• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Custom 10/22 "mini A5" stock, pics

Captain Kirk

Roberts Tactical Precison
Banned !
I have been considering building a custom stock for a Ruger 10/22, so I decided just to do it. Since I have a tendency to start a project and not take pictures of progress, I thought I would post stages of the project, the end result will be similar to a mini McMillan A5. The idea was to fabricate a stock from scratch, but after looking at the time I would have to invest, I decided to start with the factory wood stock as a platform.

Step 1 is to open up the facory barrel channel to fit the aftermarket bull barrel, making sure there is additional room to avoid barrel contact. This was achieved by wrapping sandpaper around a wooden dowel of similar dimensions to the barrel. Steps to follow will be molding the forend, pistol grip, and butt of stock, as well as gell coating the stock and bedding the action. Here are a few pics.

91CRX021.jpg

91CRX023.jpg

91CRX020.jpg

91CRX024.jpg

Re: Custom 10/22 "mini A5" stock, pics

Step 2, trace the shape of the existing stock, followed by drawing the desired shape on a piece of paper. I will use this drawing to ensure any material added or removed will fit in the lines of the drawing.

Step 3 was to remove any additional material of the wood stock and sand to rough up for better adheasion, as well as installing wooden dowels to give the fiberglass and filler something to adhere to.

91CRX028.jpg

91CRX029.jpg

I started adding material to the stock here in the next stage. In the rear of the stock I am removing a substantial amount of wood in the pistol grip area, so I wanted a stronger material, Duraglass was used (Kitty-Hair will work well). I used the Duraglass for the entire butt end to build it up, it is much thicker than body filers and does no run. Word of caution, when this stuff starts setting up, you want to use a cheese gratter for bodywork to get the shape roughed in, when it hardens, it is very difficult to sand.

For the forend, I used Rage Gold body filler, it is a light weight filler, very strong, but fairly easy to sand. Here are a few pics.

91CRX034.jpg

91CRX033.jpg

91CRX031.jpg

91CRX032.jpg

91CRX030.jpg

This is incredible. Thanks for the write up thus far. Where is the best place to buy the supplies?

KRock459..
This is also neat concept for all us CZ guys that are looking to improve the standard stock. Nice work.

RJ

Any suggestions to keep the molding near the forend symmetrical? Did you use a mold or just sand to match?

Cool concept - keep it up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hubbard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is incredible. Thanks for the write up thus far. Where is the best place to buy the supplies? </div></div>

Any auto body supply store, Duraglass is a fiberglass filer, Bondo can be used on the forend where strength isnt as critical. I thought of using a "A-B" two part foam or the build up, sanding the foam to shape, and applying the filler over that. If weight is a primary concern, this would help keep the weight down.

As far as keeping the dimensions accurate, it came down to measuring the factory A5 and reducing the dimensions by about 15%. As I get further into the project, I am using the "eyeball it" method, which has been working fine. I am using the rifle as a trainer, so I am trying to duplicate the A5 as close as possible.

Kirk R

You need to make this a kit, with templates and stuff. I would buy it right now. I would love to do this to mine.

I was able to work on the butt section today, stock is near complete. I want to put a little more work into the pistol grip area, but currently it feels very good. Next step will be a fiberglass gel-coat finish to seal up the wood, as well as textring the pistol grip and forend, and then its on to bedding the action.

Here is a pic of the butt spacers system, I will machine a rubber butt pad, and the length of pull will be adjustable
91CRX036.jpg

You can see here, the cheekpiece area and offhand cutout are very similar
91CRX040.jpg

91CRX041.jpg

pic of stock and action
91CRX038.jpg

91CRX037.jpg

Looking good Buddy !

After shooting mine yesterday I am definitely feeling the need for a more vertical grip .I have a flat aftermarket trigger and its tough getting my finger on it nice and flat with the factory stock .

so really, how much do you like the carbon fiber barrel? i am really thinking about selling all my steel barrels and getting some of those steel liner aluminum tubed things just because they gotta be lighter than solid steel. nice looking stock. its coming along

Stock shape is almost complete. Here in the next step, I applied a light coat of black spray paint to highlight any problem ares. It still needs some work in the pistol grip area. The next step is to fill in any small pits in the finish, and then its on to gel-coat.

91CRX045.jpg

91CRX044.jpg

flat bottom beavertail foregrip
91CRX046.jpg

That is incredibly cool, a perfect example of how creativity, planning, and hard work can achieve as much, or more than just throwing money at something. I can’t wait to see the finished product, thanks a lot for documenting it.

I also have to agree with what a few others have said as well, you could potentially have a very good market for either a readymade kit to do this, or making and selling them yourself to people. I am sure it wouldn’t take much to refine the production process down to an easily repeatable science.

Great job on this stock, how long did that whole process take you? I was wondering if anyone made something like that and never even thought of what you came up with.. very creative!!! I can't wait to see the end product.

I hate to add yellow liquid to your morning cereal...

somebody stole it already

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/newproducts.html

I am however confident that yours would set more solid than the plastic imitator .. and would order one from you vs. B&C

I saw this happen on a call makers website,.. could we have been farmed for some "free R&D" like the call makers were ?

John

The B&C has been around for a while . Its not even a very good imitation .

Thanks for clearing me up on that Michael,..
I just get tired of seeing folks get "almost to market" and get stomped by a big company glad this isn't the case..

Kudos to KRock459 for an awesome build

John

P.S. I had it happen as a sailmaker back in 1993...

I'd be REALLY interested in one for a savage mkII!!

I don't have a semi auto .22 rifle at the moment, but I did just buy a can and am thinking of setting up a 10/22 for 60gr SSS. If I do I'd be interested in one for a 10/22 as well

The B&C has a roll over comb , a grip that goes beyond vertical , no butt hook and a square fore-end .

They are very different stocks .

If you knew someone with a stock duplicator you could make one of these alot faster from this point on. there is a guy in Weatherford that does this with m1a stocks. builds a proto like you have done then sends it to be duplicated and makes adjustments.

That's bad ass, I'm going to make one. Hope you don't mind. LOL

you could always talk with boyds about duplicating that stock. supply the blank for a template and get a cut of the sales. and free stocks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Passport223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got any new pics? Like to hear any new updates. </div></div>

Ask and you shall receive. I have a little work in the thumb relief area as well as rounding out the bottom of the butt-hook, should be complete tonight. Here are a few pics of the progress.

91CRX061.jpg

91CRX060.jpg

91CRX059.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I know you have kids, when do you find time to do stuff like that! </div></div>

My kids are the ones doing all the work, child labor laws dont apply in my house.....
grin.gif

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I know you have kids, when do you find time to do stuff like that! </div></div>

My kids are the ones doing all the work, child labor laws dont apply in my house.....
grin.gif

</div></div>

Perfect, I've got some brass that needs to be prepped, I'll give them a nickel per piece.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Perfect, I've got some brass that needs to be prepped, I'll give them a nickel per piece."</span>

You would be overpaying them, I pay them with fruit loops. Hell, I'll do it for 5 cents a piece
whistle.gif

Kirk R

I have about 10-12 hours into it now. I plan on this one going to the stock duplication machine, so it has received more care and needs to be exact. If it where a one time build, I would be done, painted and mounted.

Kirk R