• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Vector Bolt Timing

archistrong

PRS Dummy
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2017
Lawrence, KS
I picked up a new to me Vector action (with an advertised ~1500rds on the action) and wanted to see what other Curtis owners have experienced. I’ve tried both a Bix N Andy TAC Sport Pro and a Jewell HVR Trigger and both have a similar issue. There is a VERY pronounced cock-on-close with both triggers. The bolt will close halfway as the cocking piece hands off to the upper sear, and then there’s a very stiff “ledge” where it takes considerable effort to close.

These actions are advertised as having .245” trigger fall with Jewells and .235” with Trigger Tech. That’s about what I’m seeing with my triggers. I’m leary of timing the bolt / trigger as it will (as far as I understand it) reduce trigger fall and recommended for R700 clones is .250” (+\- .005”).

Bolt opening is also very stiff. much heavier than my ARC Nucleus which is also a 3 lug action. I kinda expected it with a 3 lug action but this is a bit much.

Just curious if anyone else’s experience is similar.

Yeah, I didn't originally reply because I don't have either of the triggers you mention but with my Vector and TT the close is very smooth. With the rollerball cocking piece the amount of force to close the action is very small- like a 95/5 on the opening vs closing effort.

On my Impact with TT, which is more of a 50/50 action, the Vector takes more force to cock but is way smoother to close.

Thank you both for the response. I've since talked with Curtis and they sent me a spare cocking piece for me to work with. Pin fall with both the Tac Sport Pro and the Jewell was .265". I set up the cocking piece in a 30° fixture and ground ~.020" off the sear face. Cock on close is a little better, when I run the bolt at "match speed" it's smoother, but definitely still a hitch on closing. May have to try a Triggertech, see if that helps smooth it out any more.

Did you get this figured out? Just wondering what the fix was that you found. I have the same issue just with a different action