• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Customs Jumping In

MarkLeupold

On board the .25 train
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
80134894_2618226651599837_4259494237684367360_n.jpg

Curtis Customs dropped this on social media a few hours ago. Color me intrigued...

Meh... I'm loyal to Vudoo...
I was curious, but couldn't wait. Vudoo

Yeah, I definitely get this. Vudoo is going to have a huge piece of the market shored up already, they were first to the game. With how well they did it, I think it would be nearly useless to try unless your action was offering something unique (60 degree throw, lower price point, etc.).

It’s fixing to get very interesting everybody gonna start jumping in the 22 game hopefully prices come down!!!

This is what I'm hoping for. It'd be nice if prices came down below custom centerfire actions a bit. $1200 on a rimfire action is still a bit hard for me to believe (though, there's plenty of people out there with them), but a $600-800 rimfire wouldn't be too bad. I don't think they'll come down that far, but a guy can dream.

I wonder is Anschutz has noticed the U.S. interest in precision .22 rifles? There is now some serious U.S. competition in the .22 game. It will probably make no difference to them as far as their European market goes, but as the saying goes, if you're not improving then you're getting behind.

Reactions: MarkLeupold
The action was well dressed - MPA chassis, Center-X/SK and presumably a NF scope. But where is the proof of the pudding? Show me the targets.

Rumor I've heard is that they're officially announcing next month...so maybe we'll see more soon

It's a lucrative segment of the market, I suspect others will jump in. But, the v22 has such a lead, I don't think the others will be able to dent the market share unless their product is leaps and bounds improved over the v22.. Being first to market is key....

More entrants into the precision .22lr market is a good thing. It'll probably take awhile for Vudoo to feel any effect though due to how extensive their hold of the market has become in a relatively short period of time. And good on them for it too, they developed an extremely loyal following by doing things the right way. As far as Curtis goes, I hope it's a 60 degree bolt throw and brings some new things to the table.

More entrants into the precision .22lr market is a good thing. It'll probably take awhile for Vudoo to feel any effect though due to how extensive their hold of the market has become in a relatively short period of time. And good on them for it too, they developed an extremely loyal following by doing things the right way. As far as Curtis goes, I hope it's a 60 degree bolt throw and brings some new things to the table.

Thanks Nate, it’s been quite a ride and we’re welcoming Curtis Custom into the market in a big way. You’ll see more from them soon....

MB

Glad that other custom action makers are getting in the game. Nothing against Vudoo, I still lust after one. But more competition is always a good thing for us consumers.

I'm a bit meh on Curtis, I hope other manufacturers (are you listening @Defiance Machine) jump into the waters as well.

I am wondering what mag they will be using. If it's a skinny CZ style then meh. Will be interesting to see more about them.

Reactions: Bradu
Magazine is going to be key. Unless VGW is sharing their magazine then I don’t see what Curtis could do to solve the little skinny mag issues.

Magazine is going to be key. Unless VGW is sharing their magazine then I don’t see what Curtis could do to solve the little skinny mag issues.

Why would vudoo have to share it? Not saying they wouldn’t.

But, as far as I know, as long as an action manufacturer doesn’t infringe on the design of the patented bolts, they can make an action that uses vudoo mags without issue.

Just like action companies make actions that take aw and aics mags. No “sharing” required. They sell you the action and you buy vudoo mags to use in it.

I always enjoy product competition but I think Vudoo nailed this one pretty good when they made it a 700 footprint. I hope Curtis and others do great with what they bring to the table, hopefully it brings prices down.

Reactions: RAVAGE88
competition is always good just look at the scope market , with the surge in NRL22 things could look completely different in another 5 years

Reactions: RAVAGE88
I agree that competition is good. In the case of firearms and actions this leads to innovation and improvements. Rarely does it lead to lower prices. Case in point being the many great new actions out there available for center fire. Has anyone seen prices go down? I haven’t.

Reactions: RAVAGE88 and 47guy
Why would vudoo have to share it? Not saying they wouldn’t.

But, as far as I know, as long as an action manufacturer doesn’t infringe on the design of the patented bolts, they can make an action that uses vudoo mags without issue.

Just like action companies make actions that take aw and aics mags. No “sharing” required. They sell you the action and you buy vudoo mags to use in it.

i didn’t think of it like this. I knew VGW was dealing with patents in their magazine but it never crossed my mind that others could build actions that would utilize them.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Glad that other custom action makers are getting in the game. Nothing against Vudoo, I still lust after one. But more competition is always a good thing for us consumers.

I'm a bit meh on Curtis, I hope other manufacturers (are you listening @Defiance Machine) jump into the waters as well.

I agree. More competition can only be good for our shooters. Better rifles, more features, and possibly better prices. I would love to own a Vudoo but still have trouble justifying a $2,500 22 rifle. Plus, the ammo and the shooter is still the two biggest variables to good 22lr accuracy. You can affect the shooter but the ammo is still the bottle neck that holds us back.

I agree. More competition can only be good for our shooters. Better rifles, more features, and possibly better prices. I would love to own a Vudoo but still have trouble justifying a $2,500 22 rifle. Plus, the ammo and the shooter is still the two biggest variables to good 22lr accuracy. You can affect the shooter but the ammo is still the bottle neck that holds us back.

Reactions: kthomas
i didn’t think of it like this. I knew VGW was dealing with patents in their magazine but it never crossed my mind that others could build actions that would utilize them.

Yessir, certainly doable. Early on, we weren't ready to get our magazines out to the other brands that asked due to specific internal goals, proper timing, etc., but we've always collaborated with those that have become and remain awesome industry partners. These relationships are important because they are of great benefit to the shooting community and we enjoy teaming with those that feel the same way we do. Another aspect of the timing was the action and magazine patents. The action patent has issued and magazine examination is going incredibly well along with the completion of the development of all the new magazines that will intro in early January.

The remaining components required, which is an important part of the Vudoo culture is, "respect and consideration." These two virtues are the high octane fuel to all of our dealings, especially customer service and most certainly collaboration. We respond to these two virtues no differently than anyone else, which is why it's such a big part of our culture. It's also why I share more with this community almost exclusively here on SH.

So, yes, it's definitely possible for others to build actions that use the Vudoo magazine ;) .

MB

I agree that competition is good. In the case of firearms and actions this leads to innovation and improvements. Rarely does it lead to lower prices. Case in point being the many great new actions out there available for center fire. Has anyone seen prices go down? I haven’t.

Not so much prices going down as options coming in at lower prices. I don’t think there was a sub-$1000 custom action in 2015. Now we have the Tenacity second gen, Origin, and APR G2 off the top of my head, plus a bunch more right at $1000.

Reactions: lash
It's a lucrative segment of the market, I suspect others will jump in. But, the v22 has such a lead, I don't think the others will be able to dent the market share unless their product is leaps and bounds improved over the v22.. Being first to market is key....
Not always... People used to say things like this about Surgeon actions. Value is value regardless of when it hits the market.

Reactions: lash
Not so much prices going down as options coming in at lower prices. I don’t think there was a sub-$1000 custom action in 2015. Now we have the Tenacity second gen, Origin, and APR G2 off the top of my head, plus a bunch more right at $1000.
The Stiller TAC 30 and TAC 30 AW were sub $1000 for many years and still are listed at barely over that and can be had for less. It’s just that now there are many more options for action shoppers.

Reactions: gnochi