• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Custom Actions (Vector)

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
Has anyone had experience with the Curtis Custom actions? I see them everywhere now. However, I have never asked what people thought of them.

I am drawn to the Vector over a defiance or mausingfield because of the barrel retention/swap option. The design is painfully simple and seems to be gaining traction (Dave Preston is shooting one now). Shooting a caliber like 6mm Creed, it would be nice to swap barrels without a bunch of tools.

It seems to have all of the features you would want in an action too (control feed, short bolt throw, etc.)

Thoughts? Would you pick over a Definace?

I run the Axiom (not the Vector) with the West Texas Ordnance Switch lug system. I'm completely happy. Works exactly as it's supposed to work. As long as you correctly index the barrel the change of POI on the new zero is 100% predictable.

As a minor correction I don't think the Vector is CRF. Not that a lack of CRF would be a deciding factor but just so you know.

I've had an Axiom since late last year and love it. Smooth as hell DLC coating and love that 60 degree throw. Not sure there are many Vectors out in the wild yet...aside from testing.

For features, Vector adds AW mag cut and the quick change barrel function. Neither action are CRF, as stated above.

Reactions: Fig
I've had an Axiom since late last year and love it. Smooth as hell DLC coating and love that 60 degree throw. Not sure there are many Vectors out in the wild yet...aside from testing.

For features, Vector adds AW mag cut and the quick change barrel function. Neither action are CRF, as stated above.

My bad about the contorl feed above. You are all correct.

Do you think control feed is better for 6mm? I have seen that push feed 6mm can have issues.

Feed style doesn't come into play with the bullet diameter, but the case dimension. I'm running a 6XC in my Axiom and it feeds just fine. You are probably thinking of 6BR/Dasher variants, because of the shorter case.

It's a quick change system and it works well. Dave P. won with it last weekend with the barrel hand tight and set screws locking it down. It's not meant to be a return to zero system and they have not pushed it as such. If you don't mind checking/adjusting your zero when you do a barrel swap (something most do anyway) its a simple and effective system. Keep in mind, you don't have to use the QC feature on the Vector, you can torque it as you would with any other action. I might be wrong, but I think its the first 3 lug action with integral rail and lug? The ability to have one stock/scope combo and the ability to quickly change calibers, zero your scope and shoot a match is appealing. No need to have 2-3 high end optics/chassis/action combos would really makes it nice on the wallet for a guy. I've been running the Axiom since launch and its slick. I'll have a Vector soon and have 3 blanks waiting...6BRA/6x47/6.5x47.

I assume you have to retime your muzzle break each time you switch?
No. I talked to Curtis. When you snug the barrel hand tight, it will index in the same place. No need to retime your brake. Now, if you are talking about moving your brake around to different barrels, then most likely yes, but if the brake stays with the barrel, no, you will not need to retime.

Seems pretty bad ass. I'd probably use it more for a barrel burner so that I could swap it without a smith, but the idea of having a multi-caliber setup is pretty appealing. I guess I'm just not sure what calibers would warrant wanting to change calibers when you're a bit limited by the same action length.

Reactions: Cold_Bore_88
That was exactly my thinking. I can’t speak to the Vector, but the Axiom with the WTO Switch Lug does not have a set screw into the tennnons. The locking ring is more like a Hornady, split lock-ring with all the tension tortionally.

It's a quick change system and it works well. Dave P. won with it last weekend with the barrel hand tight and set screws locking it down. It's not meant to be a return to zero system and they have not pushed it as such. If you don't mind checking/adjusting your zero when you do a barrel swap (something most do anyway) its a simple and effective system. Keep in mind, you don't have to use the QC feature on the Vector, you can torque it as you would with any other action. I might be wrong, but I think its the first 3 lug action with integral rail and lug? The ability to have one stock/scope combo and the ability to quickly change calibers, zero your scope and shoot a match is appealing. No need to have 2-3 high end optics/chassis/action combos would really makes it nice on the wallet for a guy. I've been running the Axiom since launch and its slick. I'll have a Vector soon and have 3 blanks waiting...6BRA/6x47/6.5x47.
That’s what I’m hoping for 1 setup w multiple barrels. Have your smith save the measurements than when it’s time to rebarrel call him for a replacement. You can do a barrel swap on the coffee table while watching the morning news lol.

Reactions: jb41291
Correct I spoke w Joe last week. He said 3rd-4th week in April if you preordered one. Keep a eye on Curtis Facebook page!

Reactions: jb41291
I am not concerned about switching caliber. More concerned with swapping a shot out barrel without a gunsmith. I don’t see the slide of multi caliber setups to be honest. All the people or I know just get a new rifle.

Reactions: Safety_3rd
Curtis Customs is dilegiantly working on production runs of the Vectors. They should be out very soon. I've been shooting a Curtis Custom Axiom since the prototype stage of design. I love it. It feeds a BR with no modification in my JAE and runs 6.5 cm smooth as butter. I really like the 90 bolt position with the 60 degree throw, the roller cam is awesome, whats not to like? The Vector's AW cut will be awesome and obviously that quick change barrel system is going to be silly good.
I've talk with Chase a couple times about the action. I'm actually really glad he's taking his time with the prototypes without just jumping into production runs.

Last edited:
IT should be a hit...if not i will have one up for sale NIB by the end of the month lol.

Reactions: NaciremaToirtap
Thats the vid i was referring Too thanks

When i ordered the Vector, i asked Curtis the same question. I was told down the road Curtis would be offering prethreaded barrels once production on the actions got off and running.

Reactions: DangerRanger
When i ordered the Vector, i asked Curtis the same question. I was told down the road Curtis would be offering prethreaded barrels once production on the actions got off and running.

This would be great. I've been in touch with Joel since last fall and can't wait to get mine in hand. It would be awesome to call up your action maker and have a new barrel sent to your house. Hopefully they make a run of bottom metal soon after as well!

Reactions: BCX
Anyone receive their Vector yet??

I talked to Mcmillian and they recommend me sending the action in so they can scan it for inletting. I'm getting antsy.. we have a short shooting season in the northeast.

Joel said it was exact to the 700 when I asked and he's a stock maker so I thought hat was good enough. Hopefully it is

I told Mcmillian it was a standard Rem 700 footprint but they still wanted to scan it. i wanted to try the new A-6 stock

794B375E-EC9D-4162-8E7A-6F166BC449B3.png

I can’t wait any longer I will lose out on this season. My order will be up for grabs. PM me if anyone wants my Vector w a Wsm bolt face. Was going to build a Prc.

I just got off the phone w Joel Russo. What a stand up guy!!! I explained my situation and he had no problem refunding my money. Thank you Curtis Custom. Good thing there is a waiting list so now I don’t feel so bad. You guys ROCK!!!

I just got off the phone w Joel Russo. What a stand up guy!!! I explained my situation and he had no problem refunding my money. Thank you Curtis Custom. Good thing there is a waiting list so now I don’t feel so bad. You guys ROCK!!!

Glad that went smoothly! Their customer attention/service is quite impressive.

What will you be switching to?

I like my Surgeon actions. I overnighted one to my Smith last night. He should receive it later today.... now I’m back on track. Better late than never ?

Don’t do it. Had one, nothing but issue after issue after issue. Won’t get into on a public forum, but I’ll leave it at it was never fixed.

Axiom is awesome and the Vector is as well. Mid way isn’t far away.

Idk I own one now and it runs no issues. I sold my GAP due to bolt binding.

Can’t be that many issues.. I think Surgeon was the 2nd most popular action/rifle in 17 in the PRS circuit

Well then, they sure tricked me. Should probably change their name as LRI is almost an automatic association to Longrifles Inc for most, or I could just pay attention. lol

Reactions: 5RWill