• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

curtius customs axiom!!

47guy

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
first i want to say thanks to Joel russo and Chase curtis...these guys are WAY beyond helpful and have set the bar extremely high when it comes to customer service and their action is the finest piece ive ever handled!!!

i will try to keep this short but try to fill in all the details as best i can...so some buddies and i went in on a group buy and bought 6 axioms...mine is fully DLC the rest are only the bolt...because my buddies are cheap bastards lol!!

i had my smith spin on a 8 twist heavy palma hawkhill at 23" in 6.5x47 in a MPA comp chassis.i picked it up friday last week threw on the scope and ran some dummies through it...FLAWLESS!!
i went out early saturday and shot some RDFs over varget and right away stated having issues...it was dropping the cases back into the port...i shot 63 rounds and almost everyone dropped into the port.

i came home and started feeding it empties...it only ejected about 20 out of about 150...i made a couple of videos and sent them to my smith and to joel.
we all thought ejector or extractor...now heres where it gets good...sunday i was on my way to a NRL22 match and joel calls from his bear hunting trip(thats CS right there)and says send the bolt back so he could look at it and swap out the ejector and extractor on tuesday when he got back from hunting.
i sent it next day monday he swapped parts tuesday and next dayed it back on tuesday and i got it wednesday.

i went out thursday(yesterday)and shot 137 rounds(fire forming and load development)and i bet only 5 of the 137 ejected the rest fell back in the port...im not real happy at this point because i love this action...as close as your going to get to a benchrest action in a tactical suit!!!

i call my smith and text joel another video...my buddy was going up to our smith so he took my rifle with him(side note we tried 3 other bolts and same thing). joel texts this morning and says pull the scope and try it...the brass is hitting the windage turret...i dont see it but ok...im west coast joel is east coast so my smith is still sleeping...about an hour latter my smith calls(and this is where i start feeling like a retard)and says come get you gun the brass is hitting the windage turret...still doubtful i go pick it up and he shows me...we run 10 or 20 through it and its ejecting flawlessly...even though im feeling pretty stupid at this point am happy as a pig in shit!!!

i get it home remount the scope an 1" or so forward and ran 75-100 empties through it and it sent everyone flying without a hiccup!! theres a little more to all of this but you guys get the idea and i hate typing...when i first talked to Joel he said that he would fix the problem and if he couldnt he would send me a new bolt,a new action or refund my money...if that wasnt enough the fact that he called me from a hunting trip says all you need to know about these guys...chase also called me but because i was already talking with Joel he let him handle it.

anyway,another big thanks to Joel russo and Chase Curtis!! a few pics to follow in a few....

The windage turret from the bottom...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20171124\/14f770d3afdd8173e16efdf08303c590.jpg"}[/IMG2]

About were the scope was and where it is now and running...might have been a little farther back...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20171124\/e1bde4b8227b27b22bbd7c63bb4c2759.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20171124\/4a8358ae9cdbeba94a5f4f176e4efdd0.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not an uncommon thing at all. I wouldnt want to move the scope that far forward just to make the thing eject, as that’s a major ergonomic change. Was the case coming straight up off the bolt face and hitting the turret, or does it nick the bottom of the ejection port first? Good little tool for this is using the slo-mo vid feature on your cell phone to record it.

If it’s going straight into the turret, you may be able to shape the ejecter to lower the ejection path. Essentially relieve some material off the 6 o’clock position of the ejector. Yoo could also play with spring tension in the ejector. Just a thought....

im not 100% sure exactly where the case was hitting first..im guessing the neck/mouth of the cases were hitting first by looking at the videos i made frame by frame...the cases come out so fast even in slowmo its hard to see.
i have a surgeon that had this scope and rings on it in the same place and never an issue...as far as the ergonomic change the only issue i have is the short-er LOP which will be a simple adjustment on my part...ill post some load development groups tomorrow and some at 550yds if its not to windy....calling for 60MPH gusts mid morning,

If you compare the location of the extractors between the two actions, you’ll see why the surgeon didnt have a problem. There was a time when surgeons were bouncing cases back into the port, but that was due to the shape of the rear of the port if i recall. What you need is a lower angle of ejection, like the surgeon. Happy shooting.

I bet a tad higher ring would solve it too. Looks plenty low and wouldn't be too high if you moved up to a medium ARC since I assume they are lows?

My Stiller had the same issue, ejecting brass right into the scope turret then back into the action. I fixed the issue by working on the extractor. Pull the extractor out of the bolt, then file a *tiny* bit of the inside bottom edge of the extractor. Basically taking the inside corner off and putting a small 45 degree bevel there instead. That will cause the brass to eject at a different angle. Start small and work up, a small amount of filing makes a big change.

Glad you sorted the ejection issue. More importantly, how's the rifle shooting? I've got an MPA comp chassis on order so keen to hear how you're finding yours.

sixfivesavage..

yes lows and i may at some point try a set of mediums.

sheldon N...

its running flawlessly now...i may have my smith do this when i re-barrel as he was saying the same thing.

KWilson...

LOVE the MPA and im a chassis hater...i like this chassis so much i ordered one for my CZ455 the first time i shot it! the rifle is shooting fantastic the shooter not so much LOL!
i started with the 140g RDFs and it didnt care for them much so i shot some 130g berger hybrids and they shoot pretty good but have to be around 2900 to be comparable to a 140g berger hybrid at 2700.
the 140g bergers hybrids are what ive settled on and still playing with seating depth....015 and .035 off with 37.5g of varget are grouping pretty nice im going to try .010 and .040 off next weekend and if its not what im looking for im going to drop down to 36.9g of varget which is about 2720fps and shot 2 groups just under a 1/2" during the brass hitting the scope issue.

also i was able to move the scope back just under a 1/2" and everything still clears...this helped a bunch so im expecting things to come together next weekend when i get back out.