• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Rimfire Conversion

Caba

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2024
Canada
Hi All,

Is anyone running a Curtis rimfire conversion? If so how do you like it?

I'm usually confined to a 100m range for most of my shooting so the idea of a centerfire/rimfire conversion seems like a great idea. I can use the rimfire for the range and change to the centerfire when I'm able to shoot longer distances.

Cheers!

Edit: The rifle I'm looking to buy is the MPA ESR Rimfire built on a Curtis Action.

to go that route you really might want to consider confirming if it has a vector type action setup with quick change barrels. The axiom receiver is going to have a barrel nut rimfire barrel and full tenon CF barrels other wise which would make the swaps more involved. If you are already doing something like that (I know someone that has a vice setup that goes in the truck hitch for barrel swaps) then g2g.

If not, its a specific setup they (Curtis) shows in the video where they are swapping out with action in the stock and on the fly. A few smiths appeared to offer barrels for a while so you may see some non MPA builds with either receiver type around also and possibly in any chassis/stock.

MPA seemed to make a few of them with varying configs including full tenon 22 barrels before going with a vudoo base.

I loved the idea but never pursued one. If Terminus came out with similar for zeus QC id jump on it myself.

to go that route you really might want to consider confirming if it has a vector type action setup with quick change barrels. The axiom receiver is going to have a barrel nut rimfire barrel and full tenon CF barrels other wise which would make the swaps more involved. If you are already doing something like that (I know someone that has a vice setup that goes in the truck hitch for barrel swaps) then g2g.

If not, its a specific setup they (Curtis) shows in the video where they are swapping out with action in the stock and on the fly. A few smiths appeared to offer barrels for a while so you may see some non MPA builds with either receiver type around also and possibly in any chassis/stock.

MPA seemed to make a few of them with varying configs including full tenon 22 barrels before going with a vudoo base.

I loved the idea but never pursued one. If Terminus came out with similar for zeus QC id jump on it myself.
Thanks, I'll check regarding the barrel nut. Unless it's a Vector like quick change barrel I wouldn't buy it

I just email Joel and he said he has no plans for a rimfire conversion. Too bad.

Reactions: King_beardsly
I own one for my Valor. Need to install my trigger tech since it didnt like the Timney. Check out this forum -https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/curtis-custom-22lr-conversion.6979494/page-3#post-11503898

Lots of good info

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on the thread. I talked with a couple of well respected gunsmiths In Canada (where I'm from) and both weren't keen on a centerfire/rimfire switch barrel on the Curtis Action. They had no isses with the Curtis Action for centerfire or rimfire, just both on one action.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on the thread. I talked with a couple of well respected gunsmiths In Canada (where I'm from) and both weren't keen on a centerfire/rimfire switch barrel on the Curtis Action. They had no isses with the Curtis Action for centerfire or rimfire, just both on one action.

Did these gunsmiths have direct experience with the Curtis rimfire conversion?

Personally, I would avoid Curtis because their manufacturing and QA/QC, along with their CS, has been pretty dodgy. However, those that have the .22 conversion on here seem to like it and have good experiences with it.

There's a thread about it here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/curtis-custom-22lr-conversion.6979494/

Customer service is not ideal, but if you hound Curtis he will get stuff to you. I knew that going into it so I was patient but I get why others were so frustrated. People who use QC have had zero issues as long as they take proper precautions. I didn’t not and plan on using a barrel vice since that’s what Chad at 5x5 precision recommended

I own two different Curtis Actions. Both have zero issues. I considered getting a conversion but obtaining a barrel and having it fitted was the real issue so I went with Vudoo.

Did these gunsmiths have direct experience with the Curtis rimfire conversion?

Personally, I would avoid Curtis because their manufacturing and QA/QC, along with their CS, has been pretty dodgy. However, those that have the .22 conversion on here seem to like it and have good experiences with it.

There's a thread about it here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/curtis-custom-22lr-conversion.6979494/
They did, I talked to Insite and EM Precision, I was only interested in the Curtis if I could have a functioning rimfire/centerfire switch barrel rifle. Otherwsie I'm going with a RIMx, I don't like the idea of a the magazine insert on a dedicated rimfire.

I think it's a cool idea if you own a vector or Curtis quick change system or possibly if it can work with a WTO setup (unknown to me).

It does with with the WTO switch lug. Midwest Shooting did a review of it on YouTube

Reactions: Caba
Thanks for the video. Desert Precision put his rifle together. I reached out to Kenny from Desert Precision about the Curtis Rimfire Conversion and he wasn't too keen on it or Curtis as a company. Weird that he put this one together.