moment it won’t matter much

Jbell , if want any other specific pictures just let me know
    Proof is using vudoo actions for their custom builds
    Masterpiece arms ( chassis maker ?) is using Curtis customs 22 kit for their custom builds

Reactions: jbell
    How does it lock?
    Is it just the bolt handle?
    Thanks

There is a small lug that rotates from the side down to the bottom when you lock the handle down , you can see that lug when the center fire mag filler is removed

I picked one of these conversions up on Black Friday. I had an Axiom that I've owned for some time that was sitting in my safe while I pondered what I wanted to do with it. So the 22 conversion seemed like a good fit.

I have a Bartlein barrel for it, I'm just waiting for a custom reamer to show up from Manson. Im going with Kevin Nevius' reamer design. My gunsmith and I have talked it over and he's seen the barrel tenon print from the Curtis website. I'm probably looking at the end of February before I go live with mine.

Reactions: Adam B
    Any updates from owners on the Curtis? Seems to be very little out there in terms of reviews and range reports.

I have a couple hundred rounds through mine so far. It's still a little finicky. I'm not wild about the Vudoo mag, I feel like it is inducing some feeding issues. Specifically a 3 point jam. I briefly tinkered with some L3i mags that I have, I'm going to revisit those and see if I can get them running better.

I'm also having some extraction issues. It would extract reliably all cheap ammo I played with such as CCI Target and Aguila Target. But wouldn't extract SK Long Range Match or Lapua Center X at all. I spoke with Chase regarding the extraction issue and he sent me a new extractor that is much better, but still not 100%. I get a FTE about every 30 or 40 rounds. The nice ammo and match ammo mic out to the same dimensions. The only difference I can see is the Lapua product seems to be softer brass. The firing pin on this action is excellent, it hits quite hard, which is important in Rimfire. But its a possible theory for Lapua brass sticking in the chamber as it seems to cause more rim deformation.

I'm not discouraged by any of this. Chase has been fantastic at communicating and helping me work through the issues. This is a brand new build from the ground up, so I expected some issues getting it running. Lord knows I've seen a multitude of the RimX/Vudoo/Bergara crowd struggling with these very issues.

The build itself so far is quite promising. I have a Triggertech Diamond on the Axiom action, and used a Nevius chamber in a 24" Bartlien barrel, 11 degree target crown, unthreaded muzzle. Dropped it in a brand new XLR Envy Pro and topped it with a new XTR Pro 5.5-30. I shot a .8 moa 10 shot group at 100 yards yesterday.

I'll keep working through it and periodically update.

Reactions: richthe1
    Thanks, I was hoping some of those issues would be ironed out already but I will wait and hope they sort them out.