• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Customs 22lr conversion has arrived…

jbell

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2010
    Lewiston, ME
    I know there is another thread on it from back at the initial announcement, but here is the link for the live product. I have owned 22lr conversions in the past, they are a great concept but now for me. This is some great forward thinking. My hats off to them! This should be interesting to watch, I wish them well…

Reactions: TEUFEL820
    I think it’s pretty slick if you’ve already got a Curtis, since the price is way lower then a new action but being on the outside looking in it’s pretty steep price of admission.

I was interested until I saw the conversion price.

Can this be dry fired with a cone breach?
    I thought about switching to Curtis actions when I heard the rumors it was actually happening, but once I saw the price I figured I’ll just stick with my Zermätt stuff. That being said if it didn’t have a RimX and was running a curtis action the conversion with barrel would make sense since it’s not much more then a bare RimX action that would need a full build out.

I thought about switching to Curtis actions when I heard the rumors it was actually happening, but once I saw the price I figured I’ll just stick with my Zermätt stuff. That being said if it didn’t have a RimX and was running a curtis action the conversion with barrel would make sense since it’s not much more then a bare RimX action that would need a full build out.
    I have a Vudoo right now and I'm not super happy with it. The bolt seems too "sloppy" and it jams up when I try to cycle the gun quickly. I have a few friends running the RimX and they seem much better (wish I would've tried one before buying the Vudoo), but I also have a Curtis Axiom lying around, so I'm tempted to go that way if the conversion is every bit as good as the RimX. Decisions, decisions...

I have a Vudoo right now and I'm not super happy with it. The bolt seems too "sloppy" and it jams up when I try to cycle the gun quickly. I have a few friends running the RimX and they seem much better (wish I would've tried one before buying the Vudoo), but I also have a Curtis Axiom lying around, so I'm tempted to go that way if the conversion is every bit as good as the RimX. Decisions, decisions...
    That’s a shame since the vudoo was king of the 22LR for a while but now I keep hearing about issues with feeding and I’ve got a local guy that for some reason gets a couple killer groups then it goes to looking like a shotgun pattern.

The RimX is definitely sweet, had a few growing pains but they seem to have sorted them out once they appeared and I have a feeling the Curtis will be similar but time will tell since it’s only been available recently.

This thread is focused on the Curtis, and don't want to derail, but I have multiple Vudoos and friends with RimX's and they all shoot fine. If you don't properly get the mag adjusted (either via chassis (vudoo) or mag (rimx)) you're going to have problems. 95% of it is user error.

The "smoothness" of cycling is true in that the RimX tends to cycle better for the general mass. Cycling the Vudoo requires cycling in a way that pulls the bolt straight back. I cycle my bolt straight back and see no difference between the Vudoo and RimX, and prefer the 60 degree throw.

This thread is focused on the Curtis, and don't want to derail, but I have multiple Vudoos and friends with RimX's and they all shoot fine. If you don't properly get the mag adjusted (either via chassis (vudoo) or mag (rimx)) you're going to have problems. 95% of it is user error.

The "smoothness" of cycling is true in that the RimX tends to cycle better for the general mass. Cycling the Vudoo requires cycling in a way that pulls the bolt straight back. I cycle my bolt straight back and see no difference between the Vudoo and RimX, and prefer the 60 degree throw.
    Cycling the Vudoo straight back seems to be the key. A little off and it sticks/jams.

Reactions: nakoa01
    Cycling the Vudoo straight back seems to be the key. A little off and it sticks/jams.
    Agreed. The straighter you can pull it back the better. But when you're trying to get a super quick follow-up shot on something like a spinner, cycling both fast and straight becomes difficult. Seems to me that for the cost of a Vudoo, I should be getting an action that keeps itself aligned, and I just have to worry about cycling the bolt as quickly as I can. This seems to be the case with RimX actions, and I hope will be the case with the Curtis conversion as well. I'm happy with my Axiom and Vector on "big boy" cartridges, so I would think they could duplicate the feel and operation with the .22 bolt.

Agreed. The straighter you can pull it back the better. But when you're trying to get a super quick follow-up shot on something like a spinner, cycling both fast and straight becomes difficult. Seems to me that for the cost of a Vudoo, I should be getting an action that keeps itself aligned, and I just have to worry about cycling the bolt as quickly as I can. This seems to be the case with RimX actions, and I hope will be the case with the Curtis conversion as well. I'm happy with my Axiom and Vector on "big boy" cartridges, so I would think they could duplicate the feel and operation with the .22 bolt.
    Do you have a 360? The new 360 with the cut out channel to help with guiding the bolt back and the new melonite process that they're doing that is very similar to RimX made it feel pretty identical when I was comparing my brand new 360 action 2 months ago with the RimX.

The old Vudoos that were cerakoted required thousands of rounds to become super slick. Once the cerakote wore in and you lubed it well, those end up being smoother, but takes thousands of rounds to get there.

Agreed with strait back. Having owned all of the Vudoo line and a few rim x builds the smoothest of all are the first generation V-22 that was not cerakoted. I think they were melonited back then.

Do you have a 360? The new 360 with the cut out channel to help with guiding the bolt back and the new melonite process that they're doing that is very similar to RimX made it feel pretty identical when I was comparing my brand new 360 action 2 months ago with the RimX.

The old Vudoos that were cerakoted required thousands of rounds to become super slick. Once the cerakote wore in and you lubed it well, those end up being smoother, but takes thousands of rounds to get there.
    Yep, it's a 360. I've had it for a year, so maybe the newer version. When did they start making the version with the cut out channel? I'll have to look at mine when I get home...
    I'm really having two problems with it: the bolt binding up when trying to cycle it fast, and occasionally when trying to run the bolt forward quickly the bolt will drive the round into the next round in the mag, which binds up the action and I have to clear two rounds to get the gun to function again (time consuming when you're on the clock.)
    It's in an MPA BA-Comp chassis, and full disclosure, I haven't played with the mag release or anything yet to see if I can adjust the height of the loaded mag, etc. I know MPA makes an adjustable mag catch, so I can start there. Maybe also some foam tape on the mag or in the chassis mag well. The Vudoo mags can wiggle a bit once they're inserted, and it seems to me like they should be pretty snug. A couple of degrees one way or the other could affect feeding on a round as small as .22lr.

I don't want to bash on mpa but that's your issue. Everyone at my range with an mpa unless it was super tweaked and modified has issues.

Tweaked meaning fully adjusted mag latch. Velcro for side to side movement. Mag block as well.

I don't want to bash on mpa but that's your issue. Everyone at my range with an mpa unless it was super tweaked and modified has issues.

Tweaked meaning fully adjusted mag latch. Velcro for side to side movement. Mag block as well.
    Agreed, I'm not going to lay everything at Vudoo's feet. The thing about building Frankenstein guns is that we can't point to any one thing; I put the gun together, so any issues it has are up to me to fix. However, I have three MPA chassis and I'm happy with all of them and they run great. But yes, due to the nature of the beast (different brands of action, different mags, etc.) some tweaking is inevitable. Maybe MDT or some other chassis is better, but I already have these so I'm working with what I got.
    Regardless, if I can't run the Vudoo action quickly even without a mag inserted, then that's on Vudoo. And in my experience, it's sloppier than a RimX and more finicky if the bolt isn't driven perfectly straight.

Reactions: littlepod
    I've got one of the Conversions set to arrive sometime this month along with an IBI prefit. Definitely excited to have an all in one rifle for my PRS needs. I'll report back once it arrives and I get some rounds down range.

Reactions: usafa77 and veenk
    Agreed, I'm not going to lay everything at Vudoo's feet. The thing about building Frankenstein guns is that we can't point to any one thing; I put the gun together, so any issues it has are up to me to fix. However, I have three MPA chassis and I'm happy with all of them and they run great. But yes, due to the nature of the beast (different brands of action, different mags, etc.) some tweaking is inevitable. Maybe MDT or some other chassis is better, but I already have these so I'm working with what I got.
    Regardless, if I can't run the Vudoo action quickly even without a mag inserted, then that's on Vudoo. And in my experience, it's sloppier than a RimX and more finicky if the bolt isn't driven perfectly straight.
    I run a 360 action in a MPA comp chassis. I'm using our L3I mags so no adjustable latch on the chassis required although it does have one. Once I set the mag height I haven't looked back and I can load into a bag as hard as I want without feeding issues. The bolt feel definitely takes getting used to, I hated it at first but now it's a muscle memory and it doesn't hold me back at all.

I run a 360 action in a MPA comp chassis. I'm using our L3I mags so no adjustable latch on the chassis required although it does have one. Once I set the mag height I haven't looked back and I can load into a bag as hard as I want without feeding issues. The bolt feel definitely takes getting used to, I hated it at first but now it's a muscle memory and it doesn't hold me back at all.
    Interesting. This is the first I've heard about L3I. I'll have to check them out, thanks!!

Yep, it's a 360. I've had it for a year, so maybe the newer version. When did they start making the version with the cut out channel? I'll have to look at mine when I get home...
    I'm really having two problems with it: the bolt binding up when trying to cycle it fast, and occasionally when trying to run the bolt forward quickly the bolt will drive the round into the next round in the mag, which binds up the action and I have to clear two rounds to get the gun to function again (time consuming when you're on the clock.)
    It's in an MPA BA-Comp chassis, and full disclosure, I haven't played with the mag release or anything yet to see if I can adjust the height of the loaded mag, etc. I know MPA makes an adjustable mag catch, so I can start there. Maybe also some foam tape on the mag or in the chassis mag well. The Vudoo mags can wiggle a bit once they're inserted, and it seems to me like they should be pretty snug. A couple of degrees one way or the other could affect feeding on a round as small as .22lr.
    KRG whisky 3 or Xray feed like butter. no misfeeds ever. Both gen 1 and the 360.

Reactions: veenk
    Pursuit of Accuracy just did a nice review on his channel about them. And not to detail this thread anymore the video Curtis posted this weekend has a L3I mag in his conversion :)

If the bolt actually used those front lugs, I’d sell a bunch of toys to buy one. If anyone has ever fired a Kleinguenther K22 or Mauser 201, you know the accuracy. Only downside would be the difficulty of single loading.

I've got one of the Conversions set to arrive sometime this month along with an IBI prefit. Definitely excited to have an all in one rifle for my PRS needs. I'll report back once it arrives and I get some rounds down range.
    Interested to see a bunch of pics when it arrives. Also really interested in some groups...that seems to be something none of the reviews/impressions I've seen have addressed.

Interested to see a bunch of pics when it arrives. Also really interested in some groups...that seems to be something none of the reviews/impressions I've seen have addressed.
    Absolutely, definitely seems to be a lack of any information other than what Curtis has released.

I'm just wanting something competitive with the other trainers out there. This allows me to have one SA bolt gun to do my rimfire, 223 and 6.5 matches and then some hunting with the 6.5 and a 300wsm (still in the works). Saves on optics, chassis and gives you great muscle memory for sure

Reactions: usafa77
    Absolutely, definitely seems to be a lack of any information other than what Curtis has released.

I'm just wanting something competitive with the other trainers out there. This allows me to have one SA bolt gun to do my rimfire, 223 and 6.5 matches and then some hunting with the 6.5 and a 300wsm (still in the works). Saves on optics, chassis and gives you great muscle memory for sure
    One of the Missouri shooter posted about his one FB. Shows him swapping barrels in about a min flat.

Does anyone know of this kit will work with a terminus Zeus action or not

5D2CADC2-6D30-40DF-A235-01A2F17B2DEA.jpeg
    796BB20E-41FA-4359-AAEF-60EA14277456.jpeg
    FCA5FBE3-AFED-43D8-BA83-4FE55CEE0AE0.jpeg
    18D6C500-673E-4DFC-87DB-7E6338BC20D7.jpeg
    C3BD5223-68F1-4E04-B788-4E507294D128.jpeg
    472360AD-16DB-4B41-864D-00F2E82508D0.jpeg
    646AB3BA-5BA2-4BEB-9FFD-E5C93BDFF14C.jpeg
    D016DDDC-4585-4B78-B6BA-3F7ADFC85DDB.jpeg
    28984071-5CD0-4CB6-A497-DE26798A7093.jpeg
    6177D6F0-9912-4323-91D5-784935CCD7B8.jpeg
    CD5665DB-CB32-42DA-A37A-525CEE242CAC.jpeg
    D8DECFB5-EF13-42FA-88AE-49BE5059A457.jpeg

They say that the Curtis valor and vector works and they r the same as the Zeus is y I asked

Thanks for the pics! Would you mind taking some calipers to the bolt body? I highly doubt it will work in a Terminus Zeus since after the first small run, Joel reduced the bolt diameter from .750 to .725.
    I think he also reworked the cocking piece.
    Thanks!

60 degree throw so different than 40x vudoo feel
    Rem 700 trigger so cocking piece shouldn’t be too different
    .741/742 bolt body diameter

I ordered one for my valor a couple weeks ago and will update when I have received it. Have the barrel ready and waiting just need the conversion kit to come in.

I ordered one for my valor a couple weeks ago and will update when I have received it. Have the barrel ready and waiting just need the conversion kit to come in.
    Looking forward to hearing an update!

Who spun up your barrel?

Veenk....

I had a Vudoo that I wasn't happy with. I had expressed my concerns in the first two weeks and kept every email that I had with Jill and Paul.
    After multiple attempts to get it fixed and sending out to Lapua for lot testing, Paul said to send back the entire original package for a full refund. All of the ancillary items that I had bought I had to sell on my own. Other than the accuracy, I thought it was a wonderful piece of work. In the past I had been a welder, machinist and spent 30 years in mechanical design. I thought they did a really nice job from concept all the way through manufacture. My Vudoo functioned flawlessly in every other regard and was not finicky in any way. I just had very high expectations from it given it's price point. If they called today and said they had one that shot better, I wouldn't hesitate to try it again. As shown, it was just over 18 pounds and had a Trijicon, 5 - 50 x 56 MOA scope. Switching scopes did nothing to help it's accuracy and I feel I'm a reasonably good shot based on my past. I have seen and designed tooling that was slightly loose until just before it reached the end of it's stroke. Often having zero wiggle is simply perception of quality and does nothing to add to it's value. It does however drive the cost way up !!

Attachments

• VUDOO KB SIZE FILE.JPG
      VUDOO KB SIZE FILE.JPG
      37.9 KB · Views: 35
    • WORLDS resized.jpg
      WORLDS resized.jpg
      66.3 KB · Views: 24
    • $2000.00 EACH resized.jpg
      $2000.00 EACH resized.jpg
      61.8 KB · Views: 30
    • NJR BOTH KNOBS resized.jpg
      NJR BOTH KNOBS resized.jpg