• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Custom Valor bolt lugs galling

Bowe

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2022
Stavanger
Anybody experiencing that their bolt-lugs on Curtis Custom Valor galls during cycling?

Eager to know what people have done to sort this out and to fix it?

My story below:

In 2021 I figured that I'd give the Valor a chance. Setting aside 2000+ USD to purchase the action, spare bolts and parts. The exitement was high upon arrival. Rushing of to the gunsmith with the a fresh barrel and the brand new action. I had seen som slight wear of the bolt surfaces and lugs prior to this, but somehow convinced myself that it it was supposed to be like that. (never had nitrided actions before)

Got the gun back from my gunsmith amd headed to the range for the initial test runs. During load development I'd see all kinds of weird pressure signs, even though I was on the lower end wrt charge weights.
During this process I inspected the bolt lugs to be heavily galled. Compared with my inital headspace to current one had increased by 0.005 in.

Back to the gunsmith to redo the headspace. Same story, headspace constantly increasing due to the bolt lugs galling severly.

In total I've been back and fort to the gunsmith
three times in just a little over 600 rounds.
Headspace have increased a total 0.011.

Attaching a few photos of how my bolt look like today. Also note that it startet galling prior to having fired any rounds. (de-greased)

I know of a few others that faced the same kind of issues.

Just speculation from my side now, but I do suspect that the action and the bolt material hardnesses are way of eachother, whereas the bolt is simply to soft. Lapping will not fix it.
Could also very well be a machining-issue as parts of the receiver body to have very sharp edges, particulary the receiver bearing surfaces.

I'd have to give Credit to Curtis wanting to fix this. I am however very concerned about the long-term quality for PRS-Use.

Eager to know your thougts.

Attachments

• Receiver lug bearing surface edge.jpg
    Receiver lug bearing surface edge.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 342
  • lug3.jpg
    lug3.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 343
  • lug2.jpg
    lug2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 318
  • lug1.jpg
    lug1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BCX and Jscb1b
When did you contact them and what did they say?
Every now and then. Their customer service has been acceptable where they’ve been very forthcoming offering replacements.
No obvious explanation to the issues that I and others are seeing.

Was hoping that this forum could give me some answers.

Every now and then. Their customer service has been acceptable where they’ve been very forthcoming offering replacements.
No obvious explanation to the issues that I and others are seeing.

Was hoping that this forum could give me some answers.

The moment you realized your headspace was moving, that should have been the end of it. Action goes back to Curtis for a replacement.

The action you have should he sawed into pieces and trashed. If you treated it correctly (not accusing, but you didn't say how you use it) and it did that, im actually concerned for your safety.

Why didn't you take the replacement? At least if that second one does it you’d then seek a refund and wash your hands of it. Instead you had a gunsmith alter the barrel so its unusable in the replacement action. There’s no “getting back” to proper metallurgy in a finished action.

Reactions: Baron23
The moment you realized your headspace was moving, that should have been the end of it. Action goes back to Curtis for a replacement.

The action you have should he sawed into pieces and trashed. If you treated it correctly (not accusing, but you didn't say how you use it) and it did that, im actually concerned for your safety.

Why didn't you take the replacement? At least if that second one does it you’d then seek a refund and wash your hands of it. Instead you had a gunsmith alter the barrel so its unusable in the replacement action. There’s no “getting back” to proper metallurgy in a finished action.
Absolutely agree, however, not that simple having to deal with import-&export- permits as I'm not a US citizen.

Got a replacement bolt where the exact same thing happens.

In our country I know of four Valor-actions (think thats all). All are suffering from the same failure mechanisms. Between theese there are at least 60 actions looking at the serial-numbers. That tells me that there could (or should?) be many more experiencing the same kind of issues. As you say it is a safety-concern. However I havent seen anyone writing about this which I find strange.

Absolutely agree, however, not that simple having to deal with import-&export- permits as I'm not a US citizen.

Got a replacement bolt where the exact same thing happens.

In our country I know of four Valor-actions (think thats all). All are suffering from the same failure mechanisms. Between theese there are at least 60 actions looking at the serial-numbers. That tells me that there could (or should?) be many more experiencing the same kind of issues. As you say it is a safety-concern. However I havent seen anyone writing about this which I find strange.
Push them for a refund, and destroy the action where you are. Sorry you're having to deal with that.

Reactions: moosemeat and Bowe
Exact same thing happened to a Bergara of mine.
Bergara offered to fix it, but my LGS just gave me a refund.

Reactions: Bowe
Thanks. Are those problems similar as what we’re facing? Could you provide any info if you got?
I’m not facing them because I would never give Curtis a penny. Sadly you’re finding out first hand.

At least you got a “finished” bolt in yours even if it is a piece of soft crap that was instantly ruined.

Reactions: whatsupdoc
I’m not facing them because I would never give Curtis a penny. Sadly you’re finding out first hand.

At least you got a “finished” bolt in yours even if it is a piece of soft crap that was instantly ruined.
Doesn’t seem like a 4of type of thing this. A potential major one, affecting many. Safety of the users are becoming my concern.

Have they issued Safety Alerts or done something to replace bolts ?

I have 2 of them among other actions and haven't had any issues with that. I think I'd just deal with Curtis on it if head space is moving and get a replacement. If headspace is moving then I'd for sure be wanting a replacement. So you are saying that they sent you a replacement and it happened again? With head space moving and all?

I have 2 of them among other actions and haven't had any issues with that. I think I'd just deal with Curtis on it if head space is moving and get a replacement. If headspace is moving then I'd for sure be wanting a replacement. So you are saying that they sent you a replacement and it happened again? With head space moving and all?
Correct. I’ve had headspace setback on three bolts.
The exact same thing has happened on three other actions/bolts of the same make.

You can gall the bolt of any MFG, lack of lube, dirt and not enough case clearance can cause galling.

Correct. I’ve had headspace setback on three bolts.
The exact same thing has happened on three other actions/bolts of the same make.
You've had the head space set back on 3 barrels with 3 different bolts? Am I understanding this correctly?

You can gall the bolt of any MFG, lack of lube, dirt and not enough case clearance can cause galling.
Yes any action can gall with the right conditions for sure. I'd be well into a very deep dive with Curtis and be figuring this out waaaay before I'd be changing the head space on multiple barrels , if I am getting this right. This seems pretty odd honestly but it needs to be figured out, not just taking off some on the barrel

You've had the head space set back on 3 barrels with 3 different bolts? Am I understanding this correctly?
Same story with all. The worst one; Had to redo my headspace three times over 600 rounds. Rough, but accurate enough messurements give me a total of 0.011 lug wear on the worst one. At that point I gave up

Same story with all. The worst one; Had to redo my headspace three times over 600 rounds. Rough, but accurate enough messurements give me a total of 0.011 lug wear on the worst one. At that point I gave up

Can you tell me the story? I don't really understand the process here.

Reactions: Bowe
Can you tell me the story? I don't really understand the process here.
Sorry. My story are partly within my initial post.
Started of seiing strange wear on the main one bolt lugs prior to even firing it. Somehow convinced myself that it had to be normal wear. Put it into use and got pressure signs that shouldnt be expected (min load approx). After 200 rounds (approx) of load dev and barrel break-in i started seeing major wear of the lugs. Measured headspace at that time and it had increased by 0.005. Sent the gun over to my gunsmith to do a rechamber. Got it back and the headspace was within spec of Dasher +0015. Fired additional 400 and headspace had increased again, by 0.005.
The two other bolts I have are facing the exact same initial wear of the lugs. I do not have exact measurements of theese, and probably never will as I wont spent money and components on this anymore without knowing what is wrong and what can be done to resolve it.

Started of seiing strange wear on the main one bolt lugs prior to even firing it. Somehow convinced myself that it had to be normal wear. Put it into use and got pressure signs that shouldnt be expected (min load approx). After 200 rounds (approx) of load dev and barrel break-in i started seeing major wear of the lugs. Measured headspace at that time and it had increased by 0.005. Sent the gun over to my gunsmith to do a rechamber. Got it back and the headspace was within spec of Dasher +0015. Fired additional 400 and headspace had increased again, by 0.005.
The two other bolts I have are facing the exact same initial wear of the lugs. I do not have exact measurements of theese, and probably never will as I wont spent money and components on this anymore without knowing what is wrong and what can be done to resolve it.
Ok, got it. One barrel and three bolts.

I too would just want my money back and agree w @Supersubes that the action should be trashed. Who no would ever trust it again?

Man I assume you are in fact using lube and doing everything right ect...

If you've had 3 bolts on this action all do the same thing I'd want a new action with new bolt and some kind of explanation of why this happened.
Honestly my limited dealing with Chase Curtis leads me to believe he'd do that but that's for sure what I would want.

Perhaps a batch of bolts didn't get heat treated correctly or something and thats all it is? The metallurgy part is just out of my league to really even talk about but I'd damn sure want to know why it happened and I'd want a new action.

I've been really happy with my 2 and have had nothing but great results with them but let us know what happens and what the explanation is

Curious about this, not a machinist or a metals professional, only looking to increase my knowledge. Are you sure this is galling or lug set back on the bolt? I understood galling to be metal transfer between 2 surfaces, for various reasons? Either way, sorry to hear about this. Hope you can recoup something in the end.

Curious about this, not a machinist or a metals professional, only looking to increase my knowledge. Are you sure this is galling or lug set back on the bolt? I understood galling to be metal transfer between 2 surfaces, for various reasons? Either way, sorry to hear about this. Hope you can recoup something in the end.
Galling in its conventional way is probably the wrong term yes. Either way, material is being removed from the lugs by the action.

Reactions: BJames
No. Gunsmith identified this early. Conclusion as per in the thread. My decision to continue. Not to blame! Also irrelevant for the discussion.
Your "gunsmith" should be in the hall of shame for listening to you and continuing to work on the rifle knowing there's an 100% identifiable safety issue with the bolt.
What is relevant, is that you continued to have a POS rifle worked on many times and fire it with known safety issues.

• Haha
Reactions: wade2big
Your "gunsmith" should be in the hall of shame for listening to you and continuing to work on the rifle knowing there's an 100% identifiable safety issue with the bolt.
What is relevant, is that you continued to have a POS rifle worked on many times and fire it with known safety issues.
Point taken. However, you are missing out on that my action was the first to ever hit our country. Knowledge of the product and having experience on vulnerabilities, things that typically wear&fails on the action simply wasn’t there. These things heavily change from make to make as you probably know. Galling on bolt lugs is not a unusual thing for a smith to deal with.
No gunsmith at this point today is willing to work on Curtis actions in the country. All about learings and experiences.
Think your post is quite bombastic to be honest.

Point taken. However, you are missing out on that my action was the first to ever hit our country. Knowledge of the product and having experience on vulnerabilities, things that typically wear&fails on the action simply wasn’t there. These things heavily change from make to make as you probably know. Galling on bolt lugs is not a unusual thing for a smith to deal with.
No gunsmith at this point today is willing to work on Curtis actions in the country. All about learings and experiences.
Think your post is quite bombastic to be honest.

It just seems kind of odd and this place is not exactly the place for soft spokeness either. However, it is a place where a wealth of knowledge is available if you have a thick skin. Don't take it personally, it isn't meant to be.

I think some may question if there is even another issue going on considering that the solution that you guys came up with was to change headspace on the barrel and do so multiple times. That's why I had a hard time understanding the series of events, because that sounds kind of crazy to do if you are seeing a problem with lugs. Seems to me that I would be inspecting the action and working with Curtis to see why this happened vs trying to shave a barrel and it's kind of shocking that a Smith would find that to be a solution vs finding out what the actual issue is. I think he's right, you do need to find a new smith that knows what he's doing because I can't imagine a knowledgeable one doing anything but calling Curtis and testing and measuring and figuring this out or telling you to.

There's lots of smith's here that are straight up Fudd's so seriously , don't take it personally. Curtis can do hardness testing on the bolt lugs as well as check the action and tolerances ect and figure this out.

Reactions: Bowe and Baron23