• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Curtis Vector Questions

Lamb

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Hi guys hope everyone is doing well.

I am looking at putting together a custom build for PRS matches here in Australia.

I am looking at the following:
Curtis Vector or Terminus Zeus. I understand there is a bit of beef between the two companies and would not like to get involved in the drama. From what i can see Curtis has there 22lr conversion almost ready for release. This would be huge for me as my local range does a rimfire match before the main centrefire match. This would make a perfect training setup for me. It seems like terminus does not have any plans on releasing a 22lr conversion.

Does the smaller overall bolt size on the terminus actually make a difference? Do the Vectors have a massive issue with mag over insertion? I will be running AW magazine. I realise with both actions i will have to file the mag latch.

When running a 223 bolt and barrel in the vector or terminus what magazine do you use?

Grayboe Ridgeback or Magpul pro 700. I am still a little undecided on stocks but these two cost the same amount here in Australia at the moment. I really like the folding stock options so i can fit a 26" barreled rifle in the back of my ute (pickup). If i went the traditional stock route would i be able to remove the barrel from the vector or terminus for transport and put it back in once i get to the match, rezero and be fine? I am by no means a national level shooter i am only just starting out in the sport.

I haven't seen much of the magpul pro 700 but from what i can see on paper it looks very appealing. I understand the price on release was quite high but they are heavily discounted here in australia at the moment which is why i am considering it.

Thanks for the help guys, please understand that this is a massive purchase for me and my first custom build which i want to be 100%.

Cheers

Get the magpul.
You can’t fit a rifle in your pickup? 🤔

You can take it off and then rezero but that’s a pain compared to not having to.

Get the magpul.
You can’t fit a rifle in your pickup? 🤔

You can take it off and then rezero but that’s a pain compared to not having to.

It is a single cab and i would like to fit the bag behind the front seats if that makes sense. Obviously i can put it in the tray but i would feel more secure with it inside the cab.

Have you used the magpul pro 700? Keen to see how it balances on barricades etc

You don’t want a vector.
Especially living in Australia where your warranty means nothing. Get yourself something else that has a higher chance of not having issues and from a company that actually gives a dam about customer service.
What issues are people having with the vector? Our distributor here in Australia seems good to deal with but i see what you mean with the warranty side of things

Get a Terminus. Just finished 4 days of training in Alaska and heard enough stories about Curtis that I'd just go with Terminus. Joel's a great guy to work with.
The only thing that is stopping me going for the terminus is the possibility of missing out on the potential 22lr conversion that the vectors are going to have. That would save me a few thousand building up another dedicated 22lr rifle and scope for some rimfire comps.

Do you still have to file the mag catch on a Terminus with the smaller bolt size?

The only thing that is stopping me going for the terminus is the possibility of missing out on the potential 22lr conversion that the vectors are going to have. That would save me a few thousand building up another dedicated 22lr rifle and scope for some rimfire comps.

I understand the niceness of having that conversion but honestly who knows until it's proven out. You could end up just having two sub par rifles instead of 1 good one and saving up for another good one. My Terminus right now I have a 6GT, 308, and about to get a 6.5 cm barrel. It was fun getting that setup. I did PR1 with a 308, and then did a PR2 class with 6GT. Fun to swap calibers so easily.

Reactions: Lamb
I understand the niceness of having that conversion but honestly who knows until it's proven out. You could end up just having two sub par rifles instead of 1 good one and saving up for another good one. My Terminus right now I have a 6GT, 308, and about to get a 6.5 cm barrel. It was fun getting that setup. I did PR1 with a 308, and then did a PR2 class with 6GT. Fun to swap calibers so easily.
How is the return to zero? Could you remove the barrel for transport and easily rezero before the match? Did you have to modify anything to get it to feed reliably?

Cheers

How is the return to zero? Could you remove the barrel for transport and easily rezero before the match? Did you have to modify anything to get it to feed reliably?

Cheers

You can add witness marks once you get it set up to torque it back to the same spot.

I get my return to zero by .1 Mil which is close enough.

You can add witness marks once you get it set up to torque it back to the same spot.

I get my return to zero by .1 Mil which is close enough.
That's pretty impressive. Did you see the POI shift if you smacked it into a barricade or similar if its only hand tight?

That's pretty impressive. Did you see the POI shift if you smacked it into a barricade or similar if its only hand tight?

It has 2 set screws, like an AI. I tighten them to 10 in/lbs. I dropped my rifle actually on day 2 of the course off a tank trap. It kept the same zero. I also didn't have a hard range bag, and it was bouncing around in the back of a pickup truck everyday of the 4 day course going to and from the range back to the lodge. Kept zero.

With the vector what type of barrel are you getting a hand tight? And what does that mean? Do I tighten it hand tight a then torque the set screws? Use a go no go after to check it.

With the vector what type of barrel are you getting a hand tight? And what does that mean? Do I tighten it hand tight a then torque the set screws? Use a go no go after to check it.

For the first time getting a barrel, I do a headspace check, but after that it shoulders the same place over and over. I'll screw it on until it's hand tight, and then I usually loosen it up a little bit, and do one big screw motion and shoulder/clank it. I find that the most reliable way to have consistent position. I then tighten the set screws to 10 in/lbs.

With the barrel on I haven't had any shift in zero, lugging it in the back of a truck and shooting a few hundred rounds. When removing the barrel and putting it back on, I'm usually within +/- .1mil.

Magpul 700 Pro's are very adjustable and well made. There is no way I'd want to take my barrel on and off every trip to the range no matter what the retention mechanism was.

The fact that some Curtis sponsored shooters are drooling over the Bighorn/Zermatt Rim-X should be a clue...